Surrounding Counties - Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, Maury, etc.

Rural King

Well yes, downtown Franklin is nice, but it's what, four by four blocks big?  Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they aren't building skyscrapers, because that likely means more office space for the central city.  I'm just guessing that that their reasoning for building office parks instead of skyscrapers is misguided.  But then, who am I to say that a sea of asphalt peppered with cheaply built strip malls and fast food outlets isn't a landscape worthy of preservation?  Different strokes, I guess. 

Well yes, downtown Franklin is nice, but it's what, four by four blocks big?  Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they aren't building skyscrapers, because that likely means more office space for the central city.  I'm just guessing that that their reasoning for building office parks instead of skyscrapers is misguided.  But then, who am I to say that a sea of asphalt peppered with cheaply built strip malls and fast food outlets isn't a landscape worthy of preservation?  Different strokes, I guess. 

Downtown Franklin is pretty small...but including the historic houses, it's really about 20-25 blocks.

To be perfectly honest, Franklin concerns me less than a lot of the other suburbs...because Franklin is getting to the point where they at least recognize the need for higher density and more efficient designs (not to mention that a lot of those office buildings are LEED certified). I'm not going to suggest Franklin is doing all they can to combat sprawl, but they are probably a bit more forward-thinking than they are given credit for. 

Downtown Franklin is pretty small...but including the historic houses, it's really about 20-25 blocks.

To be perfectly honest, Franklin concerns me less than a lot of the other suburbs...because Franklin is getting to the point where they at least recognize the need for higher density and more efficient designs (not to mention that a lot of those office buildings are LEED certified). I'm not going to suggest Franklin is doing all they can to combat sprawl, but they are probably a bit more forward-thinking than they are given credit for. 

That's true.  Franklin certainly is no Smyrna.

• 2 weeks later...

This is welcome news to someone who visits downtown Franklin quite often. It really is picturesque and developments like this will keep tax dollars in Franklin. It really is too bad that Brentwood leaders have not adopted a progressive mindset. The Streets o Brentwood would have done for Brentwood what this development will do for downtown Franklin. It is very attractive to potential families and residents to blend commercial and residential developments together. 

This is welcome news to someone who visits downtown Franklin quite often. It really is picturesque and developments like this will keep tax dollars in Franklin. It really is too bad that Brentwood leaders have not adopted a progressive mindset. The Streets o Brentwood would have done for Brentwood what this development will do for downtown Franklin. It is very attractive to potential families and residents to blend commercial and residential developments together. 

You know, it's bizarre sometimes how people perceive urban environments.  I'm guessing that many who opposed the Streets of Brentwood development due to fears of 'traffic congestion' and 'lower home values' (aka ew, poor people), also likely view the area in and immediately around downtown Franklin as 'charming' and/or 'pleasant.' 

There is a clear disconnect in many peoples' minds between their impressions of those classic, small town, "Main Street USA" type environments that pretty much everyone seems to have a generally positive nostalgic perception of their perceptions of a new urban development in a similar vein, which is more likely to be associated in their minds with Brooklyn than it is with downtown Franklin, TN.  Actually, I think that is an area where the urban planning community has failed.  It needs to, I guess the right word would be market, urban development better. 

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

my grandparents can not give me an good reason why they were against the Streets of Brentwood. I think it is mostly to do with their view of Brentwood, they actually don't like how many people live there now.  but then, when they moved in, Maryland Farms was a horse farm, and concord road was 1 gravel lane lined by trees. 

• 4 weeks later...

They were changing construction companies, apparently due to a sudden rise in costs, but they should be starting again very soon. The two structures currently there are the parking garages, but once work starts again, it should rise fairly quickly.

Ah ok!  When I think of Cool Springs East I think of items along McEwen and the new Franklin Park project... which they happen to be installing underground utilities now.

That was my first thought. Then I saw the orientation of the buildings in the site plan were different. Confusion washed over me, then I thought "OH!"

We'll see how things turn out for this development.  I definitely can see that area between Mt. Juliet and Lebanon turning into another Cool Springs.  Is this site served by the Music City Star?

No. This is south of 1-40. It's about 2.5 miles from the Star, though, so I think it would be wise to think about establishing a shuttle to the station, if this gets built.

Massive Cool Springs East project is on hold until sewer is figured out.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130522/WILSON02/305220022/Massive-Bel-Air-Providence-project-remains-hold

"Bel Air Providence"? ...I just threw up a little bit in my mouth...can they at least attempt to make some kind of local connection of the development with the land/area? What I'm really looking forward to is Rancho Sante Fe Indian Lake...

"Guerrero believes the system could not adequately serve Bel Air Providence and that restaurants, retailers, corporate office users, apartment developers and homeowners would not invest in a development served by septic tanks."

Ya think? Sounds like this guy is just a tad bit patronizing...

Edited by TnNative

• 3 weeks later...