Surrounding Counties - Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, Maury, etc.

Rural King

• 3 weeks later...

Clarksville is the 10th fastest growing MSA in America for the past year according to the new census Bureau estimates. Clarksville grew by 2.6% to give it a total population of 268,548. The net growth of 6,789 ranks it slightly behind Knoxville (7,037), but ahead of Memphis (6,397) and well ahead of Chattanooga (4,214). Very impressive and revealing.

I wonder at what point would Clarksville be included in the Nashville CMSA? That would put the population at over 2,000,000.

Clarksville is the 10th fastest growing MSA in America for the past year according to the new census Bureau estimates. Clarksville grew by 2.6% to give it a total population of 268,548. The net growth of 6,789 ranks it slightly behind Knoxville (7,037), but ahead of Memphis (6,397) and well ahead of Chattanooga (4,214). Very impressive and revealing.

I wonder at what point would Clarksville be included in the Nashville CMSA? That would put the population at over 2,000,000.

I'm not sure if Clarksville and Nashville will ever be in the same MSA. Both cities have been hesitant to develop any ties with each other. Clarksville is not considered a commuter city to Nashville on the same lines as Murfreesboro, Hendersonville, Gallatin and Mt. Juliet. This is illustrated by the lack of development in between the two cities.

And, if Clarksville did become part of the Nashville MSA, you would have to take about 50-60,000 off of that total as Oak Grove/Hopkinsville, KY and Stewart County would probably not be included.

I am excited about the notion of a Publix finally coming to Clarksville, but don't believe that the old hospital is the best spot. I guess it can be seen as helping to lead the redevelopment of the Madison Street/Hilldale corridor, though.

I'm not sure if Clarksville and Nashville will ever be in the same MSA. Both cities have been hesitant to develop any ties with each other. Clarksville is not considered a commuter city to Nashville on the same lines as Murfreesboro, Hendersonville, Gallatin and Mt. Juliet. This is illustrated by the lack of development in between the two cities.

And, if Clarksville did become part of the Nashville MSA, you would have to take about 50-60,000 off of that total as Oak Grove/Hopkinsville, KY and Stewart County would probably not be included.

I am excited about the notion of a Publix finally coming to Clarksville, but don't believe that the old hospital is the best spot. I guess it can be seen as helping to lead the redevelopment of the Madison Street/Hilldale corridor, though.

...not only Publix, but SuperTarget and about 20 other shops I was told by someone close to Chamber of Commerce.

...not only Publix, but SuperTarget and about 20 other shops I was told by someone close to Chamber of Commerce.

I'm not disputing your claim but a Publix, Super Target, and 20 shops would be a tight fit on a 15 acre parcel. Maybe in some cities where density is more prevalent, but the Lowe's across the street is built on 18 acres and Sango Walmart on 24. It could happen, but it definitely wouldn't be the norm in Clarksville. Also would there be some kind of conflict because Publix is a grocery and Super Target comes equip with a grocery?

• 5 weeks later...

Flood update:

Rumors are starting to swirl about various Riverside Drive businesses. The Convergys call center has discussed relocating from the Two Rivers Mall area. There have been rumors that the entire mall may be demolished. Several others buildings have been discussed as candidates for demolition as well. A few other local businesses have relocated to vacant buildings around town. Hopefully, many of these businesses, which includes a mix of local stores and national chains, can get back on their feet quickly. And, as in the aftermath of the 1999 tornado, maybe the Riverside Drive area will come back better than ever because of this.

A good part of the marina and fairgrounds area is finally dry again and the contractors will have to survey the damage to the levees and see what the new timetable is for completion. My guess is that it will be well into next spring/summer. The timeline had already been pushed back to October before the flood occurred.

• 4 months later...

I also doubt Clarksville and Nashville will ever share statistical metropolitan areas. Clarksville seems to truly have its own identity, which is a fine thing. I've been in downtown Clarksville a few times the past few years (have relatives in the city). Given the historic downtown, a large university right in the heart of the action and a big river. Come on. This city is poised for big things this century.

Adding Clarksville to the Nashville MSA would require including Hopkinsville which would really be a stretch. And, yes, Clarksville is it's own City, but it is only 40 miles from Nashville. Although the commuting numbers don't stack up, Clarksvillians shop, dine, patronize museums and the arts and watch sports in Nashville. They watch Nashville TV and listen to Nashville radio. The two communities do act as one in that regard.

Maybe, Clarksville will be included in the CMSA someday, pushing the Nashville-Clarksville-Murfreesboro-Franklin CMSA over the two million mark.

• Like 1

I just don't want Nashville to eventually have a MSA (or even a CMSA) that comprises so many counties and communities that the total population figure distorts Nashville's true urban flavor, size and importance and, as such, gives citizens a false sense of self. In other words, if Nashville's MSA is 5 million but spread out over 20 counties, it's like...so what?

For this reason -- and because I want Clarksville to retain its own identity -- I hope the two never share MSAs.

Edited by East Side Urbanite

I agree about it not being appropriate to add Clarksville to the MSA. However, some acknowledgement regarding it's size, proximity and importance to Nashville would help to explain why Nashville seems bigger than seems just based on current MSA population projections.

I plan on starting a thread one of these days asking "How big is Nashville". By that, I mean why does Nashville seem bigger than it's population would suggest. I have been fortunate to travel around most of the country lately and one thing that strikes me is that Nashville has a big city vibe to it that it's so called sister cities of similiar MSA population don't have. I don't want to start a flame war, but I feel that that Nashville has a regional importance (and even a national and world influence) that lends to this impression. The 260,000+ in Clarksville, 100,000+ in the Bowling Green, Shelbyville and Tullahoma micropolitan areas and 500,000 +/- in Chattanooga and Northern Alabama all depend on Nashville as an economic, entertainment and distribution center and that lends to the impression that Nashville is a bigger city than population stats would suggest.

But, like I said, I will go into that in more detail later. This is not the thread for it.

I agree about it not being appropriate to add Clarksville to the MSA. However, some acknowledgement regarding it's size, proximity and importance to Nashville would help to explain why Nashville seems bigger than seems just based on current MSA population projections.

I plan on starting a thread one of these days asking "How big is Nashville". By that, I mean why does Nashville seem bigger than it's population would suggest. I have been fortunate to travel around most of the country lately and one thing that strikes me is that Nashville has a big city vibe to it that it's so called sister cities of similiar MSA population don't have. I don't want to start a flame war, but I feel that that Nashville has a regional importance (and even a national and world influence) that lends to this impression. The 260,000+ in Clarksville, 100,000+ in the Bowling Green, Shelbyville and Tullahoma micropolitan areas and 500,000 +/- in Chattanooga and Northern Alabama all depend on Nashville as an economic, entertainment and distribution center and that lends to the impression that Nashville is a bigger city than population stats would suggest.

But, like I said, I will go into that in more detail later. This is not the thread for it.

PHofKS,

I agree with your points. We all need to realize the significance Nashville has on its surrounding smaller cities and vice versa.

By the way, you are retired but making a positive contribution to your community be contributing to this forum. I commend you.

WW

• 1 month later...

It looks like consideration (whatever that means) was approved for a shot at a Spring Hill hospital again. This is an ER facility, but it seems like if this is approved it will open the door for the rest of a hospital. Vanderbilt and Williamson and Maury Regional centers are opposed to this.

$9M Spring Hill ER Proposal Approved

Centennial Medical Center Wants To Build New Facility

Edited by timmay143

• 1 month later...

It seems the building has really fallen off. Anyone have any news and/or rumors?

The economy really ate up all the really juicy deveopments that would have been amazing for Murfreesboro and Smyrna:

Murfreesboro:

Westlawn, Marymont Springs, The Avenue Phases 2&3 including the Mariott, Drury Inn, and Hyatt Place that backed out, Indigo Development, South Church Street development, Manson Pike Shopping bridge over broadstreet

Smyrna: Smyrna Commons, Colonial Promenade phases 2&3 including Marshall's, J.C.Penney, Belk, Best Buy, and other retail, Sam Ridley Parkway extension to Cool Springs connecting Nissan headquarters to Smyrna plants

Thompson lane seems to be weathering the storm with a new Walgreens, office buildings, Gateway Village as well as continued development along Medical Center Parkway. As for the other developments, we'll just have to wait and see.

• 4 weeks later...

While I agree that many Clarksvillians go to Nashville for better dining and shopping experiences, I still see a divide between the two cities that I don't see with Murfreesboro, Franklin, Gallatin, etc... I attribute much of this to the lack of development in the Joelton, Whites Creek and Pleasant View areas. There is really a significant development "gap" between leaving Clarksville and getting to Nashville. Therefore, it really seems like a totally separate city instead of a feeder community.

It's a shame too b/c many of the nicer areas of Clarksville have been developed on the southeast side, nearest to Nashville, for the reasons stated above.

While I agree that many Clarksvillians go to Nashville for better dining and shopping experiences, I still see a divide between the two cities that I don't see with Murfreesboro, Franklin, Gallatin, etc... I attribute much of this to the lack of development in the Joelton, Whites Creek and Pleasant View areas. There is really a significant development "gap" between leaving Clarksville and getting to Nashville. Therefore, it really seems like a totally separate city instead of a feeder community.

It's a shame too b/c many of the nicer areas of Clarksville have been developed on the southeast side, nearest to Nashville, for the reasons stated above.

Agreed. Does anyone know why this corridor is not as developed as the others in Nashville?? It would be nice if there was more of a connection here. Both cities would benefit due to this connection.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mars Petcare is planning on building their HQ's in Thompson Station in Williamson County. The HQ consist of a 500,000 sqft campus with at least 5 buildings on 54 acres of land off of Columbia Pike south of 840.

Currently they least two places in Williamson County of 142,000 sqft with 118,000 sqft in a Cool Springs Blvd office building owned by Duke Realty.

Could be a few years before building because they still have a few years left on the current lease.

http://www.bizjourna...tation-for.html

Edited by timmay143