The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

45 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

No offense to either of these cities, because they both certainly have their charms (especially The Ham,) but the fact that we are now well behind cities like Oklahoma City and Birmingham when it comes to mass transit is, frankly, disgraceful.

The Megan Barry scandal set this city back years on that front, IMO.

• Like 1

The city is negotiating with 3 scooter companies for the right operate in Nashville under new rules. They will each be able to place up to 500 scooters in Davidson County.  There had been as many as 4,100 scooters here in mid-2019 before Metro started cracking down. 

More details at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2021/01/20/nashville-scooters-bid-rfp.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_34&cx_artPos=2#cxrecs_s

• Like 2

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

The city is negotiating with 3 scooter companies for the right operate in Nashville under new rules. They will each be able to place up to 500 scooters in Davidson County.  There had been as many as 4,100 scooters here in mid-2019 before Metro started cracking down. 

More details at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2021/01/20/nashville-scooters-bid-rfp.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_34&cx_artPos=2#cxrecs_s

I hate those blasted things and they should not be allowed in bike lanes or anywhere IMO. I ride a bike every now and again and the people that ride these things have no regard for anyone or anything but themselves. They do not follow the rules about riding on the sidewalks and they do not follow the bike lane rules either. I have had them crash right in front of me and seen idiots almost run over by trucks.

As a pedestrian, I have gotten into verbal confrontations with these FOOLS for almost hitting me and the response was, "then get out of my way dude". Nashville does not Need THEM! 

Again the discussion starts... Ban These things... The people that rent them are rude or inexperienced riders. Downtown was much more pleasant without them before they were ever here.

• Thanks 1

The bikes happen on sidewalk too and in many cities you can be fined for riding your bike on the sidewalk and that should be the case here too. That happens a lot with the bike rentals and they should follow the rules like every one else. We just have not had the same issue with the bikes that we had with scooters because of the shear numbers.

Hopefully this new police chief will enforce the rules and start cracking down on the dummies'.

• Like 1

The scooters, even now, are left strewn everywhere, blocking sidewalks and  the ADA ramps of sidewalks. They are toys that are cast aside by the careless in total disregard of the results to others. If the scooter rental companies and their customers can’t be more responsible, I’m in favor of their complete and total banishment from our city. (If used appropriately  and within the guidelines established, they could be a reasonable transportation option. So far, they have fallen far short of that goal.)

Edited by donNdonelson2
  • Like 3

Shopping theory/psychology.

Charge a crazy fee ($50.00?) made at rental.  The fee is only returned when scooter is "returned appropriately."  The only problem is what is appropriate (crowd-source corrals, etc.?) and how do you determine the return (picture, gps, etc.?).  Maybe some small form of structure like car or moving vehicle rentals?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, timmay143 said:

Shopping theory/psychology.

Charge a crazy fee ($50.00?) made at rental.  The fee is only returned when scooter is "returned appropriately."  The only problem is what is appropriate (crowd-source corrals, etc.?) and how do you determine the return (picture, gps, etc.?).  Maybe some small form of structure like car or moving vehicle rentals?

There might still be time to submit input on how these contracts are finalized. 

1304215581_ScreenShot2021-01-21at3_27_53PM.png.0b876281d024c31319676eb01205434f.png

Here's the metro website for the Transportation Licensing Commission (A Division of Public Works) 

and contact info:

2060981103_ScreenShot2021-01-21at3_31_13PM.png.ef26e59b7a594883da4551162a7c6c64.png

Looking at these memos, there's language about "dedicated and preferred parking areas where SUMDs can park without penalty as long as they are properly parked and upright... [and] 3. Parking an SUMD outside of a corral within the restricted parking zone shall result in a $10 fine assessed upon the operator. The fine shall be remitted to the Metropolitan Government within 60 days. Operators are not prohibited from seeking reimbursement of such fines from users whose actions incurred the assessment of fines."

Shared Urban Mobility Device (SUMD) Memo: https://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/TLC/docs/SUMD-StreetParkingMemo.pdf

SUMD Restricted Zones Map  https://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/TLC/docs/SUMD-RestrictedParkingMapDowntown.pdf

These restrictions are limited to the most tourist-heavy parts of downtown only.

A city-wide policy seems like a no brainer, so maybe I just haven't found that yet.

Edited by Nicholson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2021 at 11:45 AM, smeagolsfree said:

Ban These things... The people that rent them are rude or inexperienced riders. Downtown was much more pleasant without them before they were ever here.

By removing the context of the conversation this can be applied to Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Pedestrians, Scooters.

I come from a region that is notorious for brave/rude/reckless driving, but the benefit of that is I know to drive defensively and was never in a major accedient. I have experienced more bad driving (trucks, cars and scooters) than I have ever seen in my life. The biggest danger is I never know if that driving is going to be over agressive driving overly defensive driving, both of which cause major concerns.

Scooters are only a very small perecentage of the problem. I agree that is it is a good mode of transportation around the city. I have used it countless times moving around the city. Scooters are still better than the Transpotainment Vehicles.

• Like 4