Surrounding Counties - Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, Maury, etc.

Rural King

Only problem is that MJ does not have the social and economic clout of Franklin, nor the mediun income, or mediun home price, or the school system.

A long road to follow.

I think it's mainly political talk to get people on board with the project.

Mount Juliet isn't too bad off (from a whole metro perspective) in terms of income/home value/schools...but it obviously does not have the higher end level that Franklin has. But 20-25 years ago, Franklin didn't have that, either. I think MJ leaders realize that. In fact, I would say MJ today is probably as nice or nicer than Franklin was in 1990 (minus the boutique downtown).

However, what MJ does not have is an adjacent area of wealth like Brentwood to help develop its popularity. There are some nice areas on the south side of Old Hickory Lake, but nothing in terms of the scale or desirability that WC had even in 1990.

Where MJ has a leg up is that they have a lot of room to grow, and they can look to Franklin/Brentwood for some of the dos and don'ts. They also have access to the commuter rail line...something Franklin doesn't...and they can really use that as a marketing point for the GenY crowd if they pursue their "new downtown" and transit oriented development. There's a lot of land there...but unfortunately MJ has already made many of the poor land use choices that most of the suburbs have -- the damage just isn't as extensive at this point. If they wanted to, they have a better opportunity than most to be a "different" type of suburb than the others in the area. I guess I just don't see it happening. 

Will MJ be the next Cool Springs? Very unlikely. But they are in a battle with Sumner County (which is a little further along) in terms of battling for the secondary wealth in the area.

Only problem is that MJ does not have the social and economic clout of Franklin, nor the mediun income, or mediun home price, or the school system.

A long road to follow.

FYI: Wilson County has the 2nd highest Median Household Income in the region, after Williamson. I see the development going on out there as a sort of Sumner County 2.0.

That’s good to know. Franklin has a huge head start on Mt Juliet. Thanks for the correction and as you name
suggest help us out here about the demographics of the region. That is valuable information.

I just have my doubts but hope they get some good development there. My only issue from a
built environment point of view is that it will take more away from the Core/CBD as far as office space goes. The rest of the development that I would love to see take place there are large apartment and condo options that do not gobble
up huge tracts of land causing even more sprawl and tightly massed shopping options around those developments. Most of us here really want to see the large developments happen in the DT area but the limiting factor is the lack of mass
transit; and no one can blame themselves except the past 8 or so mayors even before Davidson went Metro.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Witcher painted a bleak picture of the future if the Streets proposal is approved.

“I’m just a guy. But I do live here and I do have some personal
experience with crime,” he said, sharing he grew up in the Nolensville
Road and Antioch area which he said used to be a nice area.

He claimed if apartments are built, over time “it will change the demographics in our community forever.”

Witcher said Brentwood’s high home prices form a barrier to crime
elements today. Homeowners have “skin in the game,” he said. “Renters
don’t have much skin in the game. … They get to use all of our
facilities just because they are renters.”

He said that even though the units are supposed to be real nice and
expensive, that will not keep crime from increasing. “Nothing could be
future from the truth,” he claimed. “We have something really special
here that we are real close to screwing it up.

“... I don’t want to see Brentwood turn into the Antioch of Williamson County,” Witcher concluded to applause.

Page Robble, an accountant, reviewed the city’s financial standing, which he described as financially strong.

“We have a unique thing here; I think we have a lot to be thankful
for,” he said.  “I think we’re all here because hopefully we’re all well
off and want to preserve that.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it's pretty clear that despite whatever else the opposition states, deep down, this is pretty much the crux of their argument against this development.  It may be stated in rather cowardly, coded language, but it's pretty clear that their opposition is basically nothing more than this: 'in our simplistic, black and white, suburban bubble view of the world, we think that density coupled with non-rich, and even, god forbid, non-white people, is a recipe for high crime, and I'm afraid of that.'

Honestly, everyone is intitled to their opinions, and should be free to give their input.  There are, no doubt, usually valid points to be made in opposition of any development, including this one.  But people like this, who's opposition is based almost solely in a completely irrational fear and bigotry based on their own skewed perception of the world and not fact should never, ever be taken seriously or given an equal place at the discussion table.  Really, they can be allowed to state their piece and feel like they're involved, but if their root of their opposition is nothing more than an irrational fear of the unknown, then screw them. 

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 2

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Witcher painted a bleak picture of the future if the Streets proposal is approved.

“I’m just a guy. But I do live here and I do have some personal

experience with crime,” he said, sharing he grew up in the Nolensville

Road and Antioch area which he said used to be a nice area.

He claimed if apartments are built, over time “it will change the demographics in our community forever.”

Witcher said Brentwood’s high home prices form a barrier to crime

elements today. Homeowners have “skin in the game,” he said. “Renters

don’t have much skin in the game. … They get to use all of our

facilities just because they are renters.”

He said that even though the units are supposed to be real nice and

expensive, that will not keep crime from increasing. “Nothing could be

future from the truth,” he claimed. “We have something really special

here that we are real close to screwing it up.

“... I don’t want to see Brentwood turn into the Antioch of Williamson County,” Witcher concluded to applause.

Page Robble, an accountant, reviewed the city’s financial standing, which he described as financially strong.

“We have a unique thing here; I think we have a lot to be thankful

for,” he said.  “I think we’re all here because hopefully we’re all well

off and want to preserve that.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it's pretty clear that despite whatever else the opposition states, deep down, this is pretty much the crux of their argument against this development.  It may be stated in rather cowardly, coded language, but it's pretty clear that their opposition is basically nothing more than this: 'in our simplistic, black and white, suburban bubble view of the world, we think that density coupled with non-rich, and even, god forbid, non-white people, is a recipe for high crime, and I'm afraid of that.'

Honestly, everyone is intitled to their opinions, and should be free to give their input.  There are, no doubt, usually valid points to be made in opposition of any development, including this one.  But people like this, who's opposition is based almost solely in a completely irrational fear and bigotry based on their own skewed perception of the world and not fact should never, ever be taken seriously or given an equal place at the discussion table.  Really, they can be allowed to state their piece and feel like they're involved, but if their root of their opposition is nothing more than an irrational fear of the unknown, then screw them.

I completely agree. I spit my coffee out when reading that section.

ZOMG APARTMENTS IS GUNNA TURNZ US INTO DA ANTIOCH OF WILLIAMZONS!!!1 CRIME! MINORITEES!!

I'm sorry, but GTFO. This guy perpetuates the stereotype of an insular wealthy suburbanite that rarely ventures outside of their bubble. I know Franklin has it's "rougher" areas, but look at what they are building. They have built thousands of higher density residential in the past decade. If I had been at the meeting, I would have asked the guy why he chose Antioch for comparison and not Franklin. Because using the "A" word in something like that is pandering and fearmongering.

The most valid opposition to this development is traffic and potential noise for the surrounding neighbors. More than anything, I get the traffic argument. Traffic sucks in Brentwood...but unless they make that a 17 acre park, traffic will suck with whatever is put there...and odds are the next proposal won't address it as well as this one (connecting two perpendicular side streets that already have traffic lights...allowing access around a major intersection).

The schools argument is weak. I think the 50 kid estimate is probably about right. While some people might use this as an inexpensive way to access the coveted Brentwood schools, I think it will primarily be an older empty nester crowd, mixed with younger childless couples and professionals looking to be closer to their work. Christ...it's not like this is going to be section 8, Brentwoodites.

Hopefully the city leaders don't cave to this sort of idiocy.

Hey...it's 17 acres. How bout we just put 17 McMansions on it!

I completely agree. I spit my coffee out when reading that section.

ZOMG APARTMENTS IS GUNNA TURNZ US INTO DA ANTIOCH OF WILLIAMZONS!!!1 CRIME! MINORITEES!!

I'm sorry, but GTFO. This guy perpetuates the stereotype of an insular wealthy suburbanite that rarely ventures outside of their bubble. I know Franklin has it's "rougher" areas, but look at what they are building. They have built thousands of higher density residential in the past decade. If I had been at the meeting, I would have asked the guy why he chose Antioch for comparison and not Franklin. Because using the "A" word in something like that is pandering and fearmongering.

The most valid opposition to this development is traffic and potential noise for the surrounding neighbors. More than anything, I get the traffic argument. Traffic sucks in Brentwood...but unless they make that a 17 acre park, traffic will suck with whatever is put there...and odds are the next proposal won't address it as well as this one (connecting two perpendicular side streets that already have traffic lights...allowing access around a major intersection).

The schools argument is weak. I think the 50 kid estimate is probably about right. While some people might use this as an inexpensive way to access the coveted Brentwood schools, I think it will primarily be an older empty nester crowd, mixed with younger childless couples and professionals looking to be closer to their work. Christ...it's not like this is going to be section 8, Brentwoodites.

Hopefully the city leaders don't cave to this sort of idiocy.

Hey...it's 17 acres. How bout we just put 17 McMansions on it!

LOL!  Well said.  I completely agree with everything you said.  I mean honestly, how out of touch with reality does one have to be in order to consider some luxury condominiums attatched to a movie theater in which you can order a glass of sauvignon blanc to be in the same category as government housing projects?  If these people prefer to live their entire lives hiding away behind the walls of their huge McMansions and the gates that surround them, then they're more than welcome to do that, but don't try to screw stuff up for the rest of us just because you get nervous everytime you see a black guy walking.

Sprawl, in general, gets on my nerves, but sprawl that is targeted at senior citizens?  That's a whole new level of stupid, in my opinion.  The last thing aging seniors need is to live in a place in which they are still entirely dependent on the automobile (which is more and more dangerous for them to operate with every passing day) and have to drive miles on end just to get a jug of milk or medicine. 

• Like 3

Sprawl, in general, gets on my nerves, but sprawl that is targeted at senior citizens?  That's a whole new level of stupid, in my opinion.  The last thing aging seniors need is to live in a place in which they are still entirely dependent on the automobile (which is more and more dangerous for them to operate with every passing day) and have to drive miles on end just to get a jug of milk or medicine. 

+100000000

I agree. As I move on into senior years, I keep looking around for an ideal community where I can have an affordable urban bungalow and use the sidewalks to go to the nearby restaurants, parks, grocery and drug stores. However, East Nashville is a little too pricey, and Franklin seems to discourage that kind of neighborhood development. Murfreesboro may be the most promising, but many of those neighborhoods seem a bit run down and unsafe.

We need to have more 'neighborhood' planning in all cities that encourages small minimal lot bungalows, sidewalks and designated lots for various retail.