The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

Lee Beaman apparently is not impressed at all with Karl Dean's compromise to take the dedicated lanes off 440 to St. Thomas and in front of his property. He doesn't want dedicated lanes anywhere.

When was Lee Beaman elected mayor? The latest proposal is a fantastic compromise. Even Beth Harwell said so. 

Why should anyone give a flying f*ck what he thinks? 

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3

All Lee Beaman cares about is Lee Beaman. He has never had any real interest in Nashville. If so, he would have run for office and maybe made a difference in the Metro Council. Since the State Legislature is mostly Republican, and he is a big Republican donor, and Republicans buy his cars, he will get whatever he wants. Lee Beaman has more influence on this city than any other private citizen.

{cough} {cough}... maybe, just maybe you will acknowledge that a person does not have to agree with you and can still care about their hometown ... 

Lee Beaman is the immediate past chairman of the Nashville Symphony. He also currently serves on the board of Montgomery Bell Academy, Belmont University, Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital, Nashville Area Red Cross, Cheekwood Botanical Garden & Museum of Art, the Salvation Army, and the Boy Scouts of America-Middle Tennessee Council.

Beaman is a former member of the U.S. Civil Rights Commission State Advisory Council, the Muscular Dystrophy Association, and the American Heart Association. His awards for business and community leadership include the Junior Achievement Free Enterprise Award, the National and Tennessee American Business Ethics Award, the Top 20 Employers in Tennessee, the Better Business Bureau Ambassador of the Year, and the Nashville Rotary Club Distinguished Service Certification.

{cough} {cough}... maybe, just maybe you will acknowledge that a person does not have to agree with you and can still care about their hometown ... 

Lee Beaman is the immediate past chairman of the Nashville Symphony. He also currently serves on the board of Montgomery Bell Academy, Belmont University, Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital, Nashville Area Red Cross, Cheekwood Botanical Garden & Museum of Art, the Salvation Army, and the Boy Scouts of America-Middle Tennessee Council.

Beaman is a former member of the U.S. Civil Rights Commission State Advisory Council, the Muscular Dystrophy Association, and the American Heart Association. His awards for business and community leadership include the Junior Achievement Free Enterprise Award, the National and Tennessee American Business Ethics Award, the Top 20 Employers in Tennessee, the Better Business Bureau Ambassador of the Year, and the Nashville Rotary Club Distinguished Service Certification.

That is fine, but he is still serving his best interest by stopping the AMP. He has not given one true alternative accept to say NO! Gee, I think there is another Democrat like Dean that always gets NO! from Beaman's political party...now who could that be?

Edited by Urban Architecture

... well, I am not sure how it is in his best interest? cars? I think he will sell plenty of cars regardless of AMP. 

I am pretty sure you are just being sarcastic but in my mind the ®s have compromised with Dear Leader far too often... not top get off on a tangent.

A friend of mine, during a conversation about the AMP the other day, asked why we just don't build a subway underneath West End instead. I pointed out that it would be far too expensive, but left wondering how expensive it would be. Found a couple articles that are interesting:

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/commute/2011/11/1-billion-doesnt-buy-much-transit-infrastructure-anymore/456/

http://pedestrianobservations.wordpress.com/2013/06/03/comparative-subway-construction-costs-revised/

Given that the limestone geology of Nashville would likely make construction more expensive, let's say $300m/mile+, the same route for the AMP would cost $2.13Billion. You could build out an entire city-wide BRT network for the same price.

• Like 1

I have no doubt that Lee Beaman cares about Nashville.  He has undeniably made his mark as a businessman and an effective local leader.

That said, while it's unfair to say the Beaman doesn't care about his hometown, it's at least equally unfair not to question the motives of a car dealer taking great measures to undermine improved public transit options.  He is literally putting up signs of a big evil red buses all over town. 

It's because Beaman is such a successful businessman and because his conflict of interest is so blatant that he should have no part in the AMP committee.  Most if not everyone else on the committee will be drivers and owners of cars, so the perspectives of people who use the road will be more than available.  What purpose is served by including the perspective of the car salesman, the one who stands to lose the most as a result of fewer lanes and better car alternatives?  Transit competition is good for us (everyone who doesn't sell cars) and bad for him.  His opinion on this matter would be taken with a grain of salt if he weren't backing it up with cold, hard cash. 

... well, I am not sure how it is in his best interest? cars? I think he will sell plenty of cars regardless of AMP. 

I am pretty sure you are just being sarcastic but in my mind the ®s have compromised with Dear Leader far too often... not top get off on a tangent.

Yes, I am being a bit sardonic here......

A friend of mine, during a conversation about the AMP the other day, asked why we just don't build a subway underneath West End instead. I pointed out that it would be far too expensive, but left wondering how expensive it would be. Found a couple articles that are interesting:

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/commute/2011/11/1-billion-doesnt-buy-much-transit-infrastructure-anymore/456/

http://pedestrianobservations.wordpress.com/2013/06/03/comparative-subway-construction-costs-revised/

Given that the limestone geology of Nashville would likely make construction more expensive, let's say $300m/mile+, the same route for the AMP would cost $2.13Billion. You could build out an entire city-wide BRT network for the same price.

That was proposed back in 1975, and expense was the reason why it failed. Tunneling through so much rock was the issue, although Manhattan is on rock. Our ridership would not justify the cost and Nashville's population in 1975 was around 450,000.

I have no doubt that Lee Beaman cares about Nashville.  He has undeniably made his mark as a businessman and an effective local leader.

That said, while it's unfair to say the Beaman doesn't care about his hometown, it's at least equally unfair not to question the motives of a car dealer taking great measures to undermine improved public transit options.  He is literally putting up signs of a big evil red buses all over town. 

It's because Beaman is such a successful businessman and because his conflict of interest is so blatant that he should have no part in the AMP committee.  Most if not everyone else on the committee will be drivers and owners of cars, so the perspectives of people who use the road will be more than available.  What purpose is served by including the perspective of the car salesman, the one who stands to lose the most as a result of fewer lanes and better car alternatives?  Transit competition is good for us (everyone who doesn't sell cars) and bad for him.  His opinion on this matter would be taken with a grain of salt if he weren't backing it up with cold, hard cash. 

I am sure he does care about Nashville. I was trying to point out he may have other motives. Will he seek a Mayoral run? The Governorship? This is political for him, and if the Stop AMP crowd is the majority, they are going to remember this if he runs for office, and I have heard he has considered elective office since he feels Dean has spent too much money on public projects he wanted privatized. The point is when something like the AMP is privatized, it gets too expensive for many to afford it.

But Yes, He has to sell cars and every rider of the AMP is probably not going to buy a car from him. And with his vocal opposition to the AMP, many on the left won't buy a car from him either.

Edited by Urban Architecture
  • Like 1

They "compromise" because they are in the minority in City politics. Why do you think they want the State to step in so badly....

• Like 1

They "compromise" because they are in the minority in City politics. Why do you think they want the State to step in so badly....

I think you missed the subtle switch to national politics... Dear Leader is Obama.

The (R )s are Congressional Republicans...

He has no need to run for office.... he already has influence on policy outcomes.

I am sure he does care about Nashville. I was trying to point out he may have other motives. Will he seek a Mayoral run? The Governorship? This is political for him, and if the Stop AMP crowd is the majority, they are going to remember this if he runs for office, and I have heard he has considered elective office since he feels Dean has spent too much money on public projects he wanted privatized. The point is when something like the AMP is privatized, it gets too expensive for many to afford it.

But Yes, He has to sell cars and every rider of the AMP is probably not going to buy a car from him. And with his vocal opposition to the AMP, many on the left won't buy a car from him either.

I think you missed the subtle switch to national politics... Dear Leader is Obama.

The (R )s are Congressional Republicans...

Wow, even more fascinating if you truly believe any of the Congressional or Senate Republicans have compromised with this administration at the National level. Well of course except Mitch, he loves him some Obama.... 

Sorry to inform any of you that were as hopeful as I was 5 years ago about mass transit in the city of Nashville but, by the end of the day the chances are almost zero. Word is that all the city mayors,TDOT,the governor, the chamber of commerce both city and state, and even Beth Harwell (even though she drafted the damn thing but now regrets it) can't convince the Republican state legislators to kill the bill before it goes to a floor vote next week. The influential power-brokers who run the place have basically paid for the vote. As we know the state senate doesn't have much love for Nashville. Oh well, even without an opportunity for mass transit I had rather live here in NASHVILLE!

sorry I did not know it was THAT long...

anyway just showing that indeed bills have been passed...some good...some horrible...

Edited by Guest

Time to give up.  BRT itself (as opposed to light rail) was already a questionable compromise, shared lanes at the curbside is a compromise too far.  At this point I'd prefer Nashville drop the idea of rapid transit and focus on developing its bus system, aiming as a goal at a system of frequent (like, 5 minute headways) shuttles to navigate the core and BRT lite on the arteries. Surely the haters won't object to that, especially if no state funds are involved.  If real rapid transit develops eventually, it may come first in the form of commuter rail for Republican voters in the suburbs.  

Depressing as it is to recognize it, we live in a society where a few oligarchs can dictate terms to the rest of us and they don't want cities to invest in amenities like rapid transit, which they see as benefiting "those people".  

• Like 1

The AMP route proposal already had dedicated lanes in some areas and shared lanes in others.  The portion of the AMP route going over the Woodland Street Bridge was shared lanes.  The dedicated lanes in East Nashville would not have started up again until after the AMP came over Woodland, made a left on 5th, and made a right onto Main Street.  Even then, the Main Street portion's dedicated lanes were planned to be on the sides, not the center.  And the turnaround area at the East Nashville Branch Library would be shared lanes.

It seems to me that the compromise to have shared lanes at Broadway/I-40 makes sense, as does the BRT lite on West End from I-440 to St. Thomas and will be similar to the compromise that was already reached long ago for the East Nashville leg of the route.

Edited by bwithers1

Mayor Dean announces members of Amp Advisory Committee

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/04/mayordean-announces-members-of-amp-advisory.html

According to the press release, Tennessee House Speaker Beth Harwell appointed two leaders of the StopAmp coalition to the body, attorney Dianne Neal and car dealer Lee Beaman.

I have no issue with these two being on the committee, since both have interest or will be affected by the proposed route, but I can see now that they are not going to compromise on anything. Then they will convince others are against it to not compromise as well. It will be a bloodbath in those meetings.

Edited by nashmoney
  • Like 1

Mayor Dean announces members of Amp Advisory Committee

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/04/mayordean-announces-members-of-amp-advisory.html

According to the press release, Tennessee House Speaker Beth Harwell appointed two leaders of the StopAmp coalition to the body, attorney Dianne Neal and car dealer Lee Beaman.

I have no issue with these two being on the committee, since both have interest or will be affected by the proposed route, but I can see now that they are not going to compromise on anything. Then they will convince others are against it to not compromise as well. It will be a bloodbath in those meetings.

Will be brutal for sure. I'm at least glad that Mr. B will have a place to vent his nonsense and receive a proper response instead of spewing falsities to the media and anyone else who will listen. Hopefully someone else in the group will push back just as hard.

• Like 2

Will be brutal for sure. I'm at least glad that Mr. B will have a place to vent his nonsense and receive a proper response instead of spewing falsities to the media and anyone else who will listen. Hopefully someone else in the group will push back just as hard.

Just to let you guys know,Chris Veit and Cliff Lippard are both UP posters and very well informed about the needs of the city.

• Like 2