Surrounding Counties - Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, Maury, etc.

Rural King

Do they still have the chant "Show us your Peay-ness!"?

The "SYP" phrase was actually copyrighted by APSU so that it could no longer be used.

"Let's Go Peay!" is the school's official cheer.

Versions over the years...

"The Fly is open, Let's Go Peay!"

"Around the Bowl and in the hole, Let's Go Peay!" <--The "bowl" term is in reference to the number of sinkholes on campus which have been filled in and are now being used as common areas. Referred to as "bowls."

I was a student there during the amazing 'Peaymania' year when Fly Williams (from Brooklyn, NY) and four other talented players took them deep into the NCAA tournament that year. Eddie Childress missed make-able a shot at the buzzer against Kentucky that, if made, would put us against Indiana to see who goes to the final four. We did finish the season ranked in the top 20 that year.

I was at the Kentucky game when the Austin Peay student section started to unroll a large banner. When it partially revealed the words, "The Fly is open...", a Kentucky fan near me said, "Oh no, they are not going to go there!" Yes sir, they went there, hence the legend was born.

Kentucky beat us in overtime. But, nevertheless, good times. Let's go Peay!

• Like 1

Ground is moving for Ovation in Cool Springs. And here we go!

I noticed the Ovation project yesterday. Apparently there was an old house on the property. It used to be in the middle of the woods, now you can see it since they cleared everything else. I'll try to take a photo later.

Edited by erdichia

• 3 weeks later...

More on the 'Ovation' development in Cool Springs (Franklin) from the Tennessean...

A high-end retailer and experienced-based entertainment venue are among prospects with which SouthStar LLC has letters of intent to occupy retail space at its Ovation mixed-use project in Cool Springs.

“It’s going to be a first-in-class, first-in-market type of development, a true lifestyles center,” said Glenn R. Wilson, the CEO of Franklin-based SouthStar. “It’s an urban development in a suburban market.”

ovation12.jpg

and....

A new rendering of the retail section of the Ovation mixed-used development in Cool Springs shows a planned theater and other shops. The project is planned to include 480,000 square feet of retail and commercial space, 950 residential units and 450 hotel rooms. A groundbreaking is planned Wednesday. “It’s going to be a first-in-class, first-in-market type of development,” said Glenn R. Wilson, CEO of Franklin-based SouthStar.

Image_11.jpg

When fully built, Wilson said, Ovation will offer a curated experience starting with when people arrive at the development planned at Carothers Parkway and Ewen Drive, which is expected to have a daytime population of 25,000
Edited by PHofKS
  • Like 1

Does anyone else sort of roll their eyes when they hear about another "lifestyle center"? It seems there have been hundreds of these proposed, but invariably they end up as nothing more than a vacant office park after 5:00 PM and never come anywhere close to the live-work-play vision they all initially carry.

Ovation looks great, but I've learned to be skeptical about the ambitions of such a development. It seems like in order for this idea to reliably succeed, it has to be in much closer proximity to an existing urban environment (HCA / Capitol View, for instance), otherwise the momentum lags remarkably quickly.

• Like 1

Does anyone else sort of roll their eyes when they hear about another "lifestyle center"? It seems there have been hundreds of these proposed, but invariably they end up as nothing more than a vacant office park after 5:00 PM and never come anywhere close to the live-work-play vision they all initially carry.

Ovation looks great, but I've learned to be skeptical about the ambitions of such a development. It seems like in order for this idea to reliably succeed, it has to be in much closer proximity to an existing urban environment (HCA / Capitol View, for instance), otherwise the momentum lags remarkably quickly.

The difference is that most empty office parks are just that. Meridian in CS has activity well into the evening and it's only occupied by offices/hotel/retail. Ovation has enough money (corporate relocation TBA) and right ideas in place to work. However, I agree they used a cliche choice of words.

Mt. Juliet is moving right along with a new shopping center developed by Browning Development. The Shoppes of Providence Way will be 148,000 sq. ft. include retail, restaurants and a 100 room hotel adjacent to the center.

http://www.browningcompanies.com/images/properties/1345229734.pdf

The same company is developing a similar shopping center in Lavergne called the Shoppes at Stone Crest to be anchored by T.J. Maxx and likely a Hobby Lobby.

http://www.browningcompanies.com/images/properties/1392045493.pdf

• Like 1