The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

12 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

If there was a north/south interstate in west TN, things would be a whole lot better.

The only option there is a continuation of I 69 and the proposed transcontinental Hwy. I think it is slow going right now. The KY portion is slow going and this has been a dream for years and is now started to happen.

Interstate 69 Corridor Timeline (tn.gov)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Given Chattanooga's history as a rail hub and of course, Atlanta's and Nashville's as a part of the L&N RR network, it's strange to me that there wasn't a link for passenger rail already between Nashville and Atlanta.  I suppose there used to be passenger service via Southern RR, I know there was between Knoxville and Atlanta. 

Yep! I went to high school at Knoxville’s L&N STEM Academy which is in the old L&N station. It was such a great building but I could never stop thinking about how nice it’d be if it was still a train station 😕

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

By the time this is done, if it is done, I will be dead and gone or too old to enjoy it. I will just continue to drive my rear end to wherever and contribute to global warming.

I'm in the same situation, I'll be 74 in April and all of these transportation projects will take many years to complete.

• Thanks 1

On 2/1/2023 at 2:39 PM, smeagolsfree said:

By the time this is done, if it is done, I will be dead and gone or too old to enjoy it. I will just continue to drive my rear end to wherever and contribute to global warming.

...Just as I've said in at least one previous post, with respect to rapid transit in Metro.   With the necessary lead time in planning and and engineering, it just about would be time for me to meet the "Deep-Six", before any sizable segment would be up and running.

There have been even much more start-up projects in other regions much more robust than any single portion of previously proposed LRT (light rail transit) lines for Nashville.  WMATA's (DC-MD-VA) first opening (start-up) was a portion of its current Red Line Metro (Heavy Rail - HRT) was constructed and opened in just over 6 years spanning just over 4-1/2 miles.  In all fairness, the Washington Metro was the result of political will mustered on the federal (congressional) level, in part to get rid of the pre-existing privately owned DC Transit streetcar network.  LRT start-ups typically have taken from nearly 3 years (~9.5 miles) to 5-6 years (~14 miles) from initial ground-breaking to opening, so I have a running chance to still be around, if Metro Nashville stops  kicking the can down the road within ─ say ─ 5 years.  But there's still the development stage that takes a while before any construction is undertaken.

On 2/1/2023 at 3:33 PM, MontanaGuy said:

I'm in the same situation, I'll be 74 in April and all of these transportation projects will take many years to complete.

Finally, yet another somebody on this thread, who's actually older than me (than "I" ─ 72 next Sept.)...😆

• Like 2