The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

15 minutes ago, Archibum said:

Plus there's the whole chicken and egg back and forth about bike lanes. "Why build bike lanes if nobody ever bikes?" "Well nobody ever bikes because we don't have any bike lanes." It's frustrating to see road construction and widening justified with a future capacity, like we need to build this road because more people will be driving here, but it seems like bike lanes are more often passed by because "no one is biking" instead of proactively building infrastructure because "people will be biking a lot here in the future"

Anything non-car oriented has to justified with demand prior to building (bikes, pedestrians, mass transit). Cars are the only form of transportation that gets it's infrastructure built in advance, ala induced demand.

Because cars represent "freedom" and the ability to go anywhere and everywhere with the turn of a key, while other modes do not.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

After a Ford- and Argo AI-branded vehicle was spotted making laps around The Gulch on Thursday, an Argo spokesperson confirmed the self-driving tech company is testing two cars in Nashville this week.  

The spokesperson added that the vehicles, advertised as “self-driving test vehicles,” are being manually driven by Argo operators for so-called mapping missions and would not be tested in Nashville for longer than a few weeks.

Last summer, Argo AI, Lyft and Ford Motor Company announced they were working together to commercialize autonomous rides service and ultimately roll out a fleet of at least 1,000 vehicles on the Lyft network internationally.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/technology/ford-self-driving-partner-argo-testing-vehicles-in-nashville/article_df4f4ed2-9b2b-11ec-b854-878c3b2d8343.html

• Like 3

Gov. Lee took a recent trip to Dallas to see how they have handled growth in that sprawling metro of 7.6 million people. 

"It's an enormous rapid-growth community. It has exploded over the past several years," Lee said of Dallas. The flight, he said, was with real estate developers and civic leaders, "just to look at what Nashville might look like going forward … if we do it right."

His takeaway? "It's well-thought-out and well-planned. There are interstate systems that are obviously being planned and being laid out in advance of significant growth. If you look at it from the air, you can see the growth moving itself out away from the city. It really was informative about how we should look at … the highway system in the state, when we have significant growth coming, and we see the tower cranes in this city. It was important for me to see what we should be thinking about and talk to some of the leaders there who have already gone down that path."

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/03/11/lee-dallas-helicopter.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_34&cx_artPos=2#cxrecs_s

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

11 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

To be fair, Dallas has by far the most extensive light rail network not only in Texas,  but probably the most outside of NYC, Boston, Chicago, San Fran, Seattle. 

https://www.dart.org/maps/printrailmap.asp

It is troubling that Lee did not mention light rail, however. 

Intersting, never having visited Dallas didn't know that. 

How long has it taken Dallas to get to this point I wonder?

Agreed!!!! People forget that Dallas is the quintessential "Postwar American" city... it could have been completely freeways (look at Phoenix and San Jose and a few others), but despite itself it has managed to turn its downtown's decline around. Granted a lot of it is with its new "appendage" uptown, but still, the city deserves credit for reuse of its midcentury buildings and its relatively compact suburban sprawl.  And folks here have already mentioned its mass transit, which it really didn't have any incentive to build.  It is one of the easiest large cities to get around that I know of. I think the knocks against Dallas are unfair.  I mean.. take a look at my hometown.  As my college roommate said 30 years ago... "Don't conflate Plano with Dallas!"  I guess that can now be said about Frisco, Grapevine, Denton, Allen, et.al.   But even then, look at the density of Collin, Denton, and Travis counties versus Williamson and Cobb/Fulton etc. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.tn.gov/tdot/projects/region-3/i-24-smart-corridor.html

I’m still skeptical about this smart corridor business. So what if both “corridors” are blocked?  Are we suddenly sent to traffic purgatory? Also, have they seen State Route 1/Murfreesboro road ?  State Route 1/Murfreesboro road is definitely not adequate enough to handle massive automotive  “interstate transfers”.  

And another thing State Route 1/Murfreesboro road doesn’t universally connect well with other parts of the Nashville metro, it’s mainly Rutherford Co , parts of Davidson Co, and to an extent Wilson co. The roads connecting I24 and  State Route 1/Murfreesboro road are awkwardly built. I can only imagine the transfers from one to another would be a nightmare.

Honestly I think this “smart corridor” bologna is just a catch phrase to give  us an excuse to not upgrade the infrastructure. That’s cool that you widen 440 a little and rework the hickory hollow intersection, guess what? That'll help for maybe a couple years to a decade? The inner and outer loops needs an entire rework.

Instead of adding duck tape, TDOT needs to actually do something worth while like adding mass transit, add more highways, or complete the 840 bypass.

Edited by MagicPotato
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MagicPotato said:

Instead of adding duck tape, TDOT needs to actually do something worth while like adding mass transit, add more highways, or complete the 840 bypass.

Yes, all of the above. But IMHO completing the I-840 loop is by far the most important and worthwhile thing that should be done, and asap. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

Yes, all of the above. But IMHO completing the I-840 loop is by far the most important and worthwhile thing that should be done, and asap. 

I agree, too bad it won't happen anytime soon. If 840N was completed, it'll provide access to people in Clarksville to travel conveniently to Franklin without going through Nashville. Which could potentially bring cohesion between the Clarksville metro and the Nashville metro. Also, truckers can have a full bypass in all directions. 840 is nice for truckers travelling from East to West and vise versa, but not from North to South. They have to bypass Nashville when coming from N to S. 

• Like 3

Speaking of the perfect spot to cross the lake, brings up a question. Does TDOT have a route picked out to connect 840 at 40 up though Lebanon if they ever decide to do so? Reason I’m asking , is there’s a lot of established residential  neighborhoods that seem to be in the path , no matter what angle they take. And there’s a whole slew of new development projects in that general area. What kinda ROW does TDOT have ? And how many homes and businesses would be displaced?

• Like 2