The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

Tennessee ranks 4th worst nationally in truck bottlenecks, and Nashville has 66% of them.

•  (13) Nashville: I-24/I-40 at I-440 (East)
  • (35) Nashville: I-40 at I-65 (East)
  •  (77) Nashville: I-65 at I-24
  •  (88) Nashville: I-65 at SR 386

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2021/04/08/tennessee-ranks-fourth-in-truck-bottlenecks.html

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bnacincy said:

I know it wouldn't be cheap or without controversy but Nashville really does need the 840 north loop.  It would not only give trucks a way around Nashville without coming into town but also give these new distribution centers (and the ones that already exist) a way out of Nashville without going through downtown.

It would result in a safer interstate system in Davidson County  and  also spur economic growth in places like Robertson and Cheatham Counties.

Absolutely!!! It would be worth every penny spent. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

who ever designed that was either on drugs or just didn’t know what the hell they were doing! And Tdot engineers should be ashamed of themselves for even going along with it.

I think I read somewhere that GA Tech designed 440 or had input into its design; although, I'm not sure that is accurate..  BUT, it makes sense...RAMBLIN' WRECK!!!

On 4/1/2021 at 9:41 PM, jmtunafish said:

Anyone who's driven on I-40 has undoubtedly noticed the huge increase in traffic, both cars and trucks, particularly between Nashville and Knoxville.  

It can get quite congested...any and everyday.

Edited by tragenvol
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well then , I stand corrected. I guess it’s many factors that played out to give motorists that mess. Anyway and anyhow it came about, it needs to be addressed. It might have been adequate at that time back in the ‘60’s , but it’s barely usable now. As I said many time on different treads , the old Nashville is gone , time to start thinking like a big city and get the infrastructure fixed ASAP . 

• Like 4

PHofKS, would it be possible (and logical)  for Briley Parkway to be upgraded to interstate standards, with full limited access extended from I-40 (airport area) to I-24 southeast of town, so that all I-24 thru traffic could be routed away from downtown? That would surely offer some relief from the tangled mess that is the downtown loop!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

PHofKS, would it be possible (and logical)  for Briley Parkway to be upgraded to interstate standards, with full limited access extended from I-40 (airport area) to I-24 southeast of town, so that all I-24 thru traffic could be routed away from downtown? That would surely offer some relief from the tangled mess that is the downtown loop!

That’s a really good idea! That and bnacincy’s idea with I-840 north loop would both help tremendously.

I-840 North was killed because of the environmental impact of the southern half. In particular, that one stream with the endangered one-eyed snail darter (or something like that). That was the huge delay in completing the southern half. But that is the main reason the northern half was canceled.  Environmental impact was going to push costs too high

It was decided to be cheaper to upgrade Hwy 109 vs build the Lebanon to Portland leg of 840, thus. There was also debate about where a Portland to Lebanon leg would tie-in to I-40 - yes, tie-in to I-40, not connect to the current end of 840. Connecting near 109 would cut many miles off the route.

I have always believed that the Portland to Lebanon leg of 840 would be the biggest safety improvement for Nashville interstates through downtown

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I used to live in Dallas for awhile, even though their transit system is subpar, their interstate system is phenomenal. Yeah, there's still traffic during rush hour, but at least you had the option to choose alternate routes that doesn't deviate too much from the original time.  Nashville, needs to either have a better transit system, our a better interstate system. From the looks of it, we may be leaning towards the interstate option. They can't keep band-aiding the issues.  I don't know, but instead of having a full north loop, maybe we could just have a half loop that splits from Clarksville south to 840 near Dickson and then a North Eastern to Eastern corridor that connects from I-24 North to Springfield-White house-Gallatin-Lebanon?  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PHofKS said:

^^^^ I stand by my previous statements. Moving on.

With all due respect , no matter what the circumstances were in the past or how things unfolded. The interstates in Metro and all of Middle Tennessee are not no longer adequate for the amount of traffic they need to handle. Something has got to be done ... like yesterday. 

• Like 2

There's a similar fubar in the Raleigh area.

Currently under construction, but finishing in a few months, is the 2 mile I-885 connector in downtown Durham. It's part of a connection between I-85 and I-40. It's a big deal. But they only made it 2 lanes each way!   /headpalm

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Rockatansky said:

I'd rather we spent the money on a robust transit system than on the interstates. Improving the interstates will encourage sprawl and low density greenfield development.

We all want to see a solid robust transit system, it is definitely needed. But the interstates are also a much needed infrastructure that needs improvement. Transit systems are great for moving people around that live and work in downtown and the surrounding neighborhoods. But this whole Middle Tennessee region is a mega logistical hub, and tourist destination. You will always have commercial truck traffic and tourists driving in for their vacations. The interstate infrastructure is inadequate for the use it is now subjected too. As noted earlier in this thread, getting this type of traffic out of the central downtown area is probably the best solution. As PHofKS and others have suggested, building a “outside loop” would be the best avenue to pursue. Nashville is now getting some major players ( Oracle,Amazon, GM...etc) with substantial job growth. It’s time to get the infrastructure ( including interstates and transit) improved and installed to handle the tremendous growth.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rockatansky said:

I'd rather we spent the money on a robust transit system than on the interstates. Improving the interstates will encourage sprawl and low density greenfield development.

I agree, I lived in Phoenix for a few years before moving here and that's why that metro area is so massive and spreading in every direction.  They keep adding new freeway rings around the city and when they do the developers plan their projects based on where those roads are going to be.  I lived in the East Valley in Chandler and there was no transit anywhere near my house, not even a city bus.  It's interesting that a railroad track was near my neighborhood and those tracks went right through downtown Phoenix and off in another direction after that.  I never once saw a train going by in all the time I lived there but I'd hear them late at night.  It would have been perfect for a heavy rail commuter train like Seattle and a few other cities have but they did nothing.  We're nowhere near that big and sprawl hasn't extended to such an extreme but now is the time when we should be thinking about how our decisions today are shaping neighborhoods that haven't even been built yet and once that happens you can't fix your mistakes!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1