The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

That is good news. It seems, from the Sat. a.m. Tennessean, that the money won't come until early summer, but Bank of America was encouraging about a loan. Can't blame them, this project is not going to be a money maker, aren't in business to lose money, but the vote of confidence from the government will help them decided to loan or not.

Going forward, I certainly hope this experiment will provide positive results for getting the projects going along other lines. It's still up in the air, but I'd sure like to see this one succeed in the face of many doubters. This is a tough one to predict; it could go either way in our little car-centric society.

Good news. I would think the Mufreesboro line would have the potential to be the best line if and when the entire system got up and running.

Without a doubt, the Murfreesboro line is the real plumb for the Metro Star. I'm so glad that the Lebanon leg got funded. Let's keep our fingers crossed that it will be successful. If it is, the Murfreesboro Line will get built. Because of the low up front cost for this project, I'm cautiously optimistic.

^ Money. The city and state was able to get the Lebanon track secured easily and cheaply, while I believe the other lines will take more significant work and money to secure. So basically they chose the Lebanon line to start with because it was extremely cheap to start up and fairly good indicator of how well the line might due ot commuting patterns out of Wilson County. The M-boro line would have been a more desirable line for an indicator line probably, but it would have been much more significant investment to start the project off with. Thats my understanding of why the system is starting off like it is. The lines running west probably had the weakest communting patterns, thus they are on the back burner, or that would be my assumption.

• 2 weeks later...

What do people do when they arrive in downtown? How do they get to their jobs from the train station? Bus?

Umm...walk? I'm not too familiar with downtown Nashville, but it is small compared to cities like New York and Chicago. If the system is built right, they will have enough stops in the downtown area for most people to walk to their jobs. I work in Philly, and no matter where you work in downtown Philly you can get there using the regional rail lines and your own two feet.

Umm...walk? I'm not too familiar with downtown Nashville, but it is small compared to cities like New York and Chicago. If the system is built right, they will have enough stops in the downtown area for most people to walk to their jobs. I work in Philly, and no matter where you work in downtown Philly you can get there using the regional rail lines and your own two feet.

Umm, not all the jobs are downtown. You can't walk from the downtown trainstation to say, somewhere out Murfreesboro road, Trinity Lane, or Hermitage Ave. My point was about the infrastructure. Will there be sufficient and efficient ways to get people around once they arrive downtown?

Umm, not all the jobs are downtown. You can't walk from the downtown trainstation to say, somewhere out Murfreesboro road, Trinity Lane, or Hermitage Ave. My point was about the infrastructure. Will there be sufficient and efficient ways to get people around once they arrive downtown?

I agree. Hopefully the powers that be have thought enough ahead to add a shuttle to the proposed downtown bus transit station or at least have a shuttle system for the people working downtown like the one they use from the stadium lot to town. I would bet the train station will be an added stop.

Hopefully the same would go for the new staions along the route. If they have a train station and no bus service to or from them it would be a bad move and would not be a way to encourage usage.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. Hopefully the powers that be have thought enough ahead to add a shuttle to the proposed downtown bus transit station or at least have a shuttle system for the people working downtown like the one they use from the stadium lot to town. I would bet the train station will be an added stop.

Hopefully the same would go for the new staions along the route. If they have a train station and no bus service to or from them it would be a bad move and would not be a way to encourage usage.

I'm just comparing to my own personal experience in Philly. Septa's Regional Rail has only three "downtown" stations (Market East, Suburban, and 30th Street), and I would say probably 95% of people who take the train into Philly can just walk to wherever they are going. Of course, Philly does has decent bus and subway coverage, plus cab service, so I suppose one could make use of that to shorten the trip. I don't know how downtown Nashville compares, but I would think that if the downtown train stations are strategically located, then that would minimize the need for additional bus service. Doesn't Nashville already have bus service anyway?

• 3 weeks later...

Not yet, but yesterday, I noticed the cedar beams and other components were onsite...and that was new. It looks like most the infrastructure is nearly complete and they're ready to start on the builidng now. I want to get some shots of the process. For a simple structure, I think it's going to be a fine looking building.

just dave, i would love it if you did. if you noticed this is my first post! excited! (i dont know how to do those happy faces yet)ive been here a little while, just never had anything meaningfull to say. i live in the stupid suburbs without a stupid car, but im very interested in the city, and the rail line, but cant get in town enough to fill my curiosity with what is going on with the station. help!!!

just dave, i would love it if you did. if you noticed this is my first post! excited! (i dont know how to do those happy faces yet)ive been here a little while, just never had anything meaningfull to say. i live in the stupid suburbs without a stupid car, but im very interested in the city, and the rail line, but cant get in town enough to fill my curiosity with what is going on with the station. help!!!

Will, welcome. I am headed downtown today and I will get you a pic of the progress. It would be mine and Dave's pleasure.

i dont know how to do those happy faces yet

Welcome to the forum Will.

I know you have to have a minimum number of poet to get the smilies but it is not many. Look at the board rules and standards to get the answer.

Looking forward to meeting all the new blood on the board. Its great to get more input.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I was thinking about what the city could do to stimulate the use of the commuter rail.. and I remembered that when I was visiting Brasil (and I know this to be the case in Japan as well), I went to my uncles job and found out that over there the employers actually give all their employees transportation vouchers. These are "benefits", as well as are the meal vouchers (for lunch everyday). EVERY single employer in Brazil is OBLIGATED to provide transportation vouchers (even if the person owns a car). The state makes them available at a discount, and it ends up being very affordable for the company. This is also done in Japan. What this does is help keep cars of the road (to a certain extent... the roads are still packed). Now I know we can't FORCE companies to do this in Nashville, but I'm wondering if maybe Nasvhille could offer TaxBreaks to all companies that offered commuter rail vouchers to their employees. This way we would get people on the trains. Out of their cars.. and hopefully convert them to the benefits of public transportation. What do you guys think? Would this be a viable and interesting route in establishing a strong presence for commuter rail in Nashville?!?!?

Hey guys,

I was thinking about what the city could do to stimulate the use of the commuter rail.. and I remembered that when I was visiting Brasil (and I know this to be the case in Japan as well), I went to my uncles job and found out that over there the employers actually give all their employees transportation vouchers. These are "benefits", as well as are the meal vouchers (for lunch everyday). EVERY single employer in Brazil is OBLIGATED to provide transportation vouchers (even if the person owns a car). The state makes them available at a discount, and it ends up being very affordable for the company. This is also done in Japan. What this does is help keep cars of the road (to a certain extent... the roads are still packed). Now I know we can't FORCE companies to do this in Nashville, but I'm wondering if maybe Nasvhille could offer TaxBreaks to all companies that offered commuter rail vouchers to their employees. This way we would get people on the trains. Out of their cars.. and hopefully convert them to the benefits of public transportation. What do you guys think? Would this be a viable and interesting route in establishing a strong presence for commuter rail in Nashville?!?!?

I like your thinking but the only problem is that there isn't an extensive enough network in nashville for that to become an option. If you live in green hills and work in d-town Nashville, what would you do if your employer offered you a train coupon?

They could offer a bus coupon. I like the idea. I read an article on this site, on the main page, about the federal government subsidizing the expense of owning and maintaining a car for individuals. I think this is along the same lines and could really enhance people's ability to get to work and even offer them more options in where they work.