The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

Nashville should have kept and maintained it's streetcar lines. All this struggling/bickering over BRT seems silly when the city has already had such a fine-grained streetcar system.  West End especially [and the rest of the city] would be a different place if these lines still existed. 

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/txu-oclc-6445490-electric_railway-nashville-1913.jpg

That would have been nice!

Interesting that the map from 1913 still shows named N/S streets (Front, Cherry, ect) when they were numbered in 1904.  I'm sure it took some adjustments on the part of the citizens at the time!

From Metro Archives:  1904 - Street Name Changes - In 1904 the name of the streets running north and south from the square and beyond, were changed to numbers as follows: Front Street became 1st Avenue; Market became 2nd; College became 3rd; Cherry became 4th; Summer became 5th; High became 6th; Vine became 7th; and Spruce Street became 8th Avenue.

Still a shame that all those lines were ripped up...

Btw, here's a link to their recently released "phase 2; Preliminary Design" study.

http://www.nashvillemta.org/pdf/fn23.pdf

Interesting traffic engineering analysis on page 6; (paraphrasing) 'The roadway is currently failing from a traffic level of service standpoint, so take away one lane in each direction for cars and all will be better.'

Also, there is no such thing as a level of service (LOS) F in the Traffic Engineering world. There is only A,B,C,D and failure.

Rolls eyes.

Edited by PHofKS

that is the exact same logic being used in Knoxville right now.  they are reducing cumberland ave. the UT strip, from 2 lanes in each direction to 1 lane in each direction with a center turn lane, they say the current 2 inner lanes are basically turn lanes anyway and the outside lanes are the only ones with through traffic. they say it will increase traffic flow and reduce accidents.

Well, the title is certainly appropriate.

I do think that adding public transit options should take priority over road widening...but the red headed step child known as 440 needs some major re-working. It would be nice to think that a few major public transit projects would reduce the need for roads to be widened, but the fact is that as we continue to grow as a city, more and more cars will be added to the highway system -- even if it is a lower percentage due to increased transit options.

Personally, I find it pretty silly that we continue to widen the interstates to 4 lanes 20-30 miles from town, and even build fancy flying ramps to direct traffic down Briley and Ellington, but the best we can do downtown is paint the bridges, and the best we can do to 440 is add an eastbound lane.

I don't want Atlanta-sized interstates cutting through town...don't get me wrong. But there are plenty of bottlenecks that continue to choke traffic...but the focus remains looking out, not in. I would like to see the interstates in the core widened slightly (3 lanes to 4 throughout, longer merge lanes) and some of the exits and ramps simplified. 440 needs to be 3 lanes throughout with a 4th lane that serves as a exit/merge lane.

Slight tangent - I'm curious about the rationale behind the schedules for many of the commuter routes out of Nashville. I'm thinking particularly of the new Clarksville 94X route, since I have designs on moving there someday and commuting to work. But the last afternoon bus out of Nashville leaves at 4:50 PM. I understand that there are state workers who leave work at 4 or earlier (who? why?) and indeed I've seen some full 94X buses... but why no love for the people who have a more typical work schedule?

• Like 1