Surrounding Counties - Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, Maury, etc.

Rural King

7 minutes ago, markhollin said:

12 things you might not have known about Williamson County's growth:

http://www.williamsonchamber.com/news/economic-development-news/12-facts-about-williamson-county/

#2 is not correct.

Williamson is the fastest growing county in the state by percentage, but not absolute number. 

Also, I have seen no projections that put Williamson in 2035 as the same size as Nashville today. Regardless of whether they mean Nashville or Davidson County, 2010 or today, that statement is absurd. Basically it would require growing by an entire Knox County in 20 years, or more than 200,000 per decade. 

Someone needs to scold the Williamson Chamber. 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2016 at 10:10 AM, nashvillwill said:

#11- "Williamson county has some of the lowest costs of living....when compared to peer cities like Austin, Atlanta and Charlotte."

I'm not sure these cities quite qualify as "peers" to Cool Springs. 

so all of Williamson county is just Cool Springs?  

GM announces 800 new job hires at their plant in Spring Hill (a 30% increase):

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2016/04/27/gm-announces-792m-investment-spring-hills-plant/83556198/

Also, Hardees makes their move to Cool Springs from St. Louis official.  Will be 100 jobs:

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/economic-development/article/20630169/hardees-parent-makes-hq-move-official

Edited by markhollin
  • Like 4

On 4/28/2016 at 10:44 AM, markhollin said:

Chartwell Hospitality is about to begin construction of this 8-story, 244-room full-service Hilton hotel in Cool Springs area.  Don't know the location, as the full article is behind the paywall at NBJ.  Here is a rendering:

Screen Shot 2016-04-28 at 9.41.16 AM.png

Chartwell is about to put up another hotel similar to this one at Exit 74 (first Brentwood exit) on I-65.  The thing noteworthy about this is there is currently an existing Hampton Inn sitting on that property. The site is about midway between the HQs for two Fortune 500 companies (TSCO and LPNT).  Chartwell already owns the hotel/land, and they plan to demolish it to put up an 8-story hotel with more than twice as many rooms (231) and a 4-story parking garage. It is a highly visible site at the west side of I-65 (Brentwood address but in Davidson County). Chartwell is also currently building a similar hotel in Green Hills. 

From NBJ: http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/05/02/even-bigger-hotel-coming-to-busy-brentwood-exit.html

" Currently, there is a 106-room Hampton Inn hotel located on the property at 5630 Franklin Pike Circle where Chartwell is proposing its eight-story hotel, with an attached four-story parking garage. That Hampton Inn hotel is part of Chartwell's portfolio, and the land is owned by an entity registered to Chartwell's offices."

14 minutes ago, dmillsphoto said:

And now this. My one line rant follows. I am all for smart urban development, but I am not for such superficial development of small towns. Developer proposes $90M "downtown" Nolensville.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/05/02/first-look-developer-pitches-90m-downtown.html?ana=twt

Could you explain why?  I don't understand your post.  

Surely you're not saying strip malls and big box retail on huge parking lots are okay, but walkable mixed use is not?  The suburbs/exurbs that are going to grow are the ones that develop these kinds of desirable features, as the core becomes too pricey for most.

15 minutes ago, dmillsphoto said:

And now this. My one line rant follows. I am all for smart urban development, but I am not for such superficial development of small towns. Developer proposes $90M "downtown" Nolensville.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/05/02/first-look-developer-pitches-90m-downtown.html?ana=twt

But they've gotten themselves in a bit of a pickle.  Nolensville wanted to keep their "historic district" right there on the highway...and have allowed the town to be ringed by tons of housing developments...but have basically chased all but a few retail and commercial businesses away and made them build on the outskirts of town in what is considered Brentwood.  

Other than a couple of road upgrades and small "bypasses"...their road infrastructure is built just for housing.  Eventually, I would think they could do a better job of diversifying and coming up with a true commercial district (or two or three), with adequate infrastructure...and keep some of the commercial taxes in their city coffers instead of letting most of it go to Brentwood.  Not saying this development is the answer...but the city really needs to do something to provide more services for the town.

As far as those artificial town centers, I think I prefer them to the far flung subdivisions that have already infested Nolensville. If this keeps people going opposite from Nashville on their commute to work, that's fine with me. I get the spirit of these developments, but do understand the resistance to having another "downtown" when we all are advocating for a large central one.  I just these little town centers will be no threat to downtown Nashville. 

This "Main Street" view depicts the heart of the proposed $90 million Nolensville Market Square development, set to include 250,000 square feet of office, retail and residential space.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, markhollin said:

This is a whopper…732-unit apartment complex to be called Cedar Farm Village proposed for 46 acres on the west side of Lebanon:

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20630520/wilson-county-site-eyed-for-732unit-apartment-project

Not in any way, shape, or form a "village," and probably will have to destroy "Cedar Farm" to build this.  It's like murdering someone and then taking their last name to show everyone how much you 'respect' them.  

• Like 2

On 5/3/2016 at 11:55 PM, BnaBreaker said:

Not in any way, shape, or form a "village," and probably will have to destroy "Cedar Farm" to build this.  It's like murdering someone and then taking their last name to show everyone how much you 'respect' them.  

I've noticed that if a place has "Village", "Reserve", "Farm", or "Square" in its name, it usually is none of the above. Tons of these "Blah-blah-blah Reserve" have been popping up around Philadelphia lately, doing nothing but destroying farms, woodlands, and wetlands to plop down a bunch of crappy Toll Brothers cookie cutter houses. Ugh...TB is the worst...why'd you make me think of those beotchs? I blame you now, BNA. :P

EDIT: Why the F does the forum keep changing "b@stards" (with an A) to "beotchs"? I'm proud to say I have never, nor will I ever, say the word "beotchs."

Edited by Nathan_in_DC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

I've noticed that if a place has "Village", "Reserve", "Farm", or "Square" in its name, it usually is none of the above. Tons of these "Blah-blah-blah Reserve" have been popping up around Philadelphia lately, doing nothing but destroying farms, woodlands, and wetlands to plop down a bunch of crappy Toll Brothers cookie cutter houses. Ugh...TB is the worst...why'd you make me think of those beotchs? I blame you now, BNA. :P

EDIT: Why the F does the forum keep changing "b@stards" (with an A) to "beotchs"? I'm proud to say I have never, nor will I ever, say the word "beotchs."

Hahaha...it's a scourge I tell ya...it irks me to no end driving around the suburbs and seeing all of these idyllic but fake subdivision names... it's such a bizarre phenomenon to me.  I mean I know these names are helping to sell these homes to some extent because people find them somehow appealing, but then at the same time I can't help but wonder, if these people get such warm and fuzzy feelings for things like forests and town squares and villages and meadows, then why the hell do they live in the polar opposite of all of those things in cookie cutter-aluminum siding-clear cut the trees-retention pond land (worst amusement park ever)?  

As for the forum's, shall we say, curious auto editing choices, I can't say I really understand it myself.  Not that I have a burning need to drop F bombs all over the place, but I'm pretty sure it's safe to say there aren't any children browsing urban planning message boards in their free time.  haha...and yes, "beotch" is a dreadful word.  Be a man and just use the real version for gods sake. :)

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Hahaha...it's a scourge I tell ya...it irks me to no end driving around the suburbs and seeing all of these idyllic but fake subdivision names... it's such a bizarre phenomenon to me.  I mean I know these names are helping to sell these homes to some extent because people find them somehow appealing, but then at the same time I can't help but wonder, if these people get such warm and fuzzy feelings for things like forests and town squares and villages and meadows, then why the hell do they live in the polar opposite of all of those things in cookie cutter-aluminum siding-clear cut the trees-retention pond land (worst amusement park ever)?  

Precisely! I mean, I do tend to blame companies like Toll Brothers for constructing them in the first place, but then again, those who buy and live in them are equally to blame for the destruction of the near-urban countryside. I just don't understand the desire to own one of these places... I mean, I guess there is something to be said about having a house and a yard in a nice school district, but is there so little pre-existing housing stock that it necessitates such wanton destruction? Plus, having a house is supposedly the ultimate outlet of self expression and "America," so why does one chose to do it in such a bland way?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

Precisely! I mean, I do tend to blame companies like Toll Brothers for constructing them in the first place, but then again, those who buy and live in them are equally to blame for the destruction of the near-urban countryside. I just don't understand the desire to own one of these places... I mean, I guess there is something to be said about having a house and a yard in a nice school district, but is there so little pre-existing housing stock that it necessitates such wanton destruction? Plus, having a house is supposedly the ultimate outlet of self expression and "America," so why does one chose to do it in such a bland way?

I couldn't agree more.  And I should have clarified for those that don't see the distinction.  I completely understand the desire to own a home with a yard near good schools etc.  But, as you said, that doesn't necessitate the environmental destruction that we see with so many suburban housing developments.  That's just the developer being cheap and lazy.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Hey_Hey said:

These definitely aren't a threat to downtown Nashville.  These "villages" serve the purposes that strip centers served previously. 

Completely agreed.  Suburbia needs commercial zones too.  Might as well have them look like this rather than the asphalt wastelands of the past!  Chicago has tons of these all around the metro area, though many are original downtowns a la downtown Franklin, but still, it's nice having them around and they certainly are no threat to Chicago proper.

• Like 4