Surrounding Counties - Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, Maury, etc.

Rural King

New First Watch in Smyrna and luxury apartments in the Gateway district...

http://cl.exct.net/?qs=635c9876599e662f10a672728df739b271bb7aec89866094fd95a854517a8a9434b5cee11e51f176

Article seems more geared toward roadway/pedestrian improvements, but that alone would be a boost to the "circle-square" depot area.  Now, this, along with apartments, could become yet another transit-oriented district, if only the mid-state commissioners could muster and get some regional rail at the depot (and beyond to the 'boro).  It would make Hamilton Springs in Wilson Co. look like a miniature diorama.

-==-

First Look: Two Franklin Park - Pat Emery expects to start construction in November on another 10-story office building, further fueling the explosive growth going on in Cool Springs.

These new images with this story depict Two Franklin Park, designed to be a nearly identical bookend to Emery's One Franklin Park

Article: http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2015/07/first-look-patemery-breaking-ground-this-fall-on.html

northtwofranklinview02.jpg

Image 2

southtwofranklinview01.jpg

• Like 1

Love the outdoor amphitheater space...that won't ever get used. Those things never do.

Yeah really.  It's a nice idea, but who's going to want to take a twenty minute drive so they can come sit in the middle of an office park to see a concert?  I guess if the artist is a big enough name people will travel for them, but something tells me they're not going to be pulling Elton John or Stevie Wonder anytime soon.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

It's cute when Cool Springs try to act urban sometimes. So precious.

I'd much rather them act urban than act suburban. We love to give Cool Springs a hard time because of all of the office space they've taken, but if you look at Cool Springs now and Cool Springs 20 years ago, you can tell that Franklin is at least trying. That's much better than we can say about a lot of suburban communities around Nashville.

• Like 3

I'd much rather them act urban than act suburban. We love to give Cool Springs a hard time because of all of the office space they've taken, but if you look at Cool Springs now and Cool Springs 20 years ago, you can tell that Franklin is at least trying. That's much better than we can say about a lot of suburban communities around Nashville.

Well, I think the point is that we'd prefer it actually be urban than play pretend urban dress up.  I love old Franklin because it truly is an old school, walkable experience, but it only lasts for a few square blocks.  You are right though that aesthetically this is far better than what you'd find in, say, La Vergne or Dickson, so I suppose we should be appreciative of that.

• Like 1

You are right though that aesthetically this is far better than what you'd find in, say, La Vergne or Dickson, so I suppose we should be appreciative of that.

It's better because there's more money on the table. I'm not trashing La Vergne and half my family's from Dickson, but the companies setting up shop in those two communities, among others, and the ones setting up shop in north central Williamson are two very different types of companies.

I make this point just to say that some of the money spent on the window dressing could be redirected to more urban infrastructure. Emery's development above could be built on half the acreage, at more cost, of course, but still aesthetically pleasing and more functional, instead of items such as on-street parking a quarter-mile from the nearest building, or an amphitheater surrounded by empty land. It's one thing when businesses need one-story buildings in featureless suburban office parks for the reduced cost, and another when they build high-rises in private parks.

That being said, it's obviously what people want, given the explosive growth of the area, and I'm not going to try to tell them what to do with their property. I just have serious reservations about the long-term sustainability of that type of growth.

Love the haters. While working in Cool Springs we used the massive courtyard area a lot for company functions. With 5 10 story buildings there will be plenty of companies that could hold functions and musicians for small events. Hell, Nashville has one on the east bank and I haven't seen it used once.

Downtown Franklin has been greatly expanded up in the last decade in terms of walkability.  They repaved and recurbed the street and put in brand new side walks south from five points towards Bunganut Pig, that was probably 7 (?) years ago.  And then they got a bunch of Federal money after the flooding to do the same thing on 5th Ave N/Hillsboro Rd all the way up to the old La Hacienda (now Mickey Roos).

Hell, Nashville has one on the east bank and I haven't seen it used once.

It has most definitely been used  You just missed it because you were stuck in traffic on Mallory Lane.

Well, I think the point is that we'd prefer it actually be urban than play pretend urban dress up.  I love old Franklin because it truly is an old school, walkable experience, but it only lasts for a few square blocks.  You are right though that aesthetically this is far better than what you'd find in, say, La Vergne or Dickson, so I suppose we should be appreciative of that.

If it's what I'd prefer, then places like Franklin and Murfreesboro would be building midrise office buildings on vacant lots or surface parking in their downtown areas rather than building office parks. 

We can thumb our noses at places like Franklin playing "pretend urban dress up" all we want, but that doesn't do us any good. Franklin will always have a suburban feel. They don't want to be a big urban city. Whether that should preclude them from having millions of square feet of office space is another discussion altogether, and not one for this thread.

My point is that in the 20+ years that Cool Springs has existed, it has undergone a huge change in design and planning. While it may not be to the level of urbanity that us urban enthusiasts desire, it is no less a step in a positive direction. Better and more efficient land use is a great thing for our suburbs. And it shows they are adapting to the times.

I found the site plan for The Shoppes at Northgate, it's going to be huge with a very large storm water detention area between it and the back of Saddlebrook.

http://www.gbtrealty.com/uploads/project_54ab11ef501dc.pdf

Ugh, just what the 'boro needs: more suburban sprawl pushing out into the county.

Why don't developers just get over this junk?

Because it makes a good profit, plus the north side of town has been severely under-served by retail and food options for well over a decade now. This property has been inside city limits for over 20-25 years, so it's really just filling in the last remaining large agriculture tract that's surrounded by residential, athletic fields, & the airport. 

That's quite a bit of outparcel space so it'll be interesting to see what dining options pop up on this side of town, especially considering it's the wealthiest demographic sector of the city.

If the North side had an easier access to 840, that area would blow up exponentially.

That will change very soon with the Cherry Lane Extension, Sulphur Springs Road Improvements, and the long anticipated Thompson Lane and Jefferson Pike widening projects. Phase Two of Cherry Lane extension has begun and will be completed over the next two years, including a new interchange with SR 840 and intersection with Broad Street. Sulphur Springs and Hanes Drive will also be widened to three lanes each with improvements to the Sulphur Springs interchange with SR 840. Jefferson Pike and Thompson are still in the design phase, so those projects will likely be completed in the early 2020s. I admit that Thompson Lane should have been first considering the amount of development and traffic already present, but the same tune continues to play in Murfreesboro, develop, then build the infrastructure last.

• Like 1

Any Smyrna news?  Anything going on?

A large apartment complex, retail strip center, dentist office, and Tennessee Technology Center are under construction across from Nissan on the long vacant Smyrna Commons site. 

http://www.apartmentfinder.com/Tennessee/Smyrna-Apartments/Copperfield-Apartments?refer=FP42A

http://www.tcatmurfreesboro.edu/new-tcat-nissan-training-center-ground-breaking-ceremony

• Like 2