Surrounding Counties - Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, Maury, etc.

Rural King

Dow Corn Refinery will open a new plant in Clarksville. The plant will be located near Rossview Rd. and will impact the area substantially as Volkswagen will do for Chattanooga. This is truly wonderful for Clarksville and the Middle Tennessee area. An official announcement will be made on Monday.

Dow Corn Refinery will open a new plant in Clarksville. The plant will be located near Rossview Rd. and will impact the area substantially as Volkswagen will do for Chattanooga. This is truly wonderful for Clarksville and the Middle Tennessee area. An official announcement will be made on Monday.

Lots of new money in this area of Clarksville too. Have you seen some of the nice homes popping up out there???

As far as the area around the new hospital, there is a mix of small and large-scale office buildings being developed...only one completed at this point. The new Physicians Office Building 1, which ties into the hospital, is move-in ready now I believe. Also, they are pushing a large corporate office/retail park directly across from the hospital, but I do not believe it has gotten off the ground as of yet.

As far as the old hospital, the Atlanta-based company that was to develop the area with retail has backed out. However, I believe a Brentwood-based company has entered into an agreement to develop the area. Parts of the hospital are still being used until early next year...physician offices and the Lifelight helipad. Lifelight will be moving out to Outlaw Field, where they have built a new hanger, early next year. Some of the physicians have been waiting to move into the new Physicians Building 1, which should now be finished.

Also, we keep hearing rumors of all kinds of big box retail coming out to the Sango area. However, I believe they are all waiting for the 41-A widening project to begin, which has been pushed off due to the state's budget problems.

Im going to try to get some photos of the Strawberry Alley project and also the new office building going up across from Gateway Medical Center. I think the new office building looks very nice and is certainly an upgrade on the majority of what has been built in St. B.

I'm excited about the Dow Corning project which is supposed to be announced by Gov. Bredeson on Monday. I don't think it will be employing a tremendous amount of local people but I do think this mega-investment (said to be the largest industrial investment in Tennessee history including the VW plant in Chattanooga) could possibly bring in other businesses.

To clarify, the corporation coming to Clarksville is Hemlock Semiconductor Corporation, a division of Dow Corning. The company will produce silicone-based semiconductors for use on things like cell phones, video games, solar panels and many other industrial uses. It is said that they will employ a minimum of 500 people when they first begin production in 2011 or so. Their investment in this venture is said to be upwards of $1.1 billion, more than Volkswagen's investment in Chattanooga.

Im going to try to get some photos of the Strawberry Alley project and also the new office building going up across from Gateway Medical Center. I think the new office building looks very nice and is certainly an upgrade on the majority of what has been built in St. B.

I'm excited about the Dow Corning project which is supposed to be announced by Gov. Bredeson on Monday. I don't think it will be employing a tremendous amount of local people but I do think this mega-investment (said to be the largest industrial investment in Tennessee history including the VW plant in Chattanooga) could possibly bring in other businesses.

Some pics taken this weekend. The first is the new office building being constructed across from the new Gateway Hospital.

3110965106_bcd58e7e93.jpg

Below is the new Gateway Hospital (Rear Side)

3110965404_0c68c1bf22.jpg

Below are some shots of the refurbished Legion Street now known as Strawberry Alley. This was really an eyesore before with electrical lines all over the place and dumpsters on the street. It is now a one way street with wide sidewalks and a new 22 foot fountain.

3110133863_104b4da255.jpg

3110134631_64160fc078.jpg

3110134197_29fc3ab110.jpg

Hemlock made the official announcment today.

They are indeed investing upwards of 1 billion and will bring 900 jobs. Once built, this will be the single largest investment in Tennessee history. Austin Peay State University will also be recieving millions to start a program to train students for work in the facility.

Production should start in 2012.

With all the jobs being lost lately with the economy, this is certainly a breath of fresh air.

Great shots. Too bad the city and CDE did not make the initial investment to bury those power lines.

Also, I wonder when construction of the second medical office building will begin? Once finished, this will be a massive complex.

Below is the new Gateway Hospital (Rear Side)

3110965404_0c68c1bf22.jpg

Edited by miami1855

Great shots. Too bad the city and CDE did not make the initial investment to bury those power lines.

Also, I wonder when construction of the second medical office building will begin? Once finished, this will be a massive complex.

I agree about the powerlines especially since I enjoy taking photographs. Power lines will ruin a picture every time! Grrrrrr.

I wasn't aware there was going to be a second office building. Cool. It's good to see Clarksville getting some of these.

You know...I wonder why "they" put this new hospital right behind Governor's Square Mall? Everything about the mall and surroundings are so dated late 80's ?

You know...I wonder why "they" put this new hospital right behind Governor's Square Mall? Everything about the mall and surroundings are so dated late 80's ?

There was some initial talk about re-building Governor's Square over in this area and turning the old mall into some updated retail.

There was some initial talk about re-building Governor's Square over in this area and turning the old mall into some updated retail.

What ever bacame of the the Marina that was supposed to be built on the river at Riverside drive hwy 48 area and the revival of the Two Rivers mall? Wasn't Belk returning to this mall as a second Clarks-vegas location?

What ever bacame of the the Marina that was supposed to be built on the river at Riverside drive hwy 48 area and the revival of the Two Rivers mall? Wasn't Belk returning to this mall as a second Clarks-vegas location?

I don't know anything about Two Rivers but I believe funding has just been approved for the Marina and water park.

I don't know anything about Two Rivers but I believe funding has just been approved for the Marina and water park.

Yes. The marina will begin demolition and construction at Fairgrounds Park in April or May and is slated to be completed by the late 2010.

As far as Two Rivers, it has been remodeled into an open air "mall." There is Hooters, Casa Blanca, Surplus Warehouse, Citi Trends, Harbor Freight Tools, Cheeseburger Charley's and Kickers Night Club. It is not an upscale place by any means, but a major upgrade from the old empty indoor mall.

• 1 month later...

Yes. The marina will begin demolition and construction at Fairgrounds Park in April or May and is slated to be completed by the late 2010.

As far as Two Rivers, it has been remodeled into an open air "mall." There is Hooters, Casa Blanca, Surplus Warehouse, Citi Trends, Harbor Freight Tools, Cheeseburger Charley's and Kickers Night Club. It is not an upscale place by any means, but a major upgrade from the old empty indoor mall.

Has Governor's Square ever gone through any major re-mods??? It looks the same as it did when I was a child. Most malls tend to evolve but GS mall seems to be locked in a time warp. I know the economy is bad, but this is one property that is dire need of an update... <_<

Has Governor's Square ever gone through any major re-mods??? It looks the same as it did when I was a child. Most malls tend to evolve but GS mall seems to be locked in a time warp. I know the economy is bad, but this is one property that is dire need of an update... <_<

It has seen some updating inside, but mainly due to stores renovating their own areas. I agree that it is really an eyesore property still. But who really notices with all of the stores, red lights, enormous lighted signs and all around it? That whole area should have been filled with ordinances when it was initially developed. Now, it's out of control.

Edited by miami1855

• 1 month later...

The final renderings of the new marina at Fairgrounds Park were unveiled to the public last night. Construction will begin in June and Phase 1 of the park/marina will be ready by next summer. They will dredge enough dirt in the existing park to overfill LP Field.

http://www.theleafchronicle.com/article/20...EWS01/903270350

I think this is a great thing for not only Clarksville, but the area in general. For those of you that are boaters, you know that there are no places to dock and gas up your boat between Rock Harbor in Nashville and Bumpus Mills in Kentucky. So, this marina will serve as a huge draw for all boaters on the Cumberland. I think it should also attract some retail and development to that side of downtown, which as remained undeveloped for years.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No word. Would be surprised if it ever got off the ground. I do know, however, that Oak Grove just broke ground on a new convention center.

Does Clarksville have a convention center? It sounds like OG is trying to capitalize on things that Clarksville can't seem to do??? Whatever became of the proposed arena/convention center downtown?

• 2 weeks later...

Does Clarksville have a convention center? It sounds like OG is trying to capitalize on things that Clarksville can't seem to do??? Whatever became of the proposed arena/convention center downtown?

Various convention center plans have all been shot down, wither by lack of funding or public disapproval.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any news in Clarksville???

The marina and fairgrounds project is coming along, despite the wet weather. Plans are still set to open the marina for business on Memorial Day weekend. The fairgrounds will be completed in two other phases, set to be completed by spring 2011. Here area a few cameras from the site.

http://www.earthcam.com/clients/clarksville/

And there's a little musical chairs happening at the mall. Electronic Express has developed a spinoff of their stores called "Digital City" in the once vacant Circuit City. Dick's Sporting Goods will move into the old Goody's location and rumors are that Best Buy will eventually move to the old Linen's N Things location.

Other than that, there have been rumors of new developments around the Gateway Medical Center/Exit 8 and the Sango/Exit 11 areas, but nothing confirmed. Rep. Joe Pitts has requested funds to start studying the need for a new exit on I-24 at the hospital, near mile marker 5 or 6. We'll see.

New home construction is still at a crazy pace. House values are level and people are buying and selling. Always good news there.