The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

We're pretty desperate to get one over in East Nashville to get people to/from the hotspots, none of which are along the Gallatin Pike bus routes, without driving and parking.  Part of the problem seems to be that the MCCircuit buses apparently can't legally do point-to-point stops (such as 5 Points, Walden, Porter East, Riverside Village), so the bus would have to make a whole bunch of stops in between, which would sort of duplicate the #4 Shelby Bus that actually covers many of these stops but of course doesn't run very often or late at night or on weekends, which is precisly when people are patronizing most of the spots.  I hope that we can get somehing worked out soon!

I was at an MTA meeting last week and the said the MC Circuit is currently attracting 22,000 riders per month (IIRC.....it was twenty something for sure). They seemed to point to that as a very good route. At the we recommended that a similar circuit be added to connect the Gulch, Edgehill Village, 12South, Hillsboro Village, Vandy, and Belmont. They seemed to be open to the idea but said it would be a couple years at least before anything comes to fruition.

• Like 1

Sorry but your facts are incorrect. They have said they want to lease the space but the space is already under lease for the next 5 years. Great PR move to say this but very easy to say when they know it can't be done.

I am only saying one thing and it is all I have ever stated. If you are a private entity you need to participate in the same manner as all other private, for profit companies. If you believe that Megabus deserves to be treated differently than others than that is your opinion and you have a right to that opinion. Mine differs, that's all.

I don't think you're really saying anything at all, which is the ultimate irony. You're just going in circles stating private business should be private business and don't think MegaBus has the right to ask MTA for a lease. Your point is understood, albeit that's a very ideological way of viewing things and not clear on all the facts.

In terms of facts, Greyhound leases public transit agency spots all over America, just not in Nashville particularly.

I'll give you two examples: where I live in Buffalo, NY Megabus leases a spot out of the NFTA transport center. NFTA is the public port authority in metro Buffalo, they operate the two regional airports (Niagara Falls International and Buffalo-Niagara International airports), they operate the Metro system, the bus system, and the area marina facilities on area lakes and rivers. Its similar to the MTA, only its role is much larger here. Guess what? Greyhound also operates out of NFTA's bus terminal in Buffalo! LOL So in Buffalo, the same bus terminal is used by both MegaBus and Greyhound. So Greyhound plays by the same rules in markets where it makes sense to do so.

The second example is a bit closer to home. Memphis' transit agency MATA allows MegaBus to operate out of its north downtown terminal for bus operations.

MegaBus is willing to pay and lease spots from transit agencies, it is common business practice for them. It isn't out of norm, nor is it bad.

You don't have all the facts, because you don't know how these business operate around the nation. All bus services, Greyhound included, leases public spots when they see that it works for them. Its no different from how airports lease public facilities to private airliners. Transportation is not something that should be 100% private all the time, especially when Megabus has such a small amount of business relative to the need to build its own facilities.

But enough said, you're very ideological, I'm more moderate in my approach to transportation issues.

Edited by BrandonTO416

There is an old saying that applies to this situation. "I can explain it to you but I can't make you understand it" That is where we are right now. Here are the facts that I do know:

Megabus has not made ANY overtures to MTA or anyone else in the public domain for a lease that is attainable. Wishing for a lease on a piece of property that has been publicly stated to be already under lease is not an offer. If and when Megabus decides to do what you say they are doing in other cities then they will be playing on a level field which is all Metro is asking and all I have stated all along. Not too difficult to understand.

I just hope that MegaBus installs some garbage cans in their new spot in Sobro.  And maybe hires security. 

I drive past their Nolensville Rd spot everyday on my way home, and that field is always full of trash.  I mean, that's not the nicest area of town by any means, but there is so much garbage there now that the grassy lot looks almost as bad as it did after the 2010 flood.  It's horrendous.  I'm surprised that the city hasn't taken them to environmental court for the debris left behind by their customers.  Then again, I'm surprised that the city doesn't do that to all of the discount beer/tobacco joints or even gas stations whose lots are constantly a source of blowing garbage.

I mention the security issue because there seem to be police speaking with or possibly arresting people at the MegaBus lot at least 2 or 3 days a week when I am driving home from work.  The entire northbound shoulder of Nolensville Rd has turned into a defacto parking lot for the MegaBus customers, which is a safety issue for those families of the customers and for the drivers.  At least the Sobro location will allow everyone to get out of the way of traffic.

I hate to say this but most of the clientele that I see camped out in the cold waiting for MegaBus on Nolensville Road don't seem to have the financial wherewithal to be renting $200/night hotel rooms in downtown Nashville like some have suggested on this forum.  Maybe some, but my impression is that most of these individuals are taking Megas because it is within their limited financial means.  If they could afford fancy hotels, they would be taking a transportation option that included covered bus stops.  Just saying.  And I don't mean that to disparage these individuals in any way.   But many of them remind me of myself as a starving student from a working poor family taking the Greyhound bus to get home to family during breaks.  I couldn't afford a car or a plane ticket.  I could scarcely afford Ramen!

I hope that MegaBus and the city can work something out to provide a better long-term location for this service.

There is an old saying that applies to this situation. "I can explain it to you but I can't make you understand it" That is where we are right now. Here are the facts that I do know:

Megabus has not made ANY overtures to MTA or anyone else in the public domain for a lease that is attainable. Wishing for a lease on a piece of property that has been publicly stated to be already under lease is not an offer. If and when Megabus decides to do what you say they are doing in other cities then they will be playing on a level field which is all Metro is asking and all I have stated all along. Not too difficult to understand.

I agree, you still don't understand even though its been explained several times. Greyhound and Megabus lease the same bus terminal - the same property - here in Buffalo, NY where I live. What you're saying is factually incorrect, because you can lease a station out to two companies at once. MTA could make even more money by doing so.

This will be my last post on the issue, because I don't really care enough about Megabus to begin with, but I've been entertained with this discussion. Everytime someone here has provided facts you've sidestepped it and switched direction. Started with the "fact" that private business can't ask for leases on public facilities (not true). Then you switched and said it already has a lease, therefore by "fact" can't be leased again (not true).

You're just wrong and wrong. Its okay, I chuckle because I work in downtown Buffalo and see the terminal where MegaBus and Greyhound buses load and unload side by side because they both have a lease in the same facility. Who really cares that MTA already has a lease? Its irrelevant. 

Edited by BrandonTO416

Regarding the comment in an earlier post as to the possibility of Greyhound and Megabus sharing a lease at a terminal...Greyhound built and own their terminal in Nashville and I sincerely doubt they would be interested in leasing out a portion of their nice, new facility to a competing (and cut-rate) bus company!

Starting to think Brandon is a troll or simply has a hard time relating. I may be very opinionated but I'm pretty sure it's not hard to understand my point.

For the record Brandon the space Megabus wants to lease is not currently used as a bus terminal and is leased to a private firm as a parking lot. Both MTA and the current leasee have publicly stated they are not interested in either breaking the lease or sub leasing to anyone else. Whatever is going on in Buffalo has no bearing on what is happening here. I wouldn't pretend to tell you what should happen in Buffalo because I don't live there and am not immersed in the local culture.

Edited by producer2

A perfect location would be to accommodate Mega Bus (obviously paying a reasonable fee for the access) with a slot to drop-off and pick-up at the MTA Music City Central. This is somehow accomplished in several other cities and addresses many of the concerns we have discussed.

The Clement Land-port, which has morphed into a massive failure by every metric, was designed and paid-for by taxpayers to do exactly what Mage bus is requesting...

" In 1995, former U.S. Congressman Bob Clement secured approximately $3.6 million for the land-port, which was to serve as a transfer point for van-pools, airport and hotel shuttles and commuters."

For those interested in the history of the land-port I offer....

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/city-voices/commentary-clement-landport-s-investment-should-have-waited

Starting to think Brandon is a troll or simply has a hard time relating. I may be very opinionated but I'm pretty sure it's not hard to understand my point.

For the record Brandon the space Megabus wants to lease is not currently used as a bus terminal and is leased to a private firm as a parking lot. Both MTA and the current leasee have publicly stated they are not interested in either breaking the lease or sub leasing to anyone else. Whatever is going on in Buffalo has no bearing on what is happening here. I wouldn't pretend to tell you what should happen in Buffalo because I don't live there and am not immersed in the local culture.

You guys have a difference of opinion. Nothing more or less. Personally, i think Brandon's contributions to this forum are just as valuable as anyone else, so i wouldn't call him a troll. For that matter, i live in San Francisco, so does that mean that my opinions are worthless? In fact, many posters on here don't live in Nashville proper, so should we call them all trolls as well and disregard their opinions?

I don't want to get in the middle of the debate you guys are having, but honestly, i wish you guys would settle it via PM. Megabus is apparently signing a lease with a private lot on 4th. The Landport, MCC, public streets and the greyhound station are no longer options, so what's the point in arguing about it?

• Like 1

I have no problem agreeing to disagree, it happens all the time. I also have no issues with anyone from outside the City being involved in discussions as long as they do their homework and keep up with the information available about the local situations being discussed. We all have opinions that differ but if you believe you are right you should at least defend your position.

Nashville_Bound, I agree with you about Music City Central. All I have lobbied for is Megabus to pay for whatever space it uses be it 10 ft. Or 100 ft. I have never commented on MTA, the land port, or anything else in this matter.that is a different subject altogether. Kumbiya ya'll...

Regarding the comment in an earlier post as to the possibility of Greyhound and Megabus sharing a lease at a terminal...Greyhound built and own their terminal in Nashville and I sincerely doubt they would be interested in leasing out a portion of their nice, new facility to a competing (and cut-rate) bus company!

Since Greyhound built the terminal I don't see that happening. The terminals that MegaBus and Greyhound share in other cities are usually facilities owned by 3rd parties to both companies, like MATA in Memphis or NFTA in Buffalo. (edit: Greyhound doesn't use MATA facilities in Memphis, only Megabus)

Really it isn't the most important thing in the world, how many people does Megabus operate with? A few hundred people flowing through Nashville daily? They aren't large enough to build terminals, and if they never get a spot to lease I suppose its not the end of the world. Megabus isn't really "mass transit" so I'll go back to the topic I really care about, the BRT. I haven't seen many news clips, but did the MTA and Metro get funding for the project yet from the feds? What is that situation?

Edited by BrandonTO416

You guys have a difference of opinion. Nothing more or less. Personally, i think Brandon's contributions to this forum are just as valuable as anyone else, so i wouldn't call him a troll. For that matter, i live in San Francisco, so does that mean that my opinions are worthless? In fact, many posters on here don't live in Nashville proper, so should we call them all trolls as well and disregard their opinions?

I don't want to get in the middle of the debate you guys are having, but honestly, i wish you guys would settle it via PM. Megabus is apparently signing a lease with a private lot on 4th. The Landport, MCC, public streets and the greyhound station are no longer options, so what's the point in arguing about it?

There isn't a debate, for me its setting the facts straight. Besides - as I said before - I was born and raised in Middle Tennessee. I've only been in Buffalo since fall of 2009, I'm hardly a Buffalo local. I'm here temporarily for a job an immigration application. I've got an immigration application to move to Canada going in within two months, its either going to process or not. If it gets processed I'm headed to Toronto. If it doesn't, and I get a denial, I'll probably be headed to Nashville come 2014.

This idea that someone is a troll just because they don't live somewhere is a joke. I wouldn't be here if I didn't have a connection to the city.

I haven't seen many news clips, but did the MTA and Metro get funding for the project yet from the feds? What is that situation?

I don't think anything has been set in stone, and I have not seen any news of funding (of course, with Congress & this administration playing budget hot potato, who knows how long funding projects could take)...but everything I've heard seems to suggest we're close. I would venture that we'll get a finalized plan and start date by the end of the year.

Nothing spectacular like some of us would like to see.  Nonetheless small steps in the right direction.  I wonder if there is any attempt to connect this to the airport?

Second BRT lite service begins April 1 on Murfreesboro Pike

60-foot hybrid buses will operate every 15 minutes on weekdays

Traveling down Murfreesboro Pike on a Nashville MTA bus just got faster with fewer stops.

Effective Monday, April 1, the MTA will implement its second Bus Rapid Transit lite (BRT lite) service.  This new BRT lite service will operate along the Murfreesboro Pike corridor from Music City Central to the Hickory Hollow area.

Passengers will experience fewer stops, more frequent buses and a greener attitude as they travel along one of Nashville’s busiest corridors on 60-foot, articulated, fuel-efficient hybrid buses.  BRT lite creates a more convenient commute between downtown and southeast Nashville. The intersections along Murfreesboro Pike will have Green Light Extenders installed that allow the traffic signals to stay green longer as a bus approaches. This will help buses travel even more quickly down Murfreesboro Pike.

“After a very successful pilot of this rapid transit service on Gallatin Pike, we are now able to expand the service to another busy corridor in our city,” MTA Board Chair Thomas F. “Freddie” O’Connell said.  “Passengers will ride in comfort as they experience this service without having to worry about driving and parking.”

The 16 stops along the route have been placed approximately three-quarters of a mile apart. BRT lite buses will operate every 15 minutes until 6:15 p.m. on weekdays and every 30 minutes after 6:15 p.m. Saturday buses will run every 30 minutes. These buses will stop only at BRT lite designated stops.  Click here to access the schedule.

To learn more about BRT lite stops, schedules and ticketing, go to nashvillemta.org, call Customer Care at (615) 862-5950 or visit the Ticketing and Information Center at Music City Central.

8600966999_9f72b8b50d_b.jpg
  • Like 1

Huge ridership, bringing thousands of folks to Nashville:

"Low-cost bus operator Megabus has cancelled service between Nashville, Knoxville and Memphis.

Megabus director Bryony Chamberlain said the service was cancelled because of lack of ridership. She said a “handful” of customers were refunded for reservations made in advance."

It seems that at a minimum, that the stop at Donelson and Murfreesboro could have a connection to the airport's park-and-ride shuttles to get to the airport. 

In related news, the Elm Hill Pike/Airport Express route has also been updated/extended.  That is a pretty good option to get from the airport to downtown or vice versa.  But when I have taken it, the bus has been almost totally empty.  The express routes go from downtown down I-40 to the airport and are pretty convenient.  The local routes are much more pokely because they go by the Airport Mariott (makes sense) and have somewhat bizarre stops in the middle of those Massman Drive industrial parks (makes less sense).

Nothing spectacular like some of us would like to see.  Nonetheless small steps in the right direction.  I wonder if there is any attempt to connect this to the airport?

• Like 1

Huge ridership, bringing thousands of folks to Nashville:

"Low-cost bus operator Megabus has cancelled service between Nashville, Knoxville and Memphis.

Megabus director Bryony Chamberlain said the service was cancelled because of lack of ridership. She said a “handful” of customers were refunded for reservations made in advance."

just stating the obvious

Looks like BRT may be further delayed by litigation...

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130405/NEWS02/304050123/1972/NEWS02

In reality, we need multiple lines of BRT...but we need a starting point. If we're going to quibble over who gets it first, we're going nowhere. The West End line is needed. But let's just go ahead and put solid plans in for other lines, like Charlotte or Rosa Parks as well as others. If this was a one and done deal (the only line being installed), I could see the frustration. But as it is, I think it's counterproductive.
  • Like 2

In reality, we need multiple lines of BRT...but we need a starting point. If we're going to quibble over who gets it first, we're going nowhere. The West End line is needed. But let's just go ahead and put solid plans in for other lines, like Charlotte or Rosa Parks as well as others. If this was a one and done deal (the only line being installed), I could see the frustration. But as it is, I think it's counterproductive.

Agreed.  Clearly, the East-West route is needed more because it encompasses the most heavily travelled sections of Nashville.  I don't understand the objections?  Aren't there plans to make a North-South route as well?  I mean, if there weren't, there wouldn't be a need to label the first line the "East-West Route" would there?

• Like 1

Nashville should have kept and maintained it's streetcar lines. All this struggling/bickering over BRT seems silly when the city has already had such a fine-grained streetcar system.  West End especially [and the rest of the city] would be a different place if these lines still existed. 

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/txu-oclc-6445490-electric_railway-nashville-1913.jpg

• Like 2