The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

• 1 month later...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-10-16/jaywalking-laws-don-t-make-streets-safer?srnd=citylab

Article on jaywalking laws and how they're detrimental to public safety as well as racially discriminatory--relevant in light of the rash of pedestrian fatalities recently here in Nashville (complete sentences are not in my repertoire this morning)

37 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

You must not go down on Broadway much as people just walk anywhere and anytime they like. Against the light, in the middle of the street, in the street, and the list goes on. As a driver, I try to avoid that stretch as much as possible when there are a lot of pedestrians around because most of the people visiting have had a few too many or just have their head up their rear end, and are from Podunck Arkansas and are looking up at the tall buildings and saying, OMG with their mouth wide open.

Lower Broad is a case for just shutting it down to traffic but the business owners like Steve Smith are too dense to see it would help, not hurt.

The whole traffic situation is a part of the grittiness that gives Lower Broad its appeal-cutting that off would make it feel more sedate.

No more "transpotainment" in other words.

What they need to do is finish putting in the rest of the bollards.

Perhaps occasionally on the weekends or maybe a Predators game night but please not all the time.

Broadway is not like Beale Street-it is the major thoroughfare leaving downtown to West Nashville-its cross streets move traffic from downtown to South Nashville and back. 

All you have to do is look at what happened in Memphis on Main Street with Mid America Mall and in Chicago with State Street Mall.

And didn't they make 2nd Ave a pedestrian only street for a while in the evenings? They don't do that anymore do they?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

I quickly went through the article. I can see the arguments but I wonder what Broadway would be like if folks could  just walk anywhere, anytime. Traffic in downtown would be great fun.

The article mentioned that pedestrian fatalities (and injuries) are more likely to happen on high speed roads with few cross walks or sidewalks and where people still need to walk. So, like Dickerson Pike and Gallatin Pike which have seen at least 5 pedestrian fatalities this year alone. Furthermore, the article didn't really advocate for or give examples where pedestrians are encouraged to cross anywhere, anytime. It simply advocated for decriminalizing jaywalking which might have the ancillary effect of putting more responsibility on drivers as opposed to all the responsibility on pedestrians. The country with the safest roads, Norway, still has crosswalks and signals

In Las Vegas there are barriers to keep you from crossing the strip. You have to go the extra block or two to cross via the skybridge. I would be all for that here. As a matter of fact there needs to be a number of skybridges over several areas especially around the MCC.

I would be all for limiting pedestrian street crossing from 1st all the way to the Interstate and have skybridges over Broadway every two blocks and skybridges over the Interstate as well.

13 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Skybridges, in my opinion, are an outdated relic of the seventies and eighties used by municipalities as a last ditch solution once they have given up on trying to actually build their cities with pedestrians in mind.  They are killers to street level retail too.  

Las Vegas has a vibrant street level retail activation. You just can't cross in the middle of the street, so you are forced to walk the sidewalk to the next bridge before you can cross, so you have to pass that retail.

It may not work in every city, but cities with huge tourist foot traffic like Vegas and Nashville with tons of auto traffic, it would work fine.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Baronakim said:

As an architect,  my solution to the pedestrian  midstreet crossover on Lower broad from 1st to about 6th would be a physical wall about 4 feet high on both sides of Broad to literally force pedestrians to use legal crossings at the street corners.  Some form of removable metal panels, perhaps retractable ones even,  or gates could open up the wall during events when the street is closed for massive events.  This kind of wall would have to built with substantial increases in the sidewalk widths which are desparately needed anyway.  To some extent this is is functionally accomplishesd now with temporary barriers like K-rails but what is needed is an a permanent and integral solution with safe streetscaping.  Skybridges would not work 'fine' in Nashville.

I do like the idea of flexible things like that. Push a button, Broadway  is set up for normal weekend activity. Push a button a button it's set up for Draft like activities. Push a button, walls raise on the sidewalks around the businesses and create a flood barrier, essentially turning the streets into giant canals/drainage ditches for big floods (which would be awesome and I assume ridiculously expensive).

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Baronakim said:

As an architect,  my solution to the pedestrian  midstreet crossover on Lower broad from 1st to about 6th would be a physical wall about 4 or 5  feet high on both sides of Broad to literally force pedestrians to use legal crossings at the street corners.  Some form of removable metal panels, perhaps retractable ones even,  or gates could open up the wall during events when the street is closed for massive events.  Building physical walls  would greatly reduce  need for the kind of retractable flood wall proposed in the past.  The openings and ends at cross streest could be designed for insertion of flood panels to protect buildings from floods rather than the massive street areas.  This would greatly reduce the required protection to much smaller opening protections.This is similar to the flood walls in Paducah.  Wouldn't it be grand if they could be painted with a history of country music or the history of that area of Nashville  like the fantastic panels in Paducah?  

images.jpg

SSS.jpg

FFF.jpg

I like these ideas.  : )

AT least we can talk about it on here. I will say there are a lot of stupid people walking around downtown and out of the hotels, so lets go back to the original version and just shut lower Broad down to traffic. 

As far as transportainment, we did just fine before we had it, and would be no skin of my rear if we did without it, but I realize it would raise a big stink if they did. At some point they are going to have to heavily regulate it and limit where they can go, what hours of operation, etc. I don' think there is another city in this country that has tractors and pull behind hay wagons driving drunk people around their downtown. This idiocy should be banned.

As far as the skybridges go drunks will do what drunks do and to that I say I do not have any sympathy for them and their stupid antics. If they do something that will get the seriously injured or killed then they will qualify for the Darwin Award. 

We are going to have to address the situation of people crossing wherever they want to cross coming out of these hotels at some point. Nashville has done and is doing a poor job of traffic and pedestrian management downtown. They need to take the crosswalks a step further and add verbal signals to them...DON'T WALK... WALK...I have seen that in numerous other cities and Nashville is always trying to save a buck doing things on the cheap and now they are in a budget situation and cant' even afford a new police car if things work out with the referendum.

Another example of doing things on the cheap were the bollards, as they ran out of money to do all of Lower broad. Someone miscalculated how much they needed to do the project, however I really like the idea about a removable wall. But again the bar owners on one side of the street will complain people can' see their bar from the other side of the street. 

This is a good article about Mayor Cooper's updated Draft Transportation Plan. The only thing off is the last sentence about Metro Council voting on it in Novemeber. I've read other articles that say the plan would be presented to Councilmembers in early 2021.

https://www.nashvillescene.com/news/pith-in-the-wind/article/21143680/mayors-office-releases-longer-draft-of-transportation-plan?fbclid=IwAR2j5H37vCI7WHn-rE71MnsPbwCkrBZYpf8T8mIboxZlGcW19UfcalDR-w0

Here's a link to an updated draft of Mayor Cooper's Draft Transportation Plan:

https://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MayorsOffice/docs/Transportation/Metro-Nashville-Transportation-Plan-2020.pdf?fbclid=IwAR30_Oe_EDyUW2x3m7Lq3sQvKkfwgt_xoostH0eUjatbak2R5JFgjx3HpCc

The public comment period is wrapping up soon, on Oct 31st.

Here's a link to the survey for more feedback on the draft: 

https://hub.nashville.gov/s/request-type/a0ut00000015BiqAAE/transportation-plan-survey?language=en_US&fbclid=IwAR2Il3mKxLVYDIi7ReFqqothe4CjWPxBSsH1oQy_jxJzGuLJE-fmA_haMqY

These are two Neighborhood Transit Centers. They're referenced in Section 2's "Financial Strategies for Transportation"

1664392863_ScreenShot2020-10-26at5_47_20PM.thumb.png.9dc9752ab444b8008b0e5c4441c62ba2.png

1041439255_ScreenShot2020-10-26at5_48_50PM.thumb.png.099667a1e3a2bd97807f828a8a3f4823.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

And in case anyone missed it, the guy who designed the double decker freeway/automatic everything plan turns out to be absolutely bonkers (and put Swope on his payroll): https://www.newschannel5.com/news/newschannel-5-investigates/architectural-visionarys-incredible-claims-riddled-with-incredible-questions-nc5-investigation-finds

Edited by 12Mouth
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, 12Mouth said:

And in case anyone missed it, the guy who designed the double decker freeway/automatic everything plan turns about to be absolutely bonkers (and put Swope on his payroll): https://www.newschannel5.com/news/newschannel-5-investigates/architectural-visionarys-incredible-claims-riddled-with-incredible-questions-nc5-investigation-finds

and unethical per AIA Code of Ethics, yikes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 12Mouth said:

And in case anyone missed it, the guy who designed the double decker freeway/automatic everything plan turns about to be absolutely bonkers (and put Swope on his payroll): https://www.newschannel5.com/news/newschannel-5-investigates/architectural-visionarys-incredible-claims-riddled-with-incredible-questions-nc5-investigation-finds

So literally just a gigantic LIAR and people keep believing him. 

Not false claims, or discrepancies, lies. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...