The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

An elevated train from the airport right down the middle of the interstate or down Murfreesboro pike to Music City Center would be amazing. But that would involve the state I think and their idea of better transportation is more interstate lanes. 

Think we could convince them to add a set of dedicated HOV lanes with an elevated airport express train above?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

An elevated train from the airport right down the middle of the interstate or down Murfreesboro pike to Music City Center would be amazing. But that would involve the state I think and their idea of better transportation is more interstate lanes. 

I also think that's a great idea.  I wonder if it would be possible to do a study of cities who've done that including how much it reduced traffic and slowed down the need for additional lanes.  A realistic projection of how it could help might be persuasive.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nashvillain said:

^ Yes, please. Can we have this everywhere?

I agree! I just hope they can maintain the landscaping planted in these areas. Metro has done a horrible job of planting nice medians and letting them become overgrown trash pits. The 28th Ave connector near One City and the Stix roundabout are a couple that come to mind. 

Is it public works that's responsible for the upkeep? 

Edited by nashmoney
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, nashmoney said:

I agree! I just hope they can maintain the landscaping planted in these areas. Metro has done a horrible job of planting nice medians and letting them become overgrown trash pits. The 28th Ave connector near One City and the Stix roundabout are a couple that come to mind. 

Is it public works that's responsible for the upkeep? 

They could fill them with rocks for all I care! I just want the reduced, narrowed vehicle lanes, protected bike paths and sidewalks. But pretty landscaping would be nice, too 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, bnacincy said:

Terrific idea! I have long wanted this stretch of 12th Ave to go on a "road diet". I don't think there will much of an effect with regards to traffic because frankly, I've hardly ever seen any "traffic" on this part of  12th.

The initial design suggested protected bike lanes from Lawrence on the north side of the “12 South” district all the way up to Hawkins just south of the downtown interstate loop. https://www.nashville.gov/departments/transportation/projects/bikeways/12th-avenue-south

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

It is sort of hard to take in as 12 South is such a narrow street; it is hard to see how it will be done. One thing is for sure, it will slow traffic down.

12 South is 4 lanes wide from the south end of The Gulch to Lawrence Ave. (which is the stretch that will be changed in this set-up). 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nash_12South said:

It makes riding a bike safer, in that stretch, but not once you reach the Gulch or get into the heart of 12South. 

The Gulch and 12South ends are already not too bad on a bike because the narrower road and high pedestrian traffic slows car traffic a great deal.

Thing is with NDOT proposals, the renderings show a couple scenes with just a few cars, mostly parked in the pull-offs, but most renderings show a couple of city buses as the primary motored movement along those stretches.  That simply is misleading, unless Metro finds ways to impose restrictions on what cars can occupy those spaces.

I say this because at first glance, the renderings make those stretches appear more as Transit-Oriented Districts, which they definitely never were even close to being.  And just as Nash_12South said, as someone whom I've associated for quite a while with the 12 South district, it's darn near gridlock both directions during the afternoon commutes.  Ever since 11th Ave. was changed from a ramp-termination at Broadway into an industrial throughway during the early 1970s,  somehow it has remained a primary north-south core corridor, despite the progressively constrictions conferred by redev of those two districts.  It became even worse, when 17th Ave in Midtown got "indefinitely" (over an extended period) severed into a detour, ensnaring traffic along 18th and 19th avenues, during "filling in" of "Lake Palmer".  It even becomes more murderous, if a semi or a box van low-bridges the RR underpass at 8th and Gleaves, as it then forces yet another detour during those critical times.

The renderings look splendid, but the initiative does nothing but exacerbate another issue ─ that's all I'm saying.  As it is at this point in time, 12South is about to become transformed into a "Green Hills North", as far as spill-over through residential streets is concerned.  There's nowhere else to divert around or through the Gulch, so drivers are pretty much glued to stagnancy in that district.   I even dislike riding the city bus through those areas, since they become stuck in the same quagmires that they help create.

I only can imagine the squeeze, if they do this between Lawrence and Division.  It’ll be like ingesting pure lard intravenously — setting the stage for a “car stroke”.   What we don’t need is an “extended remix” version of Deaderick Street as a crosstown with a bus route.

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 4

I used to drive 12 Ave. at rush hour from the Gulch to Granny White Pk or Belmont Blvd. to get to Lipscomb U. I seem to remember traffic clearing up quite a bit once past Wedgewood Ave--maybe I'm misremembering. IMO, 12th Ave. from the Gulch to the commercial district is an ideal stretch for this kind of road diet. But this design isn't ideal as a transit route as has been stated above. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nashvillain said:

I used to drive 12 Ave. at rush hour from the Gulch to Granny White Pk or Belmont Blvd. to get to Lipscomb U. I seem to remember traffic clearing up quite a bit once past Wedgewood Ave--maybe I'm misremembering. IMO, 12th Ave. from the Gulch to the commercial district is an ideal stretch for this kind of road diet. But this design isn't ideal as a transit route as has been stated above. 

No doubt my soapbox chatter had to sound like a disapproval of a 12th Ave S. “road diet” scheme as rendered.  I guess the fake buses just “baited” me (doesn’t take much, as you already “learnt” about me, year before last).  They (the fake buses) triggered my disgust at the city’s tepid efforts spearhead an ambitious plan of transportation, such as what Austin finally has begun to do.  I don’t disapprove of it, however, as I did of the plan that emerged around 2018 for 8th Ave. / Franklin Rd., which is a primary US and state highway.

I perhaps overreacted because the renderings just seem unrealistic and misleading, and, with that said, replacing the lone action of buses with a flow of cars — both contemporary and raggedy (:)) would have made it less like smoke and mirrors, even though it’s just a concept.    I haven’t examined the full intentions and long-term benefits of the proposal, nor have I engaged in dialog with any official proponents of the concept.

But in general I have concluded that these massive  proposals have yet to become answered with collateral infrastructure measures needed to adequately support the induced demand that likely will ensue.   12th Ave South is one of the very few remaining thoroughfares, leading to and from the central core, that have “taken off” in urban transformation, as developers continue to drive speculative expansion of these last frontiers.

But it disgusts me that the city has continued to cower — administration after administration — in forging the needed support and sometimes even political “machinations” for pushing through a comprehensive plan of urban transport — just as some other cities have managed to accomplish by referendum.   I have nothing against the proposal itself.   As Smeags had said in the past, everything around here gets done only in piecemeal fashion.

• Like 1