The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

On 2/13/2023 at 5:29 PM, PaulChinetti said:

Instead of EV fees and wheel taxes etc. I saw a good point that vehicles should all be charged by weight, because the more a vehicles weighs the more damage it does to a roadway.

This is my thought as well. This would balance between gas and EV vehicles. I’m all for EVs, but the fact that the “hummer ev” is 9,000 pounds is just insane. But if it is more expensive to drive the bigger vehicles maybe we start to see a decline in vehicle sizes

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

Then quite honestly, I would not really support EVs and will ultimately pull back my reservation from GM. We are supposed to be finding a cleaner alternative, but if we just get bigger and heavier, than we need to mine more for battery materials and have larger batteries to move heavier vehicles which in turn cause more maintenance issues on the roads. So in reality all we are doing is moving the bad aspects of the transportation sector around and making the drivers feel better about themselves. UGH!!

I am sort of with you on this. There is going to have to be a better alternative. I think EV's are a short-term solution. The oil companies are investing in the tech, however they are also investing in Hydrogen tech as well. Lithium batteries are not very environmentally friendly to say the least, and the problems with safety and disposal of these batteries are going to present a lot of issues. Look at the recent problems with the car fires in Florida after the hurricanes. That is not to mention all of the spontaneous car fires of other EV' there have been especially with Tesla.

That may end up being in the cards, but the tech has a long way to go. Toyota has a prototype hydrogen vehicle, but hydrogen at this point is still very inefficient. Lots of information out there on Hydrogen to digest if you are in for a lot of reading.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chc3 said:

One of my pet peeves is the posting of laws that are never enforced. I’m speaking of the ubiquitous signs around town stating the state law to stop for pedestrians at crosswalks. I frequently walk downtown through Bicentennial Mall and less than 5% of drivers on Jefferson come to a stop. Many speed up when they see a pedestrian. No one cares about what I’m about to say, but I lived on the West Coast much of my life and drivers there always stop. Unless we’re willing to enforce this state law with cameras and hefty fines, let’s remove the signs. Rant over.

People speed up when pedestrians are actively crossing the street?  Or are they waiting to cross the street?  

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

People speed up when pedestrians are actively crossing the street?  Or are they waiting to cross the street?  

Usually while they are waiting, but I’ve had them increase speed while I’m crossing Jefferson and James Robertson Pkwy in front of the State Capitol.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1