The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

There’s been a lot of discussion about capping interstates 40/65 where they pass Church St/Broadway/ Demonbruen/ 12th Ave to make a park. 

Has there been any talk about double decking the interstate there to double the interstate capacity in such a congested spot? The lower level could be a bypass of sorts while the upper level could handle business traffic intersecting with those crossing streets, perhaps even exiting directly into the Reed District and the Beaman site on one side and Nashville Yards on the other? 

Probably a simple thought that would be much harder to implement? 

Edited by PleinNash
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, PleinNash said:

There’s been a lot of discussion about capping interstates 40/65 where they pass Church St/Broadway/ Demonbruen/ 12th Ave to make a park. 

Has there been any talk about double decking the interstate there to double the interstate capacity in such a congested spot? The lower level could be a bypass of sorts while the upper level could handle business traffic intersecting with those crossing streets. 

Probably a simple thought that would be much harder to implement? 

Sounds like a interesting idea. I’ve been wondering how if they capped that area , would all those exits work. They are basically one right after another, doesn’t leave much area for green space to connect .   Maybe a combination of your idea and capping would work. Lower level express lanes with no exits then a second level with exits for local traffic all capped! Sort of a double layer tunnel.

11 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

Sounds like a interesting idea. I’ve been wondering how if they capped that area , would all those exits work. They are basically one right after another, doesn’t leave much area for green space to connect .   Maybe a combination of your idea and capping would work. Lower level express lanes with no exits then a second level with exits for local traffic all capped! Sort of a double layer tunnel.

For years, Pennsylvania, the city of Philadelphia, and the DOT have tossed around ideas of double-decking I-76 between downtown Philly and I-476 along the Schuylkill River (the section known as the Scuylkill Expressway). It's one of the oldest sections of freeway in the US, being designed in the late '40s and built in the early '50s...and a lot of it hasn't changed much since then, mainly because of geographical constraints that prevent widening (cliffs leading to the river on one side, busy freight railways on the other). The only viable option to widen it is to make it double-decked, but that isn't palatable because of the immense cost as well as the impracticality of shutting down the main freeway leading out of Philadelphia to the west for the multi-year project to be completed. Sections of the road are quasi-double-decked, with the highway running below surface streets along the riverfront near 30th Street Station, but they were built as such. 

Unfortunately, I doubt that double-decking will happen in Nashville, for basically the same reasons. The only realistic scenario I can think of is a truck restriction on routes through downtown, forcing through truck traffic to 440 and Briley Parkway, with major re-building of the western 440/40 interchange and the nightmare that is the 440/40/24 interchange. Another alternate that would encourage traffic away from downtown would be a toll for through traffic...though Tennesseans' utter disgust at the idea of paying tolls will probably prevent that from ever happening!

1 hour ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

Interesting article by The Atlantic today on how blame for dangerous conditions on roadways has been unfairly placed almost entirely on drivers. The article argues that car manufacturers have deflected any blame for danger from the "bigger, taller" SUV and pickup arms race, while poor road designs that all but guarantee dangerous conditions continue to plague urban and rural areas alike. I do wish that there was more discussion of the poor state of driver training in the US, the mishmash of rules, and ineffective enforcement that is hobbled by pro-driving lobbies keeping effective tools from being utilized, but overall a very interesting read.

I'm obviously biased, but I'm not sure I buy the premise of the article. I used to spend a lot of time reviewing crash reports for TDOT road safety audits (the existence of which may be a point against it in the first place) and the majority of crashes of all severities happen in daytime during dry, sunny conditions. This isn't to say that the ones that occur at night and/or during adverse conditions don't count (they are often triggers for the aforementioned road safety audits) but if you want to do a sniff test on the 94% driver error rate a good place to start is that about 65% to 70% of crashes occur in good lighting with no adverse weather conditions.

And I'd say the 94% figure is on the low side. Far and away the two largest causes of crashes at least on Tennessee roadways that are HSIP-eligible are:

1. Drivers with their nose in their phone. This shows up even through the traffic cop filter in the crash report narrative. You did not get a leg cramp, your brakes did not suddenly fail, you did not see a UFO. You were looking at your phone and you don't want to tell the police officer that.
  2. Ambiguity in driving behavior especially on busy multilane roads, such as:
    1. Leaving a gap in traffic queued at a signal for drivers to turn left into a corner gas station or similar. DO NOT wave at these people to go.  They will immediately make the turn without looking for other cars then get T-boned by the guy in the right turn lane who did not stop and blame you because you waved at them to go.
    2. Pulling into a two-way left-turn lane from a side road or driveway to merge into traffic. This is legal but requires a level of attentiveness apparently beyond the average driver.
    3. Cruising down the two-way left-turn lane for eight miles to skip the queued vehicles. This is not legal so not sure it should count here but is definitely driver error.

These two reasons are probably 90% on their own and most of the rest (including many severe crashes) are excessive speed and/or drunk driving. Also following too closely but I would grant that could be considered a driver education and/or enforcement issue.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PruneTracy said:

I'm obviously biased, but I'm not sure I buy the premise of the article. I used to spend a lot of time reviewing crash reports for TDOT road safety audits (the existence of which may be a point against it in the first place) and the majority of crashes of all severities happen in daytime during dry, sunny conditions. This isn't to say that the ones that occur at night and/or during adverse conditions don't count (they are often triggers for the aforementioned road safety audits) but if you want to do a sniff test on the 94% driver error rate a good place to start is that about 65% to 70% of crashes occur in good lighting with no adverse weather conditions.

And I'd say the 94% figure is on the low side. Far and away the two largest causes of crashes at least on Tennessee roadways that are HSIP-eligible are:

1. Drivers with their nose in their phone. This shows up even through the traffic cop filter in the crash report narrative. You did not get a leg cramp, your brakes did not suddenly fail, you did not see a UFO. You were looking at your phone and you don't want to tell the police officer that.
    1. Leaving a gap in traffic queued at a signal for drivers to turn left into a corner gas station or similar. DO NOT wave at these people to go.  They will immediately make the turn without looking for other cars then get T-boned by the guy in the right turn lane who did not stop and blame you because you waved at them to go.
    2. Pulling into a two-way left-turn lane from a side road or driveway to merge into traffic. This is legal but requires a level of attentiveness apparently beyond the average driver.
    3. Cruising down the two-way left-turn lane for eight miles to skip the queued vehicles. This is not legal so not sure it should count here but is definitely driver error.

These two reasons are probably 90% on their own and most of the rest (including many severe crashes) are excessive speed and/or drunk driving. Also following too closely but I would grant that could be considered a driver education and/or enforcement issue.

Those are all good points, and I am not really sure where I place the blame, though I think there's enough to spread around! I *do* think that the way we have designed our road system has not helped, though. For so long in the minds of many, safer roads meant roads with the removal of any obstacle to higher speeds, but without the requisite restrictions and training that create good driving habits. We're seeing a reverse on that now, with road diets and traffic calming measures being put into place, but the average driver was raised on the idea that the car is in charge and anything else is a guest on the pavement, an idea that was encouraged by the development of the US road network over the last 80 years. 

When I was living in England, I was struck by how the fatalities-per-miles-driven was so much lower than it is in the US. I forget the exact numbers offhand, but it is rather startling, especially when you realize that speed limits are higher, populations are denser, and roads are "worse."  The road I would commute to work on was mostly a 60mph speed limit, but was narrow, very curvy, and with lots of blind corners... no one would go the speed limit except through the occasional straightaway, because it was madness to do so. When you went into a village, there were almost always narrowed lanes, severely restricted speed limits (20-30 in most cases) sometimes with chicanes or speed bumps, and speed displays that would tell you how fast you were going. Not to mention cars are overall smaller...my old Subaru Forester was a giant compared to many other vehicles on the road.

The fact that the driving age is 18, rigorous driver training is a requirement, and it's quite easy to lose the privilege, and roads that by and large force you to pay attention, combine to make everything safer.

Also, I'm all about leaving speeding and red-light enforcement up to cameras, freeing highway police to do more enforcement of things like illegal turns, tailgating, lane hogging, and distracted driving!

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, PruneTracy said:

I think the foggy conditions scenario outlined in the article was unnecessary. The part about the driver not slowing down because the shape of the road remained the same but the speed limit dropped is the key point. Drivers will drive as fast as they feel comfortable based on the width of the lane and perception about potential obstacles regardless of the posted speed limit.  I commute everyday down Clarksville pike across the bridge over the Cumberland River. The posted speed limit is 40, but it's a 6-lane road with wide lanes. Nobody drives 40. Same with the 40 mph limit through Metro Center. I'm sure most of you can come up with similar examples in your own neck of the woods.

The easiest way to get drivers to slow down and pay more attention is to narrow the roadway and add more potential points of conflict, i.e. pedestrians and other modes of transportation that have equal access to the environment. This may seem counter intuitive but most drivers don't want to kill or injure anyone and will slow down and pay attention when they realize that they aren't the sole users of the roadway.

• Like 4

I totally agree we would eventually use a mass transit system that includes above/below ground rail. I just wonder how, given where we are now, do we get there. We would have to be in partnership with our surrounding counties. We would have to have state government supporting our efforts. I'll admit ignorance as to what decision makers are actively working on any wide ranging plan. Which statewide elected officials are working toward this effort? All the ideas presented are great, but who do we look toward to spearhead this vision? Our current mayor? Who is saying they will run for mayor and supports building a rail system asap? I'm not comfortable being anti-car, anti-driving, anti-road widening, until I see a mass transit plan done and under construction.

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Nashvillain said:

I think the foggy conditions scenario outlined in the article was unnecessary. The part about the driver not slowing down because the shape of the road remained the same but the speed limit dropped is the key point. Drivers will drive as fast as they feel comfortable based on the width of the lane and perception about potential obstacles regardless of the posted speed limit.  I commute everyday down Clarksville pike across the bridge over the Cumberland River. The posted speed limit is 40, but it's a 6-lane road with wide lanes. Nobody drives 40. Same with the 40 mph limit through Metro Center. I'm sure most of you can come up with similar examples in your own neck of the woods.

The easiest way to get drivers to slow down and pay more attention is to narrow the roadway and add more potential points of conflict, i.e. pedestrians and other modes of transportation that have equal access to the environment. This may seem counter intuitive but most drivers don't want to kill or injure anyone and will slow down and pay attention when they realize that they aren't the sole users of the roadway.

In London, in some of the busier pedestrian neighborhoods, they have started doing some traffic integration measures instead of just traffic calming. I believe it's in Kensington where they have completely removed curbs and only placed minimal street markings on a few roads...and vehicle/pedestrian incidents have gone down drastically. Drivers are forced to pay attention to what's around them, because there are pedestrians and cyclists sharing the street. And likewise, pedestrians are forced to pay attention to what's happening around them as well. People tend to walk where sidewalks once were, and cars stick to the marked driving area, but the separation isn't a hard curb (kerb, I guess in this situation), rather it's planters, bike racks, street lights, and other interspersed physical barriers. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

In London, in some of the busier pedestrian neighborhoods, they have started doing some traffic integration measures instead of just traffic calming. I believe it's in Kensington where they have completely removed curbs and only placed minimal street markings on a few roads...and vehicle/pedestrian incidents have gone down drastically. Drivers are forced to pay attention to what's around them, because there are pedestrians and cyclists sharing the street. And likewise, pedestrians are forced to pay attention to what's happening around them as well. People tend to walk where sidewalks once were, and cars stick to the marked driving area, but the separation isn't a hard curb (kerb, I guess in this situation), rather it's planters, bike racks, street lights, and other interspersed physical barriers. 

Reminds me of the old videos you see of all the pedestrians and horse drawn carriages intermingling and everyone is getting along and pay attention.

Here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO_1AdYRGW8

Edited by PaulChinetti
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Reminds me of the old videos you see of all the pedestrians and horse drawn carriages intermingling and everyone is getting along and pay attention.

Here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO_1AdYRGW8

One of the many nefarious acts of auto makers in the 20th century was the wholesale creation of the idea of jaywalking in order to make roads primarily for car usage, thereby enabling the sale of more cars. https://www.vox.com/2015/1/15/7551873/jaywalking-history

• Like 3

On 12/5/2021 at 7:02 PM, chris holman said:

Interesting video on transit in America  cities.

"Why American public transit is so bad is the title."

That was an excellent and informative video.  It lays out the problems very clearly.  At one time in our history it probably made sense to funnel all of the transit to a central downtown core because that's where the majority of workers commuted to everyday but businesses often can't afford the high costs of downtown offices just like their workers who can't afford to live there so the cheaper costs of office parks in suburbs became more prevalent.  I realize it's a logistical nightmare to create an efficient mass transit system but we should definitely be looking at cities in other countries where they're doing a good job of it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We kinda/sorta already have it between Demonbreun and Charlotte, but please for all that is holy, please don't make it bigger! Also the notion of extending it from essentially Jefferson to Hermitage should be considered treason

2016-Collector-Distributor-Roads-PRC-Strategy.png

I feel like one of the best ways to make this more efficient would be to vastly cut down on the access points to the highway. Doing this would almost this stretch of highway for the cap that we have all been dreaming of in the area. I'm just gonna quote the cap remarks below, but to me actually reducing the amount of access points would make this area of the city MUCH more efficient, even if it meant widening the ramps at the north and south ends

On 7/9/2021 at 5:45 PM, Bos2Nash said:

This is great forethought on planning's part. In some respect it means at least the Planning Department is think a cap could be a realistic solution to stitch the city together. To me, for a pedestrianized George L. Davis (also had no idea that was the name of this stretch) to be successful along with a highway cap, TDOT will need to be willing to give up most of the ramps in this area. There has been countless idea and studies thrown around about capping the interstates – most notably to me from the Civic Design Center #1 and #2 – but one of the greatest successes of Boston's Big Dig is the improvement of Atlantic Ave and Purchase St that straddle the Rose Kennedy Greenway and one of the reasons it is so successful is because of the lack of interruption from vehicles. Giving up 8 (EIGHT!!) on/off ramps within this area, and keeping the surface roads at two or three lanes (three lanes at most even with turn lanes) could really spur a successful area. 

image.thumb.png.5bd18868344e132e255a22e8e9883b4f.png

• Like 1