Surrounding Counties - Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, Maury, etc.

Rural King

Looks like the NIMBY's are out in full force. I just don't understand.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/50766298/ns/local_news-nashville_tn/#.URh4GaXoRtY

I understand. Well, kind of. 

I understand how some of them might think that it will add to the traffic hell that is downtown Brentwood. And in all honesty, it's probably going to make things worse, at least until people figure out how to use the side streets.

Because of the poor planning throughout that whole area (as well as a few unique topographical challenges), traffic is a big issue, when really, for the amount of development there, it shouldn't be.

But the forces that created Brentwood are what led to such poor planning. This was primarily white flight development (originally), and the way they would insulate themselves from the nastiness of the city is creating a place with large houses on large lots. No apartments. No condos. No nice smaller houses.

So when Brentwood turned into a safe, prosperous upper class suburb, residents have begun to associate these qualities with what "is" Brentwood. They are very, very slow to change their minds about anything, because change could upset their delicate little world. Mind you, Brentwood was pretty close to Franklin in terms to population 25 years ago...developers wanted to build a mall in Brentwood. Brentwood turned their nose up to the idea. So they built in Franklin.

Same goes with this. "Streets of Brentwood" is something that Franklin would build. And I think some in Brentwood recognize that, and want it. But there is a determined, and loud, group in Brentwood that wants to maintain the status quo. This group might say things like they're not against development, but aside from a new 1 acre per house subdivision, they're probably going to oppose it. They're NIMBYs that don't want to see themselves as NIMBYs. I would love to see their ideas on what they consider "wise" development.

Does Cool Springs have any park space or protected land? I'm not trying to be condescending, I just really don't know. It seems (to an outsider) like all land is avaliable for development and nothing is off limits. Is there anything being set aside "for the people"? I just wonder if this is an oversight on the part of the leaders in the area. I wonder if it will ever get to a "oops, there is no land left" kind of situation.

And I don't really mean urban park space, but more along the lines of a natural preserve.

I live right down the road from the Carothers and McEwen intersection. There is a lot of land around here primed and ready for development. Personally, I welcome the development. But green space is plentiful in Franklin, if you know where to look for it.

There are acres of preserved battlefield south and east of the city, the Harlinsdale horse farm, the massive Crockett park and trail system in Brentwood, multiple parks with soccer and baseball fields, and so on. In the Cool Springs area we have Liberty Park and numerous pocket parks. And I always take the kids over to Trinity park to run around.

Everyone would argue that we would love to have more green space (including me). But if you live in the area, and you can't find some to enjoy, you're not looking hard enough.

That's really sad.  The idiots win again.  The opposition to Maytown I could at least kind of understand, seeing as how there really is no large scale development in that part of the county at all.  But this?  This wasn't about traffic or about protecting nature, because you know these same simpletons would have no objections to a typical sprawlly development in a sea of asphalt being built in the same place.  It's about the association they've made in minds between population density and people who aren't rich caucasians and crime.  Period. 

I really don't care that much since this is Williamson County and not Davidson, but in general it is frustrating to constantly witness ignorant people constantly hold others back from progress just because they have irrational fears they haven't yet dealt with. 

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 2

Hey guys! 

I'm new here, but I've been a lurker for a while now.. I also have an account on skyscraperpage where I post a lot, but there is a lot more activity and in-depth discussion on this site, so I decided to join. 

Now, onto the subject at hand, which is definitely horrible news. I'm actually currently a student living in Brentwood, and I have a personal connection to a certain Brentwood City commissioner, so its been a long process watching this one go through the planning stages. When first proposed, I was ecstatic for this project, as with Streets of Brentwood and Tapestry, it seemed that the town center development was finally beginning to take off. At first, it seemed that this would pass through the approval process with little to no problems, but as you could see, that proved to be far from the truth. 

This entire process has truly brought out the worst in Brentwood, mainly from the "Preserve Brentwood" group. They took many measures to ensure that they would do whatever it took to make sure this project would fail, including posting flyers around town comparing the square footage of the development to that of the Music City Center (which is completely ridiculous and off-base) and hosting rallies where they would claim that this project would make Brentwood "The New Antioch". It was actually a surprise when HG Hill said that they were pulling the project, because the commission was willing and eager to work with them in order to modify the plans so that they would take into account some suggestions from the citizens.

It really sucks that this project had to be cancelled, especially for those like me, who supported this project. I feel that if more Brentwood citizens were educated on all of the benefits of urban development rather than negative propaganda put out by a group that represents a very small portion of the population, projects like this would have much less trouble getting approved.

Edited by henburg

Welcome Henburg!  I find the name of the NIMBY group, kind of hilarious.  What, exactly, is there to "preserve" in a collection of disorganized, disconnected, randomly thrown together sub-divisions and strip malls and office parks that is barely forty years old?  These people can't tell me that there is anything about Brentwood that they identify with or take pride in other than the fact that it's affluent.  As Gertrude Stein would say, "there is no there there."

Welcome Henburg!  I find the name of the NIMBY group, kind of hilarious.  What, exactly, is there to "preserve" in a collection of disorganized, disconnected, randomly thrown together sub-divisions and strip malls and office parks that is barely forty years old?  These people can't tell me that there is anything about Brentwood that they identify with or take pride in other than the fact that it's affluent.  As Gertrude Stein would say, "there is no there there."

Haha, that was exactly my reaction when I first heard about the group, especially because the "Downtown" Brentwood area is currently mostly made up of rotting strip malls and gas stations.

Edited by henburg

Welcome to the forum henburg!!!! I hope to see you at some of the forum meets just so we can meet you in person.

I am dissapointed with the news about S of B. I guess they will build another office building at that location. Its not like they were going to have low income housing built with a strip club but I think you are right about the folks needing to be educated.

This entire process has truly brought out the worst in Brentwood, mainly from the "Preserve Brentwood" group. They took many measures to ensure that they would do whatever it took to make sure this project would fail, including posting flyers around town comparing the square footage of the development to that of the Music City Center (which is completely ridiculous and off-base) and hosting rallies where they would claim that this project would make Brentwood "The New Antioch". It was actually a surprise when HG Hill said that they were pulling the project, because the commission was willing and eager to work with them in order to modify the plans so that they would take into account some suggestions from the citizens.

Welcome to the forum!

I got the same feeling about the Preserve Brentwood group. While there might be some legitimate concerns, or even the desire to have a certain type of development in town (a position I disagree with, but respect), I had a real problem with their misinformation. Their goal wasn't to bring any honest sort of discussion about whether or not this would have a positive impact on Brentwood. They went straight to pandering by making the Antioch comparison (quite possibly the most laughably ridiculous comparison I've heard). They didn't want Brentwood residents to THINK about it, they wanted to make their decision for them.

Also, I had not heard about/seen the fliers you speak of. Did you happen to grab one? I'd love to see that...

And it's sad it got canceled. And as much as I want Brentwood to be "punished" somehow (say, having a really horribly designed building put in its place, or a strip mall, or something that turns out to be unprofitable and tanks)...I'm really holding out hope that the land, like several prime spots in Brentwood, just lays vacant for a while until they come to their senses.

Brentwood might reconsider when it gets to the point where Franklin has almost completely overshadowed them.

Well, they have some historic plantation houses (Isola Bella, Mountview, Twelve Oaks, etc)...but yeah, the city had 3,400 people in 1970. The only thing one could argue that they are "preserving" is the Cal Turner Jr. farm...but even Turner showed a desire to develop something above and beyond the mundane on that property...which was met with the usual resistance (it actually had plans for some smaller, more affordable houses so that service workers -- police, fire, teachers, etc could actually LIVE in the city).

When I told my dad about this news (and my dad is most certainly NOT some savvy urbanite -- but he knew about this project) that it had been canceled, he just laughed and said "what these people don't realize is that if you are always resisting change, you're going to go backwards, not forwards."

If you knew my dad, you'd probably better appreciate that comment. He doesn't really discriminate against either urban or suburban development -- as long as he can park his car and doesn't have to walk a mile to get there. Of course, I think he was looking forward to the CineBistro idea...

Haha, that was exactly my reaction when I first heard about the group, especially because the "Downtown" Brentwood area is currently mostly made up of rotting strip malls and gas stations.

Speaking of Antioch, the thing that about Brentwood that most resembles Antioch is....its "downtown."

Of course, I get the feeling there is a disconnect between what the city planners want and what the residents want. The city planners have been pushing for the "Town Center" idea for a while. But I get the feeling the NIMBY groups will oppose just about anything in the Town Center that includes residential. I guess they want it to be dead after 9pm.

Yay, I got the internets (and TV) back today!

Yes, as with everyone else welcome to the boards!

I assume the "streets" name didn't help the developers cause...not like it would matter anyways.  Brentwood Village might have made.  Sounds like a nice subdivision.   <_<

• 2 weeks later...