Surrounding Counties - Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, Maury, etc.

Rural King

That will change very soon with the Cherry Lane Extension, Sulphur Springs Road Improvements, and the long anticipated Thompson Lane and Jefferson Pike widening projects. Phase Two of Cherry Lane extension has begun and will be completed over the next two years, including a new interchange with SR 840 and intersection with Broad Street. Sulphur Springs and Hanes Drive will also be widened to three lanes each with improvements to the Sulphur Springs interchange with SR 840. Jefferson Pike and Thompson are still in the design phase, so those projects will likely be completed in the early 2020s. I admit that Thompson Lane should have been first considering the amount of development and traffic already present, but the same tune continues to play in Murfreesboro, develop, then build the infrastructure last.

The Sulphur springs exit off 840 is inadequate at this point and time.  Thompson Lane and Hanes would be most beneficial.  More and more traffic/commuters are using the Joe B Jax exit off 24 to connect to Church/231.  This is becomming a major relief to the already crowded southside corridor.  

A-Game Sportsplex could be sold, closed this Spring

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2015/07/10/game-sportsplex-sold-closed-spring/29997653/

Hopefully they can find a way to keep this facility open. They host travel sports events almost everyday over the summer which brings in thousands of people to the county. Also, the county high schools use the ice rinks for their hockey games and practices. Hard to believe they aren't making much money considering how busy they are.

A-Game Sportsplex could be sold, closed this Spring

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2015/07/10/game-sportsplex-sold-closed-spring/29997653/

Hopefully they can find a way to keep this facility open. They host travel sports events almost everyday over the summer which brings in thousands of people to the county. Also, the county high schools use the ice rinks for their hockey games and practices. Hard to believe they aren't making much money considering how busy they are.

I'd love to keep that facility open. That gives the Nashville area 6 sheets of ice, and with it gone, we're now back to where we were before the Ford Ice Center opened. I'm sure the Ford Ice Center can take on a lot of the area high school games, and I know it is more convenient for most of Davidson, Rutherford, and Wilson Counties, but it is sure nice having a facility in Williamson as well.

Though I will say that I can believe that they aren't making much money -- a facility like that is expensive to maintain. I don't know what their financials are, but I can see how the new owners might think that the nearly 20 acres of land are more valuable than the facility brings in.

• Like 1

The closing of that facility will effect hundreds, if not thousands, of kids in Williamson County.  There are so many volleyball, basketball and hockey teams that use that facility for their actual in-season leagues that it will be hard to find a new facility that can handle even half of what goes on there.

Where does Cheatham County fit in? After all, Ashland City has the tallest buildings between Nashville and Memphis.

I'd put Cheatham (and Dickson) in this thread. It's sort of a north of I-40/south of I-40 thing (which, except for Providence, works beautifully).

Where does Cheatham County fit in? After all, Ashland City has the tallest buildings between Nashville and Memphis.

...and if "Mount Saint May Town" ever does show signs of "aired-borne" steam and ash-spewed "particulates" and eventually would "erupt" with an explosion of NW county development, we might even see feel the heat of the magma spread across county lines, as far as those tallest buildings (Braxton Condos) at Harpeth Shoals Marina.  Within 17 years, this might not be that far fetched, if the Northwest Corridor includes an Ashland City station (in favor of the existing mostly abandoned rail route, if it would get implemented with a well orchestrated plan).

Who knows!  If the nearby NFL team ever decides to flourish again, there might even become an attraction "The Mariota at Wariota Way" (the roadway serving the marina).  I know, I guess  I must be looking through a cataracted crystal ball.

-==-

Well, once you find a way to edit the title... go for it!

Nah, leave it. I think this will take care of 99% of potential announcements.

The only thing I might do is add Maury to MSA South, to help sort of balance things.

2014 growth (change since 2010)

MSA North 646,461 (+44,414)

Cheatham 39,764 (+657)

Dickson 50,575 (+921)

Montgomery 189,961 (+17,624)

Robertson 68,079 (+1,786)

Sumner 172,706 (+12,061)

Wilson 125,376 (+11,365)

MSA South 579,647 (+52,904)

Maury 85,515 (+4,556)

Rutherford 288,906 (+26,302)

Williamson 205,226 (+22,046)

• Like 2

Most places in the metropolitan area will be totally different 10 years from now. Its an exciting time to live here! 

Yes, and I realize that many (if not most) of us on this forum were not around (or possibly conceived), when a few of the existing sprawl outgrowths occurred.  Whoever would have thought that parts of greater Antioch or even, on a more modest level, the community of Gower and other historic districts on the west side finally, would become recognizable by more that just a sign post?  Yes, there are a number of scattered "seeds" of development progeny out there, ever so dormant.

Compared to at least one of the so-called peer cities (other than Austin), Nashville and Davidson County consolidated has quite a bit of catching up to do in terms of density and land use, w/r/t contemporary Portland, OR, the separate county seat of Multnomah Co. (the smallest in area in that state).  IMH, its not a fair comparison as officials tend to bend the iron, as Portland proper available usable land is not comparable with that of Metro Nashville.  Although I had been there some 27 year ago, Portland really impressed me much more, as I visited it on the 4th and 5th of this month.

But without looking at the uphill climb of manageable growth as an insurmountable attainment, I have to agree that, given current dynamics and surges, most places in the metro area really should become totally different from what they are now, in a decade.

-==-

I absolutely hate this. Murfreesboro/Rutherford County went from their own sub-forum to it's own thread to now sharing a thread with Williamson Co. This will definitely cut down on my forum reading. :(

We needed consolidation. Too many pinned topics. There probably won't be much difference in activity.

Those that dont know... the Goat at Henley Station is now open! Its been open for a minute but I forgot to post it on here. Im planning to go this Friday night. The menu looks awesome.

http://www.lcgoat.com/#about

There's also a lot of land excavation going on at Robert Rose Dr just off of Medical Center Pkwy. I think its for the new apartments mentioned previously in this thread. Theyre not wasting any time thats for sure.

Edited by MetroTN