TopTenn

The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

No offense to either of these cities, because they both certainly have their charms (especially The Ham,) but the fact that we are now well behind cities like Oklahoma City and Birmingham when it comes to mass transit is, frankly, disgraceful.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

No offense to either of these cities, because they both certainly have their charms (especially The Ham,) but the fact that we are now well behind cities like Oklahoma City and Birmingham when it comes to mass transit is, frankly, disgraceful.

The Megan Barry scandal set this city back years on that front, IMO.

7 hours ago, downtownresident said:

The Megan Barry scandal set this city back years on that front, IMO.

Maybe... but if that's all it took to derail the momentum then I'm not sure how serious the city's mass transit ambitions were to begin with.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 9:12 PM, MLBrumby said:

A key thing that Nashville hasn't quite understood or valued is that a city must have a solid plan that's backed by its citizenry for such federal grants to be awarded to them.

Correct. Raleigh's first Bus Rapid Transit project was just awarded $35 million FTA grant. Plus Raleigh/Durham's GoTriangle transit org was awarded $20 million to build the new BRT/regional bus station in downtown Raleigh next to the new federally funded Raleigh Union Station. The region expects half a billion dollars in federal assistance as it builds out its BRT and commuter rail projects. All thanks to solid planning--lord knows you can't count on the state government or NCDOT. 

Edited by carolina1792
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, KJHburg said:

add Raleigh to the list of cities moving forward with Bus Rapid Transit.  Planning is ongoing now and the first corridor has been picked.    As for Nashville I think one Rapid Bus Line or even light rail line should be done on the corridor with the highest bus ridership now.  Let people see how it works then expand it.  

Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) | Raleighnc.gov

Here is a video on their first corridor

Thanks for posting. Until Nashville and the State can come together over dedicated lanes for BRT, we will still continue to have our cruddie BRT light.

If my memory serves me the state passed a law out of spite to keep Nashville from closing any lane for a dedicated BRT or LRT line that is a state highway.

Besides with the current administration,  there is no grand vision. There needs to be a change of Metro leadership and a melding of the minds between the State & Metro governments soon.

I am not saying this mayor cannot get it done, maybe he can, but right now I have not seen any kind of BOLD vision for Metro. If nothing is done over the next 4 years or so, then Nashville may end up having the worst traffic in the Nation. The Mayors current plan is lacking both substance and vision, not to mention is does nothing to help with traffic congestion and half of the money does not even address anything to do with mas transit. When the Covid crisis is over and things are back to normal, this will become a very real problem again. Right now its not, again because people are so blasted fickle, they can only deal with the elephant or elephants  in the room, and not the tidal wave that is coming in behind them.

The voter will demand change and demand it quickly, and it will end up having to be a regional comprehensive plan. Nashville will continue to be left behind the rest of the Nation.

One thing I will add about the Nashville BRT light is this. All it is, is a bus running the exact same route as a regular bus with less stops. I have seen the regular bus and the BRT lt running right behind each other because they are stuck in traffic. So to call Nashville's BRT Lt a BRT Lt is not accurate even thoughthat is what Merro calls it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1