Rural King

MSA South - Williamson & Rutherford Counties

890 posts in this topic

Welcome to the new Franklin / Williamson County Urban Discussion Thread! This thread is established as a location for the discussion of urban related topics for the City of Franklin and Williamson County.

New members are encouraged to join and participate in this thread in order to foster an increased interest and discussion of Franklin and Williamson County here on UP. The more members we have from and/or discussing Franklin and Williamson County will help enable UP to one day potentially establish a dedicated sub-forum. So participation on a regular basis is vital! :)

Enjoy!!!

Here is your first post guys. Work on Harlinsdale Farm Park is ready to start. This is great news for you guys down there. At least some of the land is not going to be developed. This is going to be a 200 acre park. A good investment for Franklin. Here is the article from the Tennessean:

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../802130316/1177

post #2. I will get the scoop on what's going on in the government board room discussions recently when I see my buddy this weekend. Last I heard the discussions recently were infastructure related such as new sewer systems etc. Franklin rd is set to be widened just past concord rd all the way to moors ln. I beleve it will be a 4 lane road. The city is also getting a new massive fire station that apparently caused commotion in the votes because it will be somewhat tall by franklins standards (5 stories I beleve) and will be pretty close to downtown.

As of two weeks ago the discussion was on how to make the downtown area more friendly to semi's so they can pass through. Some ideas were tossed around but I don't know what the verdict was. I'll get back to you this weekend with the latest.

P.S. The meetings I'm talking about are the government board meetings. All of the top dogs of franklin are there including the mayor so they're not BS meetings.

Did anyone see in the paper the thing on the redevelopment of City Hall? It's horrendous! It's a modernist monstrosity that's landed in our sweet, classicist town, and I think I'm going to die if Crosland wins the competition. I think that if it was approved it would kill DT Franklin. I wish I could post the photos, but the Tennessean only posted one of them on the website, and it was a good-looking one; not the picture of a big, glass beast lurking over the square.

Here is your first post guys. Work on Harlinsdale Farm Park is ready to start. This is great news for you guys down there. At least some of the land is not going to be developed. This is going to be a 200 acre park. A good investment for Franklin. Here is the article from the Tennessean:

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../802130316/1177

A 200 acre park for the city of Franklin. What a great asset that will be! Definitely good news for Franklin residents.

Our glass beast has been alone for over fifteen years. I'm sure if yours is built, other "big projects" will be to.

Anyone have a link to the story and/or renderings for the proposed new Franklin CityHall(Municipal Building?) that has been mentioned as controversial.

Anyone have a link to the story and/or renderings for the proposed new Franklin CityHall(Municipal Building?) that has been mentioned as controversial.

Would that be different from the Franklin Police HQ? I have seen links to that from the Tennessean website (Williamson Co. Section). Don't know if it is still posted. However, it's a large building of about 90K sq.ft. and has the classic mid-20th century municipal building look to it. All brick and 3 stories (I think). It looks urban.

^ Not sure. I was getting the impression that a new municipal building was in the works for city services, but perhaps their are seperate city hall, police, and fire projects in the works. Perhaps a local could clear that up for me.

I'll go dig around the Williamson County page on the Tennessean in the meantime and see if I can find any links.

I was (and I think RK, too) referring to the new City Hall proposals from Balfour Beatty and Crosland that were in the Sunday paper Sunday before last. The online Tennessean only has one picture and it looks fine... it leaves out the horrible ones.

Hey guys!!!!

Whats happening in Franklin and Williamson County. Sure is quiet.

Maybe some pictures will help.

Any takers :)

Not much, the BOMA is debating what to do about our water; some want to build another plant on the Harpeth, others realize that the Harpeth isn't a reliable source and want to go after other sources. There's also debate over what to do with Hillsboro Road (5 or 3 lanes, fully streetscaped or do it on the cheap, do it at all, etc.) and Shroer wants to reorganize the committees of the BOMA.

EDIT - A decision was reached over Hillsboro Road: http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...8/1164/COUNTY09

Looks like they at least, at first, decided that they want to do Hillsboro Road all the way

Edited by franktown

I noticed a lot of road work going on close to Del Rio pike right where the Kroger is. I did a 25 mile bike ride from there to Edwin Warner Park and back Good Friday. The traffic was pretty bad just in that area. Not really safe for bikers any more. The Del Rio area seems to have a few homes being built now too. Sort of ruining the area, IMO.

I noticed a lot of road work going on close to Del Rio pike right where the Kroger is. I did a 25 mile bike ride from there to Edwin Warner Park and back Good Friday. The traffic was pretty bad just in that area. Not really safe for bikers any more. The Del Rio area seems to have a few homes being built now too. Sort of ruining the area, IMO.

I did that bike ride back in the day, many times. Too much traffic, now!

That one little hill by Amy Grant's house is a killer.

I did that bike ride back in the day, many times. Too much traffic, now!

That one little hill by Amy Grant's house is a killer.

I paid for it the next day. I had not been on a bike for 6 months.

Does anyone know if there are plans in the Franklin area to have any more bike lanes or trails anywhere down there? This is another community that needs to start planning walkability and scenic bike routes now and not 20 years down the road.

Does anyone know if there are plans in the Franklin area to have any more bike lanes or trails anywhere down there? This is another community that needs to start planning walkability and scenic bike routes now and not 20 years down the road.

I've got land on Peytonsville Rd and bikers ride that road all the time. With new developments, including all of the huge development at the Goose Creek exit, I would imagine that the days of safe bike riding on that road will soon be gone.

Yes, they're part of our Streetscape program to be applied over the next ten years. Here's a map/study of where bike lanes are and where they will and should go:

http://www.franklin-gov.com/pdf/BPPU/Frank...11x17's.pdf

Also note that this map doesn't include sidewalks.... if you bike on those the map would have more. In all seriousness though, it isn't a bike-friendly place. Del Rio is too small for bikers to bike comfortably and it's a major pain for drivers to go around you all. The safe places, for the most part aren't scenic, so you all have troubles.

Edited by franktown

Looking forward to reading the link. It evidently is down at this time. It is good to know there is a plan to improve the situation.

Looks as if this is an excellent plan. I look for to seeing it completed.

A view of the Cool Springs 'skyline' from the new McEwen Interchange bridge.

coolsprings.jpg

Nice shot. Crazy how that all use to be farmland. Wish they would stack some of those buildings up. :)