The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

5 hours ago, MagicPotato said:

I always wondered why didn't  Wilson county  grow nearly as much as Williamson, Montgomery, and Rutherford county.  The land is pretty flat,  close distance from Nashville ,  and the Music City Star is located there.  I don't know but if I had a real estate business that area would be a prime location. Wouldn't it just be simple as to build out the areas near the train stations? 

Because you got a bunch of old farmers running the county. They don’t like change or growth, I’ve moved here in 2006 and I could already tell you about 10 big projects that were said to completely change Lebanon into a Cool Springs type city. And nothing ever got pass planning.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Once those Jed Clampett's start seeing how much money they can get for raising buildings instead of cows & beans they may change their crop.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not in favor of widespread suburban growth but there can be controlled urban growth in certain areas as long as it is dense. We do need farms!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Dust off the Mayor Berry plan, rebrand  recalculate everything, done and done. (dusts off hands).

My memory is fuzzy on it but it's pretty similar to this Austin plan isn't it?

It’s almost like Austin took Mayor Berry’s plan and tweaked it a little and BOOM !!! There it is!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

"The most important thing is we saw a huge influx in the last several years of 20- to 29-year-old voters," Cooper said. "We saw that and it was something we were scurrying to be able to take advantage of. That probably turned out to be as important as anything."

It's a little worrisome that Austin's transit authority seems more concerned with finding the right demographic to vote for their plan than whether their plan serves the public.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PHofKS said:

I wonder if the Nashville-Chattanooga line will follow the existing rail line through the Cowan Tunnel (2,200ft). It will be a slow ride up the mountain.

Y'all folks familiar with TDOT can probably tell more, but years ago with the high speed rail proposal, it was stated CSX and TDOT would be willing to partner with a tunnel under Monteagle

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

Cincy-Louisville-Nashville anyone?  Um, that's a catchment of about 5 million!  Does Nashville have any representative in Congress?  What's his name... Cooper, or something? 

Would help if the Nashville line connected to Louisville to access Chicago. As is, it really limits destinations to the south and east coast

1 hour ago, Binbin98 said:

I can finally go from Miami to Nashville direct on a train although that would take awhile longer than a flight would.

Yes, flying is faster, but much better experience on the train, from spacious seating to FOOD!!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Cincy-Louisville-Nashville anyone?  Um, that's a catchment of about 5 million!  Does Nashville have any representative in Congress?  What's his name... Cooper, or something? 

That's what I thought too.  I'm thrilled that they thought to (finally) include us in their expansion plans, but I'm afraid any service might be borderline useless if it doesn't provide Nashvillians with access to the Midwest and East Coast as well.  I mean, Atlanta is nice and all... but we deserve more than to be just some isolated (as Amtrak routes go) secondary outpost of Atlanta.

• Like 2

Screw Amtrak, It needs to be High speed rail. They just need to start over Amtrak is just too slow. Give it to the private sector and let them run with High speed and then we will be makin bacon. Due to the slow speed of Amtrak I would never use the service if I can drive as fast as the train.

• Like 2

I've read a high level rundown of the propsal from the Biden administration.  For the price of the proposed infrastructure bill, it won't get us much infrastructure. A beefed up passenger rail (whether hi-speed or otherwise) from Chicago to Miami would be a big winner. But regarding the rail proposals, it's just putting lipstick on a pig. Still going through it. 

• Like 3

^ Smeags, I'm doing a 'reply' to the infrastructure bill for an independent think tank client.  We're the unsung  'zeros'  who push back on bad legislation (from both parties).   So far my staff has calculated that around 7% of the total bill will go to real infrastructure. There's a lot of regulatory 'bones' thrown to big donors and a lot of fluff that's only there to appease certain big-money interest groups.  A billion dollars is a lot of money, but small in relation to government spending. How far would a billion go in building a passenger-exclusive leg of rail between Cincinnati and Nashville?  Why isn't Nashville's Congressional rep beating this drum?  He voted as a back-bencher for a trillon-dollar health bill.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Amtrak to Nashville without connecting routes to the north is a waste of money. If you can’t do it right, then don’t do it..I would be more inclined to ride if it went north to Chicago, but to Atlanta....No Thanks. I want to go to a city with a good transit system and Atlanta does not have a good transit system. Bare bones at best. So that is why I want my car.

The cost of riding in comfort is not worth it to me. I love to drive and that does not bother me in the least. When I drive a 12 hour driving day is normal.

It makes sense to me to connect Nashville not just to Louisville but further on to Cincinnati.  Not only would that give Nashville a connection to both the Midwest and East Coast, but it would also open up the entire southeastern US to the Midwest/Great Lakes area.  It's crazy, but there really is no direct rail connection between Chicago and Atlanta/Florida without going all the way south to New Orleans and then all the way east, then north/south to your destination, and even that option would be no more under the new plan if they get rid of the Mobile to Jax route.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1