Surrounding Counties - Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, Maury, etc.

Rural King

3 hours ago, nativetenn said:

Murfreesboro is an interesting city. About half of the residents will identify directly with Nashville (for instance, they will tell an non-Middle Tennessean or out-of-stater they are from Nashville). The other half will make a case for Murfreesboro's independence from Nashville. I tend to disagree; I think the Boro couldn't sustain 130,000 people without Nashville nearby, but that's their call.

I imagine the I-24 commute is a nightmare. Unless they've expanded it, most of that stretch is two lanes only. I'm not sure what the numbers are for Rutherford Co. residents commuting to Davidson is but I'm sure it's comparable to Williamson.

Murfreesboro is growing like Mesa, Arizona. It's an absolutely massive suburb. You have to go to Atlanta to see suburban cities like Murfreesboro. It's unreal.

I-24 is four lanes both directions. The traffic is still horrible. Plus once you get into Murfreesboro, the traffic is still a major problem. The city design just can't really handle the influx of people.

• Like 1

Murfreesboro is an interesting place for folks who have been here awhile. I moved here for college in 1995 and now live in the Blackman area about 5 minutes from Medical Center/I-24.

It’s interesting really because I can get home from a Preds game in about 35 minutes.  That’s faster than some people who actually live in Davidson County.  So in a way I definitely consider this side of the Boro to be more Nashville oriented. If you live in the middle of the Boro though you definitely live in Murfreesboro.  There are places in town that take me about as long to get to as it does to get home from a game or to travel downtown on a weekend.

Pretty unreal to think about for anyone who has been here for a good amount of time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, glamdring269 said:

Murfreesboro is an interesting place for folks who have been here awhile. I moved here for college in 1995 and now live in the Blackman area about 5 minutes from Medical Center/I-24.

It’s interesting really because I can get home from a Preds game in about 35 minutes.  That’s faster than some people who actually live in Davidson County.  So in a way I definitely consider this side of the Boro to be more Nashville oriented. If you live in the middle of the Boro though you definitely live in Murfreesboro.  There are places in town that take me about as long to get to as it does to get home from a game or to travel downtown on a weekend.

Pretty unreal to think about for anyone who has been here for a good amount of time.

Yeah...its different than it used to be.  I live in Smyrna...and there have been times it's taken 45 minutes to drive to a place "deep" inside Murfreesboro with traffic around drive-time.

Even though this is technically still in Davidson County, this is the best thread:

Brentwood Commons (8 stories,  120,000 sq. ft. off office and garage) update.  Crane up.

Looking north from parking lot just east of Four Points by Sheraton:

Brentwood Commons, Oct 24, 2018, 1.jpg

Brentwood Commons, Oct 24, 2018, 2.jpg

Looking NE from parking lot just east of Four Points by Sheraton:

Brentwood Commons, Oct 24, 2018, 3.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/26/2018 at 7:02 PM, nativetenn said:

Huh. For some reason I recall a stretch of 24 being a 2-lane highway at some point near Nashville. I guess that's only near a conjunction. Or maybe I just can't remember anything, haha

I-24 was two lanes on each side LaVergne to Bell Road until 1999.  Construction was nearing completion when I moved from Smyrna to the Grassland area in Williamson county in late 1998.

• Like 2

On 10/26/2018 at 9:00 PM, glamdring269 said:

I live in Blackman as well (Stonecrest/Puckett Crossing) and I find the traffic at Medical Center and I-24 highly annoying most of the time.  Outside of that, this isn't a bad place to live and yes, I identify with Nashville.  Nobody knows what Murfreesboro is outside of Tennessee.

Edited by Lexy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Downtown Franklin is so nice.  The shops, the restaurants and the surrounding homes make this one of the South's greatest little towns.  Downtown this evening (and free parking  yeah!)  

Yeah...Franklin is pretty awesome.  You should drive out to Leiper's Fork during the day and see that area, as well.  Middle TN has a lot of really awesome places to visit.  Lynchburg (Jack Daniels Distillery)...Bell Buckle...several Civil War battlefields.  Drive part of the Natchez Trace.

• Like 3