The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

4 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

About 10-15 years ago the corridor studies for most of these interstates recommended full widening to six lanes throughout the state. You can view the current and previous studies here:

Corridor and Feasibility Studies (tn.gov)

TDOT declined to start large-scale widening projects at the time because (a) they didn't have the funding to do so; (b) the directive from local and state officials at the time prioritized surface streets/highways and multimodal access; and (c) they were in the middle of pushback from citizens and special interest groups over the traffic and environmental impacts of large projects.

(Incidentally I used to work with a former TDOT planner who was closely involved in this decision and had to travel the state with them frequently for work. I always made it a point to comment on being stuck behind a truck when it happened to rile them up because that's the kind of person I am)

In the last few years TDOT has started this process mainly from Memphis to Jackson along I-40 but also along other interstates. TDOT is widening Interstate 65 from Nashville to the KY state line now; it was the largest single project ever let by the state. Elsewhere you may see "truck climbing lanes" and similar beginning to pop up that will be connected to create continuous six-lane corridors. But it won't be done a hundred miles at a time simply because the environmental and procurement process makes that very difficult.

There's a bill currently in the state legislature to allow TDOT to enter into P3s and expand their ability to conduct alternative delivery projects in order to get projects in the ground quicker and take advantage of alternative funding channels, particularly those that put more financial risk on private operators. But then many on this forum will be complaining about "Lexus lanes". It seems the one solution everyone agrees on is that it's better to just issue bonds now and let future generations worry about how they get paid.

As a Chattanoogan, it's frustrating to see that I-24 corridor study was done 10 years ago!!!!  And nothing is different along that route to M'boro.  We don't even plan weekend trips to/beyond Nashville anymore because the return bottleneck between Nickajack and Chattanooga ALWAYS gets bogged down and it's very frustrating.  It may not be TDOT's complete fault, but they should not be proud of the "pay go" rule, which wouldn't even be recognized as good business (financial) management anywhere.  By several accounts I've seen in recent years, even a very limited amount of debt serviced by gas tax revenues would bring in approximately $30-40 million additionally each year.  My source was a 3 year old blue book report on annual gas tax revenues which amounted to apx. $1 billion. Rough figures with a Debt:Rev ratio of 15-20% would allow an initial $150-200 million released with a ten-year bond interest of approximately $6-14M per year with debt ceiling raised by the growth each year conservatively estimated at 2% y-y. That's an additional $30-40 million (before interest)* and as existing debt retires. If that had been done when the study was concluded in 2013, and debt funding had been used that would be somewhere between $300-500M (net of interest) that could have kick-started (and possibly fully funded the full I-24 widening from KY to GA)**.  So TEN years later, the only thing to show for it is a lot of fancy light boards that theoretically would keep traffic flowing by rerouting to Murfreesboro Road.  That's supposed to be a solution to doubling the MSA population in 20 years?  I've read projections that Rutherford Co. may well have 600,000 residents by 2040. 

*There are future considerations to be included here that should forecast a range of years when the gas tax revenues begin to decline based on growth in EV use.  I merely present this very high level explanation to show one possibility. 

** I do not know what the cost per mile for TDOT Interstate widening was/is during the past 10 years. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, bnacincy said:

I'm thinking they probably need to widen 24 from the I59 junction in North Georgia all the way to the Highwy 27 junction near downtown Chattanooga.

I’m surprised that Georgia hasn’t done anything to the section that dips into their territory and the I-59 interchange. Guess they figure to wait on Tennessee to do their part, which may never come. The section from HWY 27 to at least Brown’s Ferry Road, might need to have two levels. East bound on the lower and West on the upper, it’s pretty tight around the bends with the river on one side and the railway on the other. There no room to build enough extra lanes though there, I say enough because it really needs to be four lane minimum in each direction. 

This from The Nashville Post on Friday:

Gov. Bill Lee’s Transportation Modernization Act completed its passage through the Tennessee General Assembly on Thursday, looking nearly identical to the way it started. The multibillion-dollar plan will affect the state’s approach to infrastructure for decades to come.

“It’s time to do something about the way we address our infrastructure,” said Rep. Dan Howell (R-Cleveland) while presenting the bill on the House floor. 

The core of the legislation centers on freeing up the state to make use of public-private partnerships in building “choice lanes,” which critics have taken to referring to as toll lanes. These choice lanes would be built by private companies on existing highways, giving drivers the option of paying a fee in exchange for theoretically avoiding traffic. Advocates for the bill argue that this would not only open up a new stream of revenue, but also free up the Tennessee Department of Transportation’s limited resources, allowing the department to devote its time to rural projects. 

From the time the plan was first presented by the governor in January, the proposal has received bipartisan support, as well as bipartisan criticism. The bill squeaked through the Senate Transportation Committee on a 5-4 vote, with three Republicans joining Sen. Heidi Campbell (D-Nashville) in voting against the bill. 

“We have this triple A bond rating, and if there's ever a time to use it, this would be one of those times,” Campbell said, referring to the state's strong status according to credit rating agencies. The governor has touted the lack of new debt or an increase to the gas tax as selling points for his plan. “If it's a profitable endeavor for private entities,” said Campbell, “then surely it would be a profitable endeavor for us.”

Early on in the legislative session, Campbell was open to the bill despite having some concerns. But she says as she has grown more familiar with the legislation, her concerns have deepened, mainly surrounding how the bill treats Nashville. Critics of the proposal were quick to point out that of the $3 billion proposed, Nashville and Middle Tennessee would receive the least funding per capita under the current allotments.

“Basically we're getting double charged,” said Campbell, expressing a common concern among critics that funding for rural projects will come out of the pockets of urban drivers through the choice lanes, on top of the taxes residents are already paying. “If you look at other privatizations endeavors in this state — like, CoreCivic comes to mind. They don't go well. And I am very concerned about putting taxpayers on the hook for that component of it."

Campbell was one of five senators to vote against the bill when it  passed on the Senate floor on March 20. Sen. Jeff Yarbro (D-Nashville) and Minority Leader Raumesh Akbari (D-Memphis) both supported the bill but expressed concern that it was not ambitious enough to address the state's infrastructure needs. 

Protesters rallied against gun violence at the Capitol on Thursday, and the ensuing chaos led Republican leaders to bar most debate on the House floor.  

Six amendments were tabled during the session, most of which were proposed by Rep. John Ray Clemmons (D-Nashville), who started with an impassioned speech pleading with his peers to vote positively on an amendment to help expand Amtrak in Tennessee. 

“Amtrak wants to be in Tennessee,” said Clemmons. “They are practically begging us to take their money, and invest it and restart intrastate passenger rail service, which could be used for interstate passenger rail service.”

TDOT sent a letter to U.S. Department of Transportation late last year expressing interest in expanding Amtrak throughout Tennessee. But with grants being competitive, advocates for passenger rail expansion have argued that TDOT needs to be doing more to secure federal funding. 

“This isn’t asking us to spend a bunch of money,” said Clemmons. “This is asking the state of Tennessee, requiring the department to work with the federal government. … This shouldn’t even be controversial.”

Clemmons argued that having Amtrak lines between major Tennessee cities, and even connecting to Atlanta, could bolster the economies of not only urban cores but also rural counties. 

The amendment failed, and the act passed the House on a 78-12 margin. It now makes its way to the governor's desk.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Wait! Whait?!  

The sewer was redone in a multiyear construction effort, and they put the wooden sticks for the utilities back in place?  Didn't even have the sense to put underground.... or at least put them on one side of the street?  

Those were to be buried as part of the Circle South development that we are still patiently waiting on. 

• Like 4

On 4/9/2023 at 9:30 AM, markhollin said:

The couple of blocks of 8th Ave. South below the Music City Roundabout are finally repaved over the large scale sewer replacement project.  It was like the surface of the moon for several years. 

And it still is from this point all the way out 8th to the I-440 overpass.  The recent Metro Water project has left the southbound lanes a mess. 

20 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

This study says TN should remove one of your major freeways downtown.  (the 2 on the NC list are likely to NEVER be removed nor should they as that is the view from NC DOT)

But I thought I share this even though I don't agree with it.   

https://southernurbanism.org/blog/southern-freeway-removal-phil-veasley

This all being said I will say it again there needs to be bypass from north of Nashville around the east side to connect with existing I-840 to get that through truck traffic out of the center city.   (and don't tell me it can't be done because of rock etc)  Make it toll to pay it off.  

To make matters worse, the guy used a skyline shot that was at least 7 years old! Looks as if the Bridgestone was under construction.

The guy does not even suggest which interstate should be removed either, or rather if he is saying all of them should be removed. If he is saying that, then where should we remove them to. Dufus! Some people are full of it. As much as I hate interstate's there is a need for them.  Some folks clearly have their brains in the wrong parts of their body. The cost of such a project would be in the 10s of billions.

The ginny is out of the bottle! Where do you reroute three interstates worth of traffic to. There simply is no space to route them to without uprooting entire neighborhoods. It could be done to the north maybe, but the south and the east would be a disaster and the political pushback would be a death sentence for any politician that tried it. Metro is growing to the east and south. Even 840 will not handle the traffic that would be pushed on it at rush hour being that far out. The stretch between the Lebanon and Franklin gets quite a bit of traffic already.

When the 840 project was on the books for the north leg, the environmentalist and the nimby's were out in full force.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, PaulChinetti said:

Well he’s comparing it to the big dig. So I guess he advocating for tunnels?

We could cap almost everything on the south side and that would be a good start. Including 440. 

I was not even counting that end of the expense of either capping the interstates turned boulevards or just turning them into boulevards. The cost of rerouting the interstates is billions by themselves. The other factor is that if people have the choice of using a Blvd vs an interstate to cut 50 miles off of their travel, which one do you think they will use?

2 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

I think it is good these interstate conversations are happening. I think the inner loop should go away (or at least be capped) and you keep the I-24/I-65 route through East

I agree that conversation and actions need to happen. Don’t agree fully that the inner loop goes away, and in your plan above where does I-40 reroute to? The inner loop would be a completely different animal , if as our friend KJHBurg mentioned a interstate connection from the East ( Lebanon) up across the North with connections to  major arteries and both I-65 and I-24 back to I-40 on the west ( Dickson) a northern completion of I-840 if you want to call it that. Traffic though Downtown on the inner loop is horrible, due to the large volume of unnecessary commercial truck traffic and folks just passing through. Yes I-840’s southern route is a good alternative for south and East/West travel, but does nothing for those going to the north. And if trucks are ever forced to use I-840 as Georgia does with I-285 around Atlanta, then just the southern route will not be enough to handle the volume or address those needing to head north. If the issue with just the pass though traffic is addressed, the difference for local traffic on the inner loop will surprise you all. The loop being in Downtown isn’t the problem, but I’m surely aware that in the current political climate those in the State House care nothing bout Nashville’s traffic woes. Every major city has interstates running though them, it’s basically the reason they became major cities. It’s the ones with the will to do something to help eliminate the vehicles that don’t really need to be passing through the inner city , that people will remember as a good place to move around in. 

• Like 1