Surrounding Counties - Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, Maury, etc.

Rural King

Of course!  It's right next to the strip mall called The Olde English Village Shoppes at Quaint Heritage Country Acres Small Town Main Street Commons Park Plaza!

Correction, that should be Ye Olde English Village Shoppes at Quaint Heritage Country Acres Small Town Main Street Commons Park Plaza. :)

• Like 1

As much as we like to rag on Brentwood for their development strategy, I must say that they get exactly what they want from developers or the development is simply not approved. There is not any concern that the council and planning commission's rigid attitude towards development and design guidelines will turn away future developers--because it doesn't! There are more knocking on the door than ever before!

Perhaps Nashville could take a few pointers and bring a bit more of a hard-line attitude of it's own. There is simply no reason to bend to the will of developers as if we owe them something for their profiting off the backs of our infrastructure. There is so much money to be made in Nashville development these days that if a developer doesn't want to play ball there is no doubt another right behind them that would gladly take a swing.

It’s probably safe to believe that it’s beyond any point that Nashville could reverse its stance with property owners and giving liberal deference to developers’ rampant wants, without crippling reprisals, given the fact that so many owners would legal contend any attempts to change the rules in the middle of the game with submitted plans.  Developers also would contrive to lobby against such changes.  Let alone a rather questionable mechanism for defining and imposing historic preservation on property, as current owners of such properties would cry foul as well against any conditions which could restrict them from leveling any structure not concurrently protected by overlay (support of which in itself frequently has been difficult to garner).  Metro only seems to see a problem, when developers find loop-holes in current zoning policies, and then it seems to take an act of Congress just to patch the gap of unintended consequences.

Plus with Metro obviously attempting to rack up development, it’s like cranking the spillways wide open to flood the county with fish of all kinds and shapes into the pool, as long as they can “fit through the grates”.  That seems to be one reason that the mayor, with the support of Davidson County Sheriff Daron Hall, likely is pushing the divesting of the current CJC building, citing an intended-as-compelling rationale of the mechanical deterioration of the physical plant.  We’ve already seen a possible hidden agenda in reasoning to sell the existing site (maybe Grumpy’s Bonds could erect a new hot-pink tacky tower next to A.A. Birch).  So is a nearly 35-year lifecycle to become the norm for any set of CJC facilities, centralized or distributed, only to sell the property off to developers, because of higher land appraisals?  Then along those same lines, they might as well also be planning to do the same with the Juvenile Detention Center, mightn’t they?

In all I think that Metro is far beyond being able to change its perspective, given the current structure of the interrelated Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals, and the extensive city council.  No candidate wants to risk being a one-termer in the mayoral race, but even with a bold push to dramatically change the format of procedures for development approval, there’s not much she or he really can do, beyond perhaps being a proverbial figurehead.   I realize that with my post, I have just jumped headlong down into the den of pit bulls of this forum, now poised to attack my dare, so let ‘er rip.

-==-

Edited by rookzie

80M Harpeth Square development passed the Franklin Historic Zoning Commission tonight! The old Franklin families filled the room in support of said project. This was the make or break moment. Passed by one vote. Very happy to see this finally happening, it will add a more sophisticated vibe to the downtown.

• Like 4

The Post online shows a rendering of the Summit.... https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2015/5/12/gbt_releases_image_for_summit_brentwood

Summitt%20at%20Brentwood%20image.png

Pretty standard stuff. A slight curve here or there. Sheets of glass glass glass...but nothing daring.  Heaven forbid it goes taller than 10-11 stories!!

Edited by MLBrumby

I found the rendering last week and sent it to WW for the story. I was about to post but you beat me to it. The building will play large on the hill fr sure.

Do you know if that's the north side or south side of the hill?  Just Googled the site and it looks like there are already structures on the north side. 

Good Question! However, I was thinking it will still be higher up on the north side as there is no access from the south. Seems to me at one time there was a sign on the north side too, behind the Hyatt Place. They would have to chop part of the hill off, but talk about some fantastic views from there.... WOW

• Like 2

maybe change the thread name to "Franklin/ Williamson County/ and Brentwood.  that way projects like this that are completely brentwood but happen to be right across the line can still be in the brentwood thread

Yes, while Brentwood does lie to much lesser extent in Davidson than it does in Williamson, it seems to be an understood consensus that Brentwood tends to be more intuitively associated with Williamson Co.  It just seems rather "virtually" than officially identified with the "whole" of Brentwood concentrated in Wmson Co., even though the subjects of interest frequently have sat on the north (Davidson) side of the county line.

In assigning content to thread as volsfanwill suggests, all references to "Brentwood" become more browsable categorically, without the need of the U-P search engine, and without the need to recall alternatively a separate thread.  It simply lessens the chance of a particular project of interest to become obscured by mere technicality.

-==-

Well, if that is the case, should the opposite occur when a project is in the Williamson side. So you could put that in the S Nash. Thread.

If a project is in Davidson, it is not in Brentwood. There are actually areas that folks consider to be in Lavergne that could be in Davidson.

For lack of confusion, if a project is in Metro, then it is not in Brentood or Williamson County.

Sometimes the Brentwood police have a problem with that as I have seen the running radar in Davidso. That was several years ago, but I was a little miffed at that.

Well, if that is the case, should the opposite occur when a project is in the Williamson side. So you could put that in the S Nash. Thread.

If a project is in Davidson, it is not in Brentwood. There are actually areas that folks consider to be in Lavergne that could be in Davidson.

For lack of confusion, if a project is in Metro, then it is not in Brentood or Williamson County.

Sometimes the Brentwood police have a problem with that as I have seen the running radar in Davidso. That was several years ago, but I was a little miffed at that.

It only was meant to be a commentary on what others had brought up. I think that its all based on the initial decisions and choices of naming conventions as a whole to boot.   Indeed it clearly is impossible to "pigeon-hole" or narrowly categorize all subjects of posting interest to a classification system of online blogging.  That's what a trained librarian is still needed for, the task of which nearly always requires, not only a standard naming convention of subject categories and subcategories within a particular class system, but which also requires multiple "tags" of identity ─ meta-data as it's termed ─ to provide multiple "access points" for a reader to readily access these interests from multiple categories.  We know it formally as "indexing"

So in this setting, it won't be practical or even possible to avoid cross-posting of subject posts, because most of them could be applied to 2 or more threads. in real-time sharing.  There does exist "semantic" software which can index and generate links to topics and adhering to "controlled " subject vocabularies.  But you know?  This aint it.  We have to settle for a single topic for any one discussion, even though we all are guilty of "cross-talk".

(a 2-cent worth)

-==-

Edited by rookzie

Wow a curved glass building!! That is pretty crazy for Nashville standards. I guess that is why we don't see this going downtown. Downtown is no place for curves, box or bust. 

Side note: Just imagining the added congestion at this intersection now. Scary to think about.

Edited by bigeasy
  • Like 2

Wow a curved glass building!! That is pretty crazy for Nashville standards. I guess that is why we don't see this going downtown. Downtown is no place for curves, box or bust. 

Side note: Just imagining the added congestion at this intersection now. Scary to think about.

A few things I think they could do to vastly improve OHB east of I-65:

1) prohibit people that are exiting NB 65 to EB 254 from cutting across to Franklin Pike Circle (to enter the Target shopping center). There is a back entrance to Target next to the Four Points (Brentwood Commons Way). Put a Target (and other major tenants) sign at that intersection to let people know to enter there, instead. Also make the EB exit from 65 NB protected (merge the right lane of OHB over the bridge). Not a ton of people make a right turn on Stonebrook from OHB -- plus there is an opportunity to loop back up there from Oakes Dr.

2) Along with the above, change the signal timing at Franklin Pk Cir/Stonebrook Dr to make it a less attractive intersection to use. Because it is so active, it causes traffic to back up, making it extremely hard for merging traffic off of 65 (it backs up well onto the interstate). The number one goal in the afternoon should be moving traffic THROUGH that intersection. During other times of day, it's not such a big deal.

3) Extend the right lane (3rd lane) from Brentwood Commons Way to Cloverland Dr. Right now, those merging from 65 onto OHB have about a quarter mile to merge from the exit to where the 3rd lane ends (a right-turn-only lane at Brentwood Trace). When you factor in the active light at Stonebrook, then it really cuts that down to about 900 feet, which can be tough in heavy traffic. Not many people turn right into Brentwood Trace, so it's a safe bet that most people in that lane are trying to merge (which can lead to some stressful situations as time and distance are running out). Cloverland Dr, on the other hand, is where a lot of cars make a right turn. It is also a half mile past the current merge point, which would give plenty of time for cars to move left if needed (a total of 3/4 mile merge).

• Like 2

I'm not trying to be a negative Nancy but a million square feet of office space has no business being on that hill. Neither the terrain, location, nor access level warrant it.

A few things I think they could do to vastly improve OHB east of I-65:

I hate to say this, since it violates my crusade against traffic signals, but I think the I-65 NB off-ramp to EB Old Hickory needs the same treatment that the SB off-ramp to WB Old Hickory received a few years ago.

• Like 1