The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

Keep in mind that the site has a lot of horizontal constraints, one of which is NRHP-listed. There's practically no room to widen the bridge and the only candidate for clawing back width is the TWLTL which leads to some awkward lane shifts/tapers.
What's frustrating here is that at the time this was in the planning stages the Hyatt had not yet been built and the Tennessean's building was still standing. There could have been an opportunity to grab some extra ROW to the north at least.

I don’t think the road needs to be any wider, but seven lanes for what is a backbone road of downtown seems excessive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

The parking minimum bill (BL2022-1412) passed city council with flying colors last night. 24 council members voted in favor of removing parking minimums within the entire UZO. Approval came with two substitutes:

1. From Planning that converted the existing parking minimums into parking maximums. A development can go over the maximum via BZA approval, but that overage will count toward its overall FAR. 
  2. A property with a Landmark Overlay dated after 11/15/2022 would be exempt and would still have parking minimums.

My understanding is the Landmark Overlay was targeted at commercial use buildings in residential areas. For example, East Nashville has a proposed event venue for 300 people, but originally had no parking. A landmark overlay would require that project to find parking to meet the minimums.

Does this take effect immediately? Will we see any pending proposals reshuffled to remove or reduce parking?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

The parking minimum bill (BL2022-1412) passed city council with flying colors last night. 24 council members voted in favor of removing parking minimums within the entire UZO. Approval came with two substitutes:

1. From Planning that converted the existing parking minimums into parking maximums. A development can go over the maximum via BZA approval, but that overage will count toward its overall FAR. 
  2. A property with a Landmark Overlay dated after 11/15/2022 would be exempt and would still have parking minimums.

My understanding is the Landmark Overlay was targeted at commercial use buildings in residential areas. For example, East Nashville has a proposed event venue for 300 people, but originally had no parking. A landmark overlay would require that project to find parking to meet the minimums.

I thought it got bumped back to committee, because they were adding some crap about parking in residential areas? 

*admittedly I was following along via people live tweeting the meeting.

I don't love the maximums either but hopefully it won't actually make much of a difference in practice.

As a related aside, I understand the $10/year residential parking permits are a political necessity, but I'd like to see a plan to phase those out long term, it's kind of contrary to the whole idea to provide extremely subsidized public space as parking for incumbents.

15 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

What do these residential parking permits cover and who is going to need them?

https://www.nashville.gov/departments/transportation/traffic-and-parking/parking/apply-parking-permit 

This is an existing program where street parking can be signed for residential permits only (usually only during busy hours) and the permits are only $10 a year. It's already in place in a bunch of streets in 5 Points and 12 South, at least. It makes sense as a political solution to resident complaints but, in my opinion, viewed in isolation it's pretty bad to be giving away in-demand public space to locals basically for free to the exclusion of everyone else.

Edited by GregH
additional context
  • Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 11:44 AM, PaulChinetti said:

Employers will need to start paying for parking. My last job downtown did that. 

My job currently does this, but I think some companies may stop when it starts to get expensive OR if they deem parking important for their employees, they will relocate out of downtown to avoid the high cost of parking.

• Like 3