Surrounding Counties - Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, Maury, etc.

Rural King

My wife and I have recently moved down to Cool Springs from Hendersonville. The drive was getting to be too much. 

Anywho.. I am going to try and take photos every couple weeks of the different developments. Here are a few.. 

e-n, I've seen your posts in other subs, and thanks for the photo exhibits.

As far as H'ville-to-Cool-Springs is concerned, I more-than fully empathize with you on that move, and it's fortunate that you had the resources to manage that kind of change.  Because you do have family, that makes it even more touchy of a burden to lift up and shift south, and when job or a corporate change gets interjected in the picture, you can't just pick up and go, just as I had been able to do for at least 10 times, as a single-, head-of-household back some 25-35 years ago.

Commuting that distance R-T daily, even as a single-person family, can get to become unbearable (preaching to the choir?), in a region with reportedly the 2nd worst urban sprawl for MSAs the size of Nashv'l and larger.  Of course, since we live in it, we don't have the options for transit and reverse-commuting as would be found in a number of older, larger areas, for that same distance and greater.   And those areas that do offer that, usually have an offsetting disadvantage of an overall higher cost of living, in exchange for a specific higher quality of living based on alternate mobility.  So for Nash'vl, that's just become de facto as a way of making a living, since the majority of us can't live within 10 miles of work.  One of the biggest things that haunt me is the thought of a career change, or even a workplace change, to one with a distant relocation, particularly one as drastic as yours.  There's not much out there can entice many of us (particularly couples) enough to make such a long driving commute, spanning 3 counties at that, alluring but so long, for the sake of sanity, so the need for such change management is circumstantial for most of us.

Best wishes for immediate peace of mind for you and your family, with that move to Franklin.  I guess gas costs a bit more there, than it does back in Sumner Co. (from my own observation), but with the overall drop, I’m sure the savings alone in the commute, along with spared time, makes you not miss but so much what you left behind.

-==-

I just saw this on historic Nashville Facebook. http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/williamson/brentwood/2015/01/14/brentwood-votes-home-development/21771317/

People are commenting without reading as usual. The developer wanted a zoning change that would actually require more free space and was pledging money to restore the historic house. Sounds like a dream developer. But people are praising that a development was stopped. I commented that development will happen no matter what. Might as well take agreeable terms.

I just saw this on historic Nashville Facebook. http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/williamson/brentwood/2015/01/14/brentwood-votes-home-development/21771317/

People are commenting without reading as usual. The developer wanted a zoning change that would actually require more free space and was pledging money to restore the historic house. Sounds like a dream developer. But people are praising that a development was stopped. I commented that development will happen no matter what. Might as well take agreeable terms.

It says dozens of people showed up to complain about the traffic implications.  Apparently that's all they think about here and that "thinking" never seems to make it so far as to ponder the possibilities of mass transit or the implications of the shortage of housing, esp. affordable housing, near all those (often low-paying) jobs in Cool Springs.  The general theory seems to be to move everything really far apart--if everyone's driving all the time, that should reduce traffic. 

• Like 1

Mt. Juliet moves forward with initial recommendation of a planned 360 unit apartment complex and commercial development along Lebanon Rd. Also reviewed were two new Starbucks locations, Moes Southwest Grill, and a Super Cuts. Starbucks will locate in a strip center in front of the Holiday Inn Express on Mt. Juliet Rd. The other Starbucks was deferred for further review, but if approved will locate in an abandoned building housing a former Dollar General heavily damaged by a tornado in 2013.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/wilson/mt-juliet/2015/01/16/apartments-recommended-north-mt-juliet/21867523/

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/wilson/mt-juliet/2015/01/14/sign-announces-new-starbucks-moes-mt-juliet/21763793/

wow, that is a major upgrade for columbia state from the summer I attended in 2001. 

I love that bridge, when I moved here in 92 my mom took 96 100 96 to 40 to take me to see my dad. so I got to see the bridge take shape ever other weekend when it was under construction.

I am scared to death to drive across it though.

wow, that is a major upgrade for columbia state from the summer I attended in 2001. 

I love that bridge, when I moved here in 92 my mom took 96 100 96 to 40 to take me to see my dad. so I got to see the bridge take shape ever other weekend when it was under construction.

I am scared to death to drive across it though.

Maybe you can pay someone to just drive you and your car across it, as they offer drive-over service on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (US-50, US-301) near Annapolis, which IMO is a scary-a$$ bridge, if I ever did go across one, especially before they finally built a twin.

But I have yet to have driven or ridden on the Natchez Trace Pkwy Bridge ─ just been too lazy to get out there and I've been back here since '92.

-==-

Edited by rookzie

Maybe you can pay someone to just drive you and your car across it, as tehy offer drive-over service on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (US-50, US-301) near Annapolis, which IMO is a scary-a$$ bridge, if I ever did go across one, especially before they finally built a twin.

But I have yet to have driven or ridden on the Natchez Trace Pkwy Bridge ─ just been to lazy to get out there and I've been back here since '92.

-==-

Yeah...that Chesapeake BB IS a pretty scary bridge to cross.  The few times I've driven across, I always feel better when I get to the other side!

• Like 1

Maybe you can pay someone to just drive you and your car across it, as they offer drive-over service on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (US-50, US-301) near Annapolis, which IMO is a scary-a$$ bridge, if I ever did go across one, especially before they finally built a twin.

But I have yet to have driven or ridden on the Natchez Trace Pkwy Bridge ─ just been too lazy to get out there and I've been back here since '92.

-==-

It's a pretty scary bike ride, too! Just...keep...eyes...looking...forward.

• Like 1

I absolutely detest saying this, but the city could take a note or two from Frisco and the western side of Plano, TX in terms of these large tracts for corporate relocations that are also live/work environments if this is what they're looking to achieve in the Gateway district. It's either go big and be bold or lose more to Williamson County, that's the bottom line.

Ground has broken on the state's first BJ's Brewhouse in Murfreesboro at The Avenue with a delivery of summer this year expected.

Is this next to Culvers at the Avenue?

Developer proposes "Fountains at Gateway" near the hospital.  

http://www.dnj.com/story/news/local/2015/01/20/developer-proposes-fountains-gateway/22081693/ 

I came on here to post this. lol

Great news!

• Like 1