The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

When mudslides took out all major roads up and down the coast south of Santa Barbara in January 2018, the state paid whale watching ships to run passengers from Ventura harbor to Santa Barbara.  My nephew had to move his wedding venue and my family members who flew into SB, had to take the ferry down to Ventura and back up again because the airlines would not allow them to move their tickets to an L.A. airport.

• Like 2

Sure cant get that piss poor website to work for me.

18 minutes ago, PruneTracy said:

For those of you who are often wondering what TDOT is up to around the state, or what is going on near you, or when TDOT is finally going to etc., etc., they've released a new GIS tool called iTRIP that shows all projects in the TDOT pipeline.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/e14888bce2954050a10df5e949a1bc1d

Not user friendly, let me know if it works for you.

The map works, but there is a whole lot of useless information on there. I am sort of a just the facts mam kind of guy and I really don’t care who the state rep or senator in the district is.

The tables still do not work on my desk top. The older system worked a lot better..My old adage is, If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

17 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

To the guy who tweeted from Detroit:

matt @billikenhawk·May 26
"This is literally Detroit’s policy. More than half of downtown is parking, and highways are optimized to get suburban folks in and out of downtown as quickly as possible."

I don't know what planet he landed from, but even long before Detroit lost its big-city status and still offered a sizable streetcar network (until the mid 1950s), Detroit never was a urban district expected to be anything other than car-centric.

Besides the usual I-75/94/96 urban expressway network, the old arterials haven't changed which convey the multitudes into and out of the center city:

Woodward Ave, (M1)
Gratiot Ave. (M3)
Grand Ave (M5)
Michigan Ave. (US-12)

Since the 2013 city bankruptcy, Quicken Loans' Dan Guilbert has infused a half dozen or so $billion into realty and redevelopment of the city's central core, just to restore it into some state of viability, after decades of being a "lights-out" district.  So Detroit is NOT a good example for comparison IMO ─ not at this point, anyway.

IMG_7999-2.thumb.jpg.1c1f1d3d22f8298ca9b73ffffd0db47b.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rookzie said:

To the guy who tweeted from Detroit:

I don't know what planet he landed from, but even long before Detroit lost its big-city status and still offered a sizable streetcar network (until the mid 1950s), Detroit never was a urban district expected to be anything other than car-centric.

Besides the usual I-75/94/96 urban expressway network, the old arterials haven't changed which convey the multitudes into and out of the center city:

Woodward Ave, (M1)
Gratiot Ave. (M3)
Grand Ave (M5)
Michigan Ave. (US-12)

Since the 2013 city bankruptcy, Quicken Loans' Dan Guilbert has infused a half dozen or so $billion into realty and redevelopment of the city's central core, just to restore it into some state of viability, after decades of being a "lights-out" district.  So Detroit is NOT a good example for comparison IMO ─ not at this point, anyway.

IMG_7999-2.thumb.jpg.1c1f1d3d22f8298ca9b73ffffd0db47b.jpg

Detroit was Motor City after all

• Like 2

On 5/28/2021 at 2:28 PM, PaulChinetti said:

Nashville.

One thing that I notice in these too is the density that we lost as the years progressed. In the older images it seems like there are building everywhere!

Nashville1951.png

Nashville2014.png

I believe if you look closely you can see the NES and Cordell Hull bldgs under construction. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

On 5/28/2021 at 1:28 PM, PaulChinetti said:

One thing that I notice in these too is the density that we lost as the years progressed. In the older images it seems like there are building everywhere!

Yeah that's very noticeable.  I wonder if that's because so much of it was residential back in the old days before the suburbs had grown and today a lot of that property is a whole lot of parking lots as well as quite a bit of industrial areas as you move out from downtown where there used to be houses packed together.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MontanaGuy said:

Yeah that's very noticeable.  I wonder if that's because so much of it was residential back in the old days before the suburbs had grown and today a lot of that property is a whole lot of parking lots as well as quite a bit of industrial areas as you move out from downtown where there used to be houses packed together.

Probably a lot more mixed use, store/shop/etc on the ground floor, live up top. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AsianintheNations said:

Glad the blight of block-sized surface parking lots is slowly receding. Will be exciting to see how the other side of the river will develop, as it looks like there was never much going on there even in the 1951 photo.

Apparently we understood the flood plain and that the East Bank wasn't a good spot for intensive development. But nowadays ... YOLO! (Is YOLO still a thing?)

24 minutes ago, Nashvillain said:

Apparently we understood the flood plain and that the East Bank wasn't a good spot for intensive development. But nowadays ... YOLO! (Is YOLO still a thing?)

YOLO is still a thing, at least for WallStreetBets investors. (Made a little bit myself on AMC, but it's scary that some people seem to think meme day trading is a viable financial strategy ... but I digress)

I am sure Oracle and the others will put a lot of thought into flood/stormwater management given the absurd sums paid for very recently catastrophically flooded land. Admittedly, the early renderings of the Oracle campus don't show much effort to elevate the land above the river, but the major buildings are set farther from the river and a lot of currently impervious surfaces look to be replaced by vegetation. The current new residential construction flood management guidelines are pretty extensive, so I hope and am pretty sure there will be attention to this for such huge projects on the East Bank.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Sean blackdog said:

Today this morning from Facebook Sky5. 
Briley Parkway at I-40
Is that guitar shaped...or just me?

6 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Pretty cool.

Also, wowza, big intersections like that are so much wasted space.

TDOT relocated two of the ramps (Briley SB to I-40 EB and I-40 WB to Briley SB) in design as a stack interchange violated FAA height restrictions and the original design took the ramps in tunnels under the Interstate. It was featured for a long time on TDOT's website as an example of value engineering (possibly because for a long time it was TDOT's only example of value engineering).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2