The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

16 minutes ago, Archibum said:

Why not a train at grade on Donelson Pk if we are dreaming? I feel like Donelson Pk doesn't get the traffic now to warrant as many lanes as it has.

The primary reason I said tunnel was to avoid a conflict with the state as it is a state road. The train would also be a regional rail train set that would require a grade separation. As I said above, I don't see a LR train set getting up to economies scale between the airport and Donelson Station.

20 hours ago, Archibum said:

Why not a train at grade on Donelson Pk if we are dreaming? I feel like Donelson Pk doesn't get the traffic now to warrant as many lanes as it has.

Donelson Pike is state Route 255. State controlled Hwy. So, the state will not allow a dedicated lane.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/18/2023 at 3:47 PM, Bos2Nash said:

I think connecting the terminal to Donelson Station is our best move for connecting the airport to downtown. The issue with a Donelson station connection is we do not have enough frequency on the WeGo Star for it to work correctly. We could technically tie it into the bus system at Donelson Station, but then it is the same discussion as the Murfreesboro BRT line. Light Rail for this small length almost doesn't make sense. Rail is so expensive here in the country, there needs to be a larger project to get to the economies that make light rail make sense. One thing to keep in mind when referencing light rail is it's not just laying some track and procuring some trains. It is those two things, plus a layover/store yard, a maintenance facility it is investment in land for those items, etc. So for light rail to work we really need to get to a certain scale to see the economies in it.

At the encouragement of some of the CMs I forwarded the below post from last July to all the CMs in which the WeGo Star serves. It resulted in a conversation with Jeff Syracuse and Steve Bland where we chatted about the Star as a whole and where things stand with Positive Train Control (this is why WeGo cut the late trains on Friday and Titan game trains), TOD and overall system expansion. The plan below shows a tunnel that goes from Donelson Station to the Airport, but I have been told rail tunnels are running approximately $1 billion per mile (!!!). A solid modification to the idea below could convert the segment from the Airport to Donelson to shuttle busses (natural gas/electric/hydrogen powered) and then the train on 15 to 30 minute headways could pick folks up.

No matter what though, a connection to Donelson would involve a serious investment and upgrade for one of our existing systems or the other.

I don't think a connection to Donelson is going to happen in the foreseeable future for all the reasons mentioned above.

However, while it's still unlikely to happen, I think a more realistic scenario is a limited stop BRT running from the airport down Donelson Pike to Murfreesboro Pike, then up Rosa Parks or John Lewis to Charlotte and on to central station. With sub-15 minute headways and running on dedicated lanes with preferential signals and limited stops, you could create a sub-30 minute trip from the airport to downtown largely immune to traffic tie-ups. With a little more investment this could be a light rail line, too.

For an absolute non-sequiter, while playing around with existing bus schedules and routes, I discovered that the 55 (Downtown to Hickory Hollow) runs with 10 minute headways basically from 5:00AM to 6:00PM, at which point it goes to 20 minutes until 10:00, then 30 minutes until 11:30. That's much better service than I realized was on any route in the system, and better than most WMATA MetroBus service here in DC. Even the 'premium' quasi-BRT Metroway service only runs every 12 minutes at best. The 18 on the other hand, the Airport route, only runs every 45-50 minutes until 6:00PM, running local service down Elm Hill Pike, at which point it switches to hourly express service bypassing Elm Hill Pike. This is honestly worse than useless... it's insulting.

• Like 4

On 6/4/2023 at 11:56 AM, PruneTracy said:

Broadway bridge replacement. Kiewit is using it to store the deck panels.

Interestingly they did the same thing for Fast Fix 8, I asked the TDOT structures director if they were going to let Kiewit build a field office there. He didn't think it was amusing as I did.

Seems like that area was also used as staging for several other projects over the years.   

• Like 1

Every time I see a new post from this thread I'm like... Yaaaaayyy mass transit. Then I scroll down and it's things that should have been done 20 years ago like sidewalks, pedestrian crossings, bridge rebuilds, and safety bollards on Broadway. I guess mass transit will never come to Nashville... Oh Well. I'll keep wishing... 

Edited by nashmoney
  • Like 2