The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

Gov's budget dropped tonight. Key highlights for infrastructure:

"To address infrastructure needs, the administration is proposing legislation to address Tennessee’s transportation system. The legislation proposes the use of public-private partnerships (P3s), allows for alternative project delivery, and brings the electric vehicle fee into parity with gasoline vehicles. Further, the proposed legislation establishes the Transportation Modernization Fund. This budget allocates $3,000,000,000 into the fund from the general fund for transportation projects that address congestion in all four of the Department of Transportation’s regions."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, lmc123 said:

Gov's budget dropped tonight. Key highlights for infrastructure:

"To address infrastructure needs, the administration is proposing legislation to address Tennessee’s transportation system. The legislation proposes the use of public-private partnerships (P3s), allows for alternative project delivery, and brings the electric vehicle fee into parity with gasoline vehicles. Further, the proposed legislation establishes the Transportation Modernization Fund. This budget allocates $3,000,000,000 into the fund from the general fund for transportation projects that address congestion in all four of the Department of Transportation’s regions."

Does that money for transportation projects include transit? He said he was focused on roads…of course…so that's why I'm asking.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, UrbanWes03 said:

Does that money for transportation projects include transit? He said he was focused on roads…of course…so that's why I'm asking.

Not specifically or at all unless it is included in the modernization fund to alleviate congestion in all four TDOT districts....at first glance.

3 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

It’s for a 10 lane superhighway in Scott County! Come on, do any of you think any of it will come to  Nashville? 

If I had to guess, all Nashville will get are private express lanes out to the burbs. If we are lucky, the downtown loop rebuild, or at least a phase of it, will be included. If we are unlucky, the awful proposed overpasses at various intersections will be the funded projects. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Transforming transportation: TDOT's proposal for 'choice lanes,' $3 billion in road improvements

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/transforming-transportation-tdots-proposal-for-choice-lanes-3-billion-in-road-improvements

More studies, widening in rural areas, and 30 year buildouts. Projects would probably start in 2033 and complete in 2063, which by that time we will be due for more studies, even wider lanes, and more studies for the future. I'm being sarcastic on the dates, but that's how it feels when it comes to TDOT projects. 

No mention whatsoever of mass transit. 

Edited by nashmoney

8 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

TDOT is a joke. 

I have asked this question before, is it TDOT that’s at fault? I’m not sure on that. I think it’s the bureaucratic hands that bind them. At least I would hope so, because otherwise it’s really lame. 
Tennessee is already 20 years behind the curve on infrastructure, we need major improvement Yesterday!! 

10 hours ago, nashmoney said:

Transforming transportation: TDOT's proposal for 'choice lanes,' $3 billion in road improvements

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/transforming-transportation-tdots-proposal-for-choice-lanes-3-billion-in-road-improvements

More studies, widening in rural areas, and 30 year buildouts. Projects would probably start in 2033 and complete in 2063, which by that time we will be due for more studies, even wider lanes, and more studies for the future. I'm being sarcastic on the dates, but that's how it feels when it comes to TDOT projects. 

No mention whatsoever of mass transit. 

TDOT is proposing legislative changes that will speed up project delivery. On average it's 15 years right now. They are requesting legislative authority to do a "progressive design build" as opposed to the traditional "design bid build". They would also increase the ability to do more "design build" projects. See this fact sheet for more info:

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/tdot/build-with-us/Delivery-Method-One-Pagers-20.pdf

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bos2Nash said:

I like the sidewalk widening, pedestrian improvement and all, but I really wish the bollards were better / more sturdy. I was walking around a week or two ago and I noticed the ones at 1st ave on the Acme side were already beat up pretty bad. Not sure if it is a VE choice or what, but I don’t see how these bollards are that protective if they bend and give so easily to vehicles. 

I imagine it's a compromise between protecting pedestrians and not killing passengers of the moving vehicle... kind of like a modern car's "crumple zones" to help absorb the force of an impact.

Personally, I share your opinion: I'd rather these things be designed to shrug off basically any impact without any visible deformation. Granted, a friend involved in their installation mentioned to me that they are indeed very stout. Details in my memory are fuzzy and probably inaccurate, but I recall them saying it would take something like a 20-ton truck at high speed to completely demolish one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

I like the sidewalk widening, pedestrian improvement and all, but I really wish the bollards were better / more sturdy. I was walking around a week or two ago and I noticed the ones at 1st ave on the Acme side were already beat up pretty bad. Not sure if it is a VE choice or what, but I don’t see how these bollards are that protective if they bend and give so easily to vehicles. 

Something looks wrong in that picture....They've put the bollards up a step-unlike the rest of the sidewalk extensions.

That could spell trouble for people who have "had a few".

21 minutes ago, bnacincy said:

Something looks wrong in that picture....They've put the bollards up a step-unlike the rest of the sidewalk extensions.

That could spell trouble for people who have "had a few".

I think there is an ADA handicap ramp that factors into to odd look of the bollard placement.

(but my eye could be fooling me with what exactly is going on here)

Edited by donNdonelson2
Second thoughts
  • Like 1

Wish I caught the Brightline train downtown! Speaking of trains ... given the recent derailments/collisions in the news (Ohio and now Houston), I was reminded that I've always been puzzled by the lack of protective arms at some major railroad crossings in Nashville, while many at-grade crossings with smaller streets do have those arms. Is it based on frequency of train traffic? Particularly noticeable right near me - Charlotte Ave around 40th, and every single crossing north of that gets at most the lights, and the farther north/west you go, it starts to become just a yield sign or ordinary white railroad sign with no lights, despite fairly frequent train traffic and a lot of tractor trailers. There was already the ethanol truck/train collision here last year, and I don't want to imagine what would happen if a train serving InnoPhos got involved in a wreck...