The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

2 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

That's a good point.

Maybe starting with the WeGo Star and actually making it's stations nice places to be, ie work/live would be a good start. 

Upzone everything around the suburban stations in a half mile radius. And let that take off. 

• Donelson
  • Hermitage
  • Mount Juliet
  • Martha
  • Hamilton Springs
  • Lebanon

I totally agree, the potential to make this line into something grandeur and more inviting is there. Allow zoning as you said, so work/live development can take place within walking/biking distance. If that can take place and ridership go up, then there is hope that they would do the necessary repairs and improvements to the tracks to upgrade the trains .

3 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

That's a good point.

Maybe starting with the WeGo Star and actually making it's stations nice places to be, ie work/live would be a good start. 

Upzone everything around the suburban stations in a half mile radius. And let that take off. 

• Donelson
  • Hermitage
  • Mount Juliet
  • Martha
  • Hamilton Springs
  • Lebanon

I know that there are residential, retail, and restaurant developments completed or in the works near the Donelson and Mount Juliet stations. Seems I recall a large subdivision was announced for Hamilton Springs. The projects near the Star line stations have been slow to come, but they appear to be building some momentum. (The new Edley’s BBQ is adjacent to the Donelson station.)

• Like 1

Yes there’s something brewing for large development at Hamilton Springs. They just recently made it  a SP and approved a new subdivision. There’s two larger properties near the Martha Station for sale that would be great for transit oriented development, that just leaves the area around the Lebanon Station . But that’s in more of an older neighborhood and might be a sore subject to some.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

He talks about the Netherlands a lot ya, BUT. He also shows wonderful (meaning terrible) examples of how poorly our urban environment is built.  And not just poorly built but openly hostile to anyone not in a car. 

Every time I walk or drive around Nashville now. I notice sidewalks to nowhere and all the other numerous things he points out. 

Yeah, he makes reference to his hometown of fake London, Canada. He's done vids on how terrible Houston is, etc. He actually moved him and his family to the Netherlands based on how safe and comfortable it is (the whole quality of life thing). 

But it's a great resource for people to learn about infrastructure in general

• Like 3

On 7/22/2022 at 5:24 PM, BnaBreaker said:

Respectfully, while I do agree with you that optics are going to be important when it comes to trying to sell the idea of mass transit to a city not yet altogether comfortable with the idea of mass transit, I have to disagree with you that a line connecting downtown to the airport would be a bad first move in that regard.  If we're talking an express line, then yes, I agree with you wholeheartedly.  But I don't think even Nashville's transportation department is dumb enough to make an express line with zero stops it's opening salvo in it's rail transit journey.  Presumably, there would be stops along the way, where people do live.  And let's not forget that these days a lot of people do actually live downtown, or within easy access to it, and locals use the airport too, obviously, so I think the argument that it wouldn't benefit locals falls a bit short.  A rail system can't have a stop at everyone's front door, and we have to start somewhere, so why not start by connecting the city's hub of activity with the city's hub of air transportation?  If tourists benefit from that too, then great.  So circling back to optics, I think that line has the potential to be heavily used right off the bat, which would be great for local optics.  In my opinion nothing would dampen the local appetite for building out a full rail system more than seeing trains on the first line empty travelling down Nolensville Road to nowhere inparticular.  Also, with an east-west line  it's not like it would have to end downtown.  We could extend it beyond downtown to go down West End Ave. or Charlotte Ave. and then connect subsequent lines to it in a central location where people could transfer.  

I agree with all your points and would add that downtown makes perfect sense as that is where all the major bus routes terminate. As a local who makes fairly frequent trips to the airport, I would be quite happy to have an option where say I take the bus downtown from West End where I work, then transfer to a train to the airport, rather than having to drive and leave my car in an expensive lot or get a ride (all of which are subject to highway traffic).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Nashvillain said:

I'll just put this here and see if anyone takes the bait. I've gotten a lot of push back from people suggesting we can never get rid of cars, or it won't happen in our lifetimes, etc., plus suggestions that I take myself to Europe or wherever, but it's important to understand that safe infrastructure is a choice that even we here in America can make. This channel focuses on The Netherlands, but the current infrastructure that allows for such easy and safe multi-modal use is a relatively recent phenomenon which came about after intense public pressure to make roads and streets safer. Hopefully, we're reaching a critical mass here where our leaders will finally have the courage to implement changes to eliminate roadway deaths and injuries for us as well. 

I love Not Just Bikes/Strong Towns! Not that we have to or should become the Netherlands or anything, but a little road safety wouldn't hurt. On the topic of that video you linked, I became quite interested in (and enraged about) "Stroads" after getting into a stupid accident on White Bridge Pike that would have never happened if not for its Stroad features. Another Youtube channel I like, Road Guy Rob, called this exact accident archetype a "Good Samaritan trap," which arises from a common stroad feature. Specifically, a driveway accessible to both directions of traffic that is WAY too close to a giant stroad-stroad intersection, where someone has an option to make an unprotected left across in this case 4 lanes of backed-up traffic. The stopped cars kindly leave a gap for this car to squeeze through - only to realize too late that there is one final lane that is actually a free-flowing right-turn lane. (In this case, I was the one driving in the right turn lane, and from my perspective the turning car popped out of nowhere perpendicular to the queued cars. By convention, the turning car of course should have yielded to me, but it's the attempt to make White Bridge both a highway-like connector and a low-density commercial/residential street with tons of driveways that is the real culprit.)

But once you've built everything into a network of giant stroads with commercial nodes at their behemoth intersections and then low-density housing in between, like much of Nashville has, there's only so much that can be done without completely overhauling everything. In the case of my accident, forcing the small commercial sites on White Bridge to consolidate into a (signalized) common point of entry and have connected parking lots or otherwise access from the smaller streets behind them (e.g. Orlando and Oceola) would help a lot - like how West End Ave between Blakemore and Murphy is a lot safer than it would otherwise thanks to the service road on one side. As it stands, every little shop has two points of entry from the road, and I don't see that changing. And there are numerous single-family home driveways that open onto this high-speed arterial connector, and now that those homes are there, there's not much that can be done to fix that.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AsianintheNations said:

I love Not Just Bikes/Strong Towns! Not that we have to or should become the Netherlands or anything, but a little road safety wouldn't hurt.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/ndot-reveals-5-year-vision-zero-draft-plan-to-keep-pedestrians-safer

"Crash deaths in Nashville:

2019: 106 people killed

2020: 114 people killed, despite lower traffic volumes during the pandemic

2021: 131 people killed

YTD 2022: 77, which is around 10 more crash deaths than this time last year. 

Each year, between 30 and 40 of the deaths are people on foot."

• Sad 3

I will add something to the stroad conversation on top of my train proposal as well. I like the partnership between Strong Towns and Not Just Bikes as it brings a little different feel than the typical strong town articles. I have never been a huge follower of ST, but I definitely agree with the stroad argument. NATCO is a big organization I follow and one of the best arguments I have seen is how roads have continued to get bigger and bigger primarily because of vehicle size and certain organizational advocacy. Fire Departments, for example, have said that they can have better response times with a bigger emergency vehicles and less things in their way (bike lanes and street trees), but as a result, they need more dedicated vehicle space. When studies are showing just the opposite are true. NACTO and the USDOT Volpe Center have a Large Urban Vehicle study that shows how our country's tendency toward bigger vehicles have a direct connection to traffic fatalities. This is from 2018, but traffic fatalities have only grown since 2018.

Large vehicles—including fire trucks, waste management vehicles, and freight trucks—count for a disproportionate, and growing, number of fatalities on U.S. streets. Despite making up only 4% of the U.S. vehicle fleet, trucks account for 7% of all pedestrian, 11% of all bicyclist, and 12% of all car and light-truck fatalities. Over the past year, even as overall traffic fatalities slightly declined, fatalities involving large trucks increased 9%.

Some larger vehicles are needed to deliver goods/product/equipment, sure. The argument isn't about excluding those vehicles, but rather how do we change our road designs to better create some equality of the road space. Why are roads being designed for 4% (probably up to 10%) of the US vehicle fleet? Instead, when operating within an urban core, those larger vehicles either A) need to find a way to downsize to get to their final destination or B) move at only specific times so that the roads can be clear for them. Some of this also comes into play with parking on both sides of certain streets not being allowed and having better enforcement of these parking areas.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

Why are roads being designed for 4% (probably up to 10%) of the US vehicle fleet? Instead, when operating within an urban core, those larger vehicles either A) need to find a way to downsize to get to their final destination or B) move at only specific times so that the roads can be clear for them.

Problem is that if you live in a downtown urban area your quality of life is highly influenced by your ability to acquire the goods trucks deliver. Particularly considering most freight costs go into first/last-mile delivery. And if you are limited to walking, biking, transit, etc. then you're even more dependent on having access to them closer to home.

We talk a lot about affordable living downtown but if goods that would otherwise be delivered in 53' trailers during business hours are instead broken into three single-unit deliveries at night or off-peak hours then the cost of everything you buy increases significantly.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

Some larger vehicles are needed to deliver goods/product/equipment, sure. The argument isn't about excluding those vehicles, but rather how do we change our road designs to better create some equality of the road space. Why are roads being designed for 4% (probably up to 10%) of the US vehicle fleet? Instead, when operating within an urban core, those larger vehicles either A) need to find a way to downsize to get to their final destination or B) move at only specific times so that the roads can be clear for them. Some of this also comes into play with parking on both sides of certain streets not being allowed and having better enforcement of these parking areas.

To your point, I think solution "A" would be far more common than solution "B". There will always be large vehicles like the mobile cranes we're seeing at high rise sites. but a lot of the routes that "need" larger vehicles are really just overstating their convenience. In the built-up urban areas of Seoul and Tokyo you'll almost never see a work truck larger than these:

image.jpeg.8b2d330c41d527018458072c974cf906.jpeg

1 minute ago, PruneTracy said:

Problem is that if you live in a downtown urban area your quality of life is highly influenced by your ability to acquire the goods trucks deliver. Particularly considering most freight costs go into first/last-mile delivery. And if you are limited to walking, biking, transit, etc. then you're even more dependent on having access to them closer to home.

We talk a lot about affordable living downtown but if goods that would otherwise be delivered in 53' trailers during business hours are instead broken into three single-unit deliveries at night or off-peak hours then the cost of everything you buy increases significantly.

I think that's a two-edged sword, though. On one hand, delivery costs go up in the situation you described. On the other hand, the infrastructure cost required to allow 53' trailers to access every building downtown is much higher than it would be if smaller vehicles were used. I'm not going to pretend I know exactly how the costs shake out one way or another, just pointing out that there are a lot of externalities to the situation.

• Like 4

I will add this perspective. Wherever a “new” TPAC is located better be in a location that can accommodate the big trucks, if it wants to host big Broadway tours. If the current location in the middle of the CBD had prohibited 18 wheelers there would have been NO touring shows, period. The biggest of them travel in 20+ big rigs!

Edited by donNdonelson2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A skilled truck driver can navigate into a loading bay in many many conditions....

Here is the Providence RI Performing Arts Center.

image.thumb.png.fcb0a7c9948ac665c36e8c3838966197.png

Here is the Boston Opera House

image.thumb.png.9a93082b4c1687e0affcc6aea2d15268.png

Here is the Charles Theater, Boch Wang, Boch Shubert, Wilbur

image.thumb.png.af8d6a9b4d4fde9b1baf32b0f3edeff6.png

The Ed Sullivan Theater and Broadway theater in NYC

image.png.6d34429e04dc8d15b4a18902410e6a13.png

Just for giggles, here is the Royal Albert Hall

image.thumb.png.7e1f06fdd6d61893bd5215a9b7d5f707.png

One would could argue that some of the biggest musical and theatrical productions in the world can move in and out of these venues pretty efficiently with minimal road sizing. Loading of goods, theater productions, whatever we want to talk about is part of an everyday life. What I (and others) are saying is the streets can be much better designed to accommodate both people and vehicles. I could see TPAC having two loading bays at 10'x50' or 12'x50' for a little extra cushion where a trailer is backed in, and the semi leaves the scene and then the trailer is unloaded. Shows with 20+ big rigs NEVER converge and unload all at once, they move into a theater in waves. It is a part of doing business. 

• Like 4

My comment was in reference to suggestions that there should perhaps be restrictions to access of some areas of the city by the big rigs. Oh, believe me, I’ve seen the skill of these truck drivers! I’ve been on shows in many of the venues you have referenced.

Edited by donNdonelson2
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

there is a certain convenience factor that many Americans have grown very accustomed to that in actuality is artificially low because of things such as roads (think how Uber/lyft artificially kept their prices low, then they spiked when IPO time came around). Some will say “welfare state” for those other countries, yet all these companies that bring large vehicles into the cities have been subsidized (welfare) by the city and their road design. 

A lot of things are like that including parking downtown that is free and or super cheap. Someone is paying for that, and it ends up being the city. 

• Like 2