The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

6 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

Way to go WeGo. Only 15 years after the same technology was introduced for the MBTA (Boston) and almost 20 years after the MetroCard (NYC, which is being replaced now).

Can't believe the CharlieCard is 15 years old! That said, I wouldn't put the MetroCard in the same category - that was (is?) still a flimsy magnetic strip piece of paper more akin to the Charlie Ticket. Also, I believe smartphone support is only being rolled out in Boston and New York this year and next, so at least we're getting all the upgrades at once. Being able to refill online instead of at a station/on the vehicle itself is a lot more convenient.

Edited by AsianintheNations
  • Like 1

Crazy right? I only vaguely remember the token system, but man is Charlie convenient lol. I dont know much about the MetroCard system, but found it is being replaced with a rollout of OMNY now (should be complete in 2023), but the technology fare improvement has been around for more than a decade. I'm glad WeGo is making it a convenient system, hopefully it makes a striking improvement for those that have to use the system. 

• Like 1

The only nice thing I remember about the tokens was that they were still valid even after rate hikes, compared to the fixed value of card/account storage systems. Otherwise, it was such a pain getting luggage etc. through old-fashioned turnstiles.

Hopefully the new WeGo system will reduce the barrier to entry to using transit. The addition of the auto-upgrade to weekly/monthly pass pricing is awesome (from the consumer perspective). I'm fortunate to already have had my Vandy ID work as a bus pass, which they really need to advertise better .. unfortunately the low rate of use (or even awareness) when it is literally free dampens my hopes that barrier to entry is the main issue, though.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, MagicPotato said:

I really wish Nashville brought back the street cars. It'll give Nashville a little flair when it comes to tourism. It'll be nice to have one from Broadway up towards Midtown.  

That’s the kind of thinking that’s needed here! We don’t necessarily need subways or heavy rail in the core. But innovative means of moving people around, be it street cars, gondola’s ..etc. use light rail/ monorail to connect outlining communities (AIRPORT) and counties . Transit comes in many forms, just find a way to efficiently move people around.

Transportainment tractors ..etc , need not apply!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

A new partnership between scooter company Bird + WeGo Transit will allow bus riders to utilize e-scooters to travel from the bus stop to their final destination. The micro-transit initiative aims to close transit gaps and provide a more eco-friendly alternative for travel in the metro area.

More here:

https://www.bird.co/blog/new-bird-partnership-wego-micro-transit-first-nashville/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2022.02.03 NASH&utm_term=NASHtoday Subscribers - MASTER

While it is admirable that they are partnering up here, I do doubt the efficency of the partnership. Here are my questions. Is it a free "last mile" scoot? The article does not explain how that would work with integration into the Metro pass. Additionally, I would be very curious about the data from who uses the scooters from the bus. Is it truly the bus riders utilizing the scooters or is it people using the bus station as a pickup point for the scooters? Lastly, it seems like it is only a partnership for the evening commute, because it is not like the scooters are going to be at each person's house to ride over to the bus station.

• Like 4

On 2/1/2022 at 9:53 AM, MagicPotato said:

I really wish Nashville brought back the street cars. It'll give Nashville a little flair when it comes to tourism. It'll be nice to have one from Broadway up towards Midtown.  

as a tourist yearly I would agree.  Streetcars that operate in traffic do not move fast at all as we have seen here in Charlotte.  But for Nashville it connect your west end hotels with downtown etc. 

• Like 4

I agree, if Nashville just had a street car or some form of light transit in the urban parts of Nashville that'll be good enough. At least for awhile. It'll be nice to connect the suburbs, but currently I don't think it's worth it. Well that's in regards to cost and politics.

Edited by MagicPotato
  • Like 4

I feel like we should have a bold plan for the entire network, but a vote for just the first line. Mainly so the anti transit anything folks can’t throw the BILLION number at people, and also so the pro transit team’s pitch can be, “you are voting for this line as part of this network, but the network can change should technological advances change, neighborhoods change, etc.”

the East Nashville line will be highly used, and lead to the next line. 

on a different note, since Lee didn’t mention the Atlanta to Nashville Amtrak in his budget, should we assume it’s not happening even though it was included in Biden’s approved infrastructure bill? 

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, nashvylle said:

on a different note, since Lee didn’t mention the Atlanta to Nashville Amtrak in his budget, should we assume it’s not happening even though it was included in Biden’s approved infrastructure bill? 

Although Amtrak receives state subsidies, I don't believe any federal funding for Amtrak service expansion would would pass through the state.

Edited by tragenvol
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, markhollin said:

The governor's proposed budget for this year includes $40 million to extend Cleveland Street to the River North site of the incoming Oracle corporate campus.

Metro Councilman Sean Parker tells Axios "it's great to see funding for multimodal infrastructure" in the budget. Parker says he hopes the state and Metro can partner to make the Dickerson corridor "a safe and accessible destination for all roadway users."

The road extension funding is part of last year's $175 million economic incentive package from the state that helped bring Oracle to Nashville.

The extension will be an underpass below the I-24 inner belt.  There will be green space/par area on both ends on either side of the freeway.

More at Axios here:

https://www.axios.com/local/nashville/2022/02/07/proposed-budget-funds-cleveland-st-extension

Cleveland St extension, Feb 8, 2022, diagram.png

I read this article over on the Oracle thread and looked at it again here and I find it hilarious that they are showing the Grace Street pedestrian underpass while the article is talking about the Cleveland underpass (which will be north of the graphic shown). Cleveland underpass is the blue line below (and referenced in the article) and the Grace Street pedestrian underpass is the red line (also the graphic above).

image.thumb.png.091c5a13535ff101a9883054f544eec0.png

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...