Surrounding Counties - Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, Maury, etc.

Rural King

Gallatin's city council unanimously approved tax breaks and a development agreement on May 19 for a $715 million data center that Facebook will build.

The tech giant, with 2.5 billion users worldwide, didn't wait for that outcome to begin buying land for the project. Facebook, through its Woolhawk LLC entity, paid $15.1 million on May 13 to buy roughly half of the estimated 800 acres the company needs for the data center site. Public records documenting the property deals were filed in Sumner County on May 18.

Construction could occur in phases over a decade, with as many as six buildings created, according to documents filed with the city and state. Initially, Facebook will build its typical data center, shaped like an H and containing 970,000 square feet of space. Facebook operates 10 data centers today, with five more under construction around the world — and often expands those operations beyond the initial building.

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/05/20/facebook-data-center-gallatin-tn-nashville-vote.html?ana=twt

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What are the tallest buildings in Williamson and Rutherford counties?  What are the height restrictions?  Just curious because I don't see any reason why either county can't develop a town center environment like they've done in Reston, VA.  I believe the tallest building in Reston is 21 stories and is 276 feet.  What they've done is taken an area like Cool Springs (minus the mall) and created a small city.  It was once more like an office park area.  But now it has a small urban feel to it  because it now has office towers that are over 10 stories and residential high rises as well.  Add to that retail and dinning space at the street level and it is now a wonderful place to work and live.  Reston is a little under 25 miles from Washington, DC.  Tysons, VA is another area that I could see being used as a model for the Cool Springs area because it actually has two malls across that are across the street from one another.  It's not as walk-able as  Reston, but it is being developed with more towers.  The tallest there is 34 stories.  Both Reston and Tysons are growing even more now that the Metro rail system has expanded into those areas.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PillowTalk4 said:

What are the tallest buildings in Williamson and Rutherford counties?  What are the height restrictions?  Just curious because I don't see any reason why either county can't develop a town center environment like they've done in Reston, VA.  I believe the tallest building in Reston is 21 stories and is 276 feet.  What they've done is taken an area like Cool Springs (minus the mall) and created a small city.  It was once more like an office park area.  But now it has a small urban feel to it  because it now has office towers that are over 10 stories and residential high rises as well.  Add to that retail and dinning space at the street level and it is now a wonderful place to work and live.  Reston is a little under 25 miles from Washington, DC.  Tysons, VA is another area that I could see being used as a model for the Cool Springs area because it actually has two malls across that are across the street from one another.  It's not as walk-able as  Reston, but it is being developed with more towers.  The tallest there is 34 stories.  Both Reston and Tysons are growing even more now that the Metro rail system has expanded into those areas.

At one point I believe the restrictions were 11 stories in Cool Springs.  They want to keep the views of the rolling hills open.  Or something like that.

1 hour ago, TheRaglander said:

At one point I believe the restrictions were 11 stories in Cool Springs.  They want to keep the views of the rolling hills open.  Or something like that.

Yeah...Cool Springs will never have height because of the hills...and I can’t say that I blame them.  Very pretty hills surrounding Cool Springs.

• Like 2

McEwen Northside in Cool Springs is making some adjustments.  A 4 story/225 unit apartment structure,  a second hotel (7 stories, 165 rooms), and a 5 story structure with 16 apartments and street-level retail are  being added into the large mixed-use project, and 80,000 fewer square feet of office space. About half of the campus is currently under construction, with a few areas already open.

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/05/20/boyle-mcewen-development-apartments-office-retail.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

Here is a recent flyover video:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, titanhog said:

Yeah...Cool Springs will never have height because of the hills...and I can’t say that I blame them.  Very pretty hills surrounding Cool Springs.

Agreed, very pretty, which is why I think Franklin should make an effort to preserve them by not sprawling all over the place and maybe consider a little... a little... height in some places... just to play devil's advocate.  :) 

• Like 1

I don't mind the height limits in Franklin/Cool Springs. What I do wish, is that the city would push for a more urban developments along the I-65 corridor. Kind of like Berry Farms but multiple contiguous developments. It's a little late for Cool Springs but the area from Goose Creek down to 840 is ripe for higher density urban development. 

I am surprised that there hasn't been taller projects in downtown Murfreesboro. I think a couple 10-15 brick residential buildings would look nice with the one "tall" building they already have down there.

2 hours ago, 21jump said:

I don't mind the height limits in Franklin/Cool Springs. What I do wish, is that the city would push for a more urban developments along the I-65 corridor. Kind of like Berry Farms but multiple contiguous developments. It's a little late for Cool Springs but the area from Goose Creek down to 840 is ripe for higher density urban development. 

I am surprised that there hasn't been taller projects in downtown Murfreesboro. I think a couple 10-15 brick residential buildings would look nice with the one "tall" building they already have down there.

The thing with Murfreesboro is that I wonder if downtown will be the place to go "tall" in the future...or if it will be somewhere out around the Avenue area...and hospital?  

Edited by titanhog

14 hours ago, titanhog said:

The thing with Murfreesboro is that I wonder if downtown will be the place to go "tall" in the future...or if it will be somewhere out around the Avenue area...and hospital?  

The tallest is still downtown (City Center is 211' and 15 stories and actually has a penthouse up top), and will likely stay that way for a long time. Murfreesboro still has a lot of land, and I just don't see it landing any major businesses that would require a taller building. Everything at the Avenue is mostly retail with some doctors offices and the like around it. Maybe something further up Medical Center past the hospital, but I'd be shocked to see much height. The hospital will probably be the tallest in that area for a long time as well. 

3 hours ago, satalac said:

The tallest is still downtown (City Center is 211' and 15 stories and actually has a penthouse up top), and will likely stay that way for a long time. Murfreesboro still has a lot of land, and I just don't see it landing any major businesses that would require a taller building. Everything at the Avenue is mostly retail with some doctors offices and the like around it. Maybe something further up Medical Center past the hospital, but I'd be shocked to see much height. The hospital will probably be the tallest in that area for a long time as well. 

I'm talking more like an HQ-type building....like Cool Springs gets...which would potentially want to go somewhere closer to I-24 / I-840.  Don't know if Murfreesboro would ever get something like that...but it's possible.  Of course, the height probably wouldn't be any taller than the Cool Springs buildings.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, titanhog said:
On 5/20/2020 at 2:25 PM, 21jump said:

For office, I think 24/Medical Center Pkwy is the best chance. But I think downtown may be an option for high(er) rise residential for people that may want to be in an urban setting but don't want to live in Davidon Co.

• Like 1

Carothers Crossing (Four 4 story buildings, 340 apts.,  35,000 sq. ft. of retail, 24,000 sq. ft. of office space, restaurant, and bank branch on 20 acres) update.  Elevator shafts/stairwells forming.

Looking SW from Carothers Parkway, near intersection with Southstar Drive:

Carothers Crossing, May 0, 2020.jpg

• Like 1