Surrounding Counties - Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, Maury, etc.

Rural King

Here's the website for the Fountains at Gateway...

http://fountainsatgateway.com/

So much parking, but that's what the city wanted out there. 

A little architect's humor too.... "Sans Carne" (Without Meat) Steakhouse. So is this already underway?  Visible from I-24? 

No, way too far from the interstate, over a mile.

• Like 1

The amount of asphalt there is actually shocking to me.

Agreed.  This is sprawl at it's worst.  So much about this development irks me.  From the 'fake main street' theme to the fact that a beautiful pasture is being destroyed and replaced mostly with asphalt.  It's essentially a small office park with a few small shops, but you'd think it were a Six Flags Over Tennessee given the amount of asphalt surrounding it.  I mean, I realize this is suburban Murfreesboro and not downtown Nashville where density is a primary concern, and I'm not saying it needs to be as dense as possible.  But the sheer amount of land waste is just disgusting, and you'd still think the community would want to be a little more selective with what they're destroying their increasingly limited farmland and woodland areas for.  It's as if they aren't even trying to be creative and efficient with the usage of land.  'Plop the buildings in the middle and cover the rest of the plot up with asphalt, and we're done!'  Terrible.

• Like 1

Agreed.  This is sprawl at it's worst.  So much about this development irks me.  From the 'fake main street' theme to the fact that a beautiful pasture is being destroyed and replaced mostly with asphalt.  It's essentially a small office park with a few small shops, but you'd think it were a Six Flags Over Tennessee given the amount of asphalt surrounding it.  I mean, I realize this is suburban Murfreesboro and not downtown Nashville where density is a primary concern, and I'm not saying it needs to be as dense as possible.  But the sheer amount of land waste is just disgusting, and you'd still think the community would want to be a little more selective with what they're destroying their increasingly limited farmland and woodland areas for.  It's as if they aren't even trying to be creative and efficient with the usage of land.  'Plop the buildings in the middle and cover the rest of the plot up with asphalt, and we're done!'  Terrible.

Some state communities just appear to be on a roll with "reckless" abandon (sprawl), while others tend to quell it altogether.  For a town its size, and being its county seat, the 'Boro has a rather large and diverse employee base, and in addition to county govt. and the "magnet university" MTSU being major "native" employers, over the last 35 years it has managed to attract an unprecedented amount of external, high-count corporate activity, despite the fact that the Nissan assembly plant is located on the "Murf-burb" of Smyrna.  the presence of MTSU, State Farm, and Nissan had fueled much of the trend, which has ignited into

Smyrna itself, even Almaville (just outside Smyrna) is feeling the tendrils of what might appear to some as unchecked development.  Since the 'Boro has been snapping up all it can to add to its corporation limits, it has managed to spread like "The Blob" to the northwest of SR-840 to border and include some non-contiguous areas of Florence Road, making it virtually bordering Smyrna.  And as far as Smyrna itself is concerned, you've seen that Sam Ridley Pkwy has turned into another Old Fort Pkwy (of the 'Boro). Except for the height, they've been doing the same thing to nearby Thompson Ln and and what used to be Manson Pk a while back (with room to go).  Mem. Blvd. (N. US-231) on the NNE side of town has gotten no mercy as well, evolving from the earth as empty beer cans seem to create Kangaroo Markets. 

In short, the 'Boro has been the fastest growing "little-ish" city in the state, and with MTSU and diverse industry attracting residents from many former unlikely places (e.g. Maine, Idaho, and international), the city seems to be on a "mission" to do all it can do to commercially accommodate a growing tax base.  I, too, am not for this gobbling up of all that land for whatever a developer would arbitrarily choose to toss up, but that's how the 'Boro chooses to operate, since it does not have the established level of activism at large, as does Nashv'l (to a larger extent), with watchdog advocacy to oversee many of these kinds of things.

I'm not justifying that type of construction proposal, but IMHO I wouldn't put it past the 'Boro to immediately approve a done deal as the one on which you and I just recently posted comments ─ the one along the Nashv'l East Bank.  True, it's like comparing animals of different breeds, and the 'Boro does not have a critical need to concentrate on densification (not in that particular area), but I believe that the trend will remain rampant until local civic advocacy becomes an agenda.  I fully agree that they "...aren't even trying to be creative and efficient with the usage of land...", but this kind of development somewhat has been the norm for that NW sector between the train tracks and I-24.  As an aside, bear in mind that the more things that pop up around the 'Boro, especially along the north side of Old Fort, the more likely a focus will shift toward including augmented mass transit among the 'Boro, Smyrna, LaVergne and Nashv'l, which long has seemed as the most dense corridor in mid-state (or all-state, for w/r/t that matter).  Admittedly, that's not a reason to keep check on suburban sprawl, though.

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1

Fresh Market is the most likely candidate with Whole Foods a maybe and Trader Joe's doubtful, the latter preferring more urban, dense areas.

Im happy to see new stores come to town, but I really desire a Trader Joes! 

Id like a Whole Foods too but would strongly prefer a Trader Joes. 

It is a Fresh Market though. If you read the hints in the article (not saying you didnt) then Fresh Market is the only one that fits. 

I would also like to say that the new Starbucks on Memorial Blvd is progressing. Its across from Hastings. Seems to be a secret as I haven't seen it on the planning agenda nor have they installed any signs outside. 

BJ's Brewhouse at the avenue is coming along, too. I wonder if that whole space between Macaroni Grill and Culvers will be used or just half?