Surrounding Counties - Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, Maury, etc.

Rural King

Sounds like NASCAR went to Dover Motorsports and told them they would only get one race from now on (as they've rumored that they were wanting to take some of the "double races" and spread them out to smaller tracks).  I guess Dover decided that since they already have the Superspeedway (did they not sell it?)...their 2nd best way to go was to give their 2nd race to Nashville as a compromise?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Wait, so they're letting a rival have a Nashville race so they can get money to renovate the Fairgrounds to have a Nashville race.

803.png

Clearly what we need is a midweek race at the Fairgrounds followed by a full race weekend at the superspeedway.

Or... downtown street circuit

Yeah... I'm not sure about that strategy.  NASCAR should never have left Middle Tennessee, but it's my sense there's only capacity for one major race there. The 'sport' is stagnant and has been for years now. It obviously grew too fast and far to markets that didn't value it like those in its 'home turf', and maybe Nashville is a beneficiary of their contraction. I think it'd be best to stay out at Wilson County. 

This may ultimately play out very well for Dover IMHO. Dover International Speedway was probably going to be on the chopping block to lose one of it's races anyways once NASCAR goes through it contract renegotiation in the next couple years. While NASCAR grew quickly through the 90's and early 2000's the sport definitely had it's hiccups. I for one still HATE the chase (playoffs), but they have been moving in a direction to reclaim not only its roots as a sport, but are working on diversifying their bases. If they continue to run on tracks that are far outside the urban areas, they really are not going to achieve that. I could see an eventual date when NASCAR has dates at each track. Similarly, I could see a scenario where the Cup cars run on the superspeedway (which really it isn't a superspeedway) and the trucks and xfinity cars run the fairgrounds. They did this for years with Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Indianapolis Raceway Park. 

I really hope this maneuver works to get a ticket tax implemented, as it could help not just the Fairgrounds speedway, but this could be applied to all major sporting events so the city has a dedicated revenue stream to assist with upgrades (ie Nissan Stadium?). I'm not a fan of using general fund money (or even bonds if we have to worry about debt service), but having a dedicated revenue stream could really give the city something to fall back on in terms of capping how much they can "help" these really wealthy owners with their venues.

NASCAR is probably going to move away from having two dates at the same track for certain venues in favor of getting back to diverse racing conditions, but also getting back to their roots. Beyond the Fairgrounds, there are currently big pushes to get back North Wilkesboro and Rockingham speedways.

For all the rumors out there floating around, I really don't see a street race coming to NASCAR anytime soon. 

• Like 4

Facebook has now purchased all of the land it needs for its massive Data Center in Gallatin. They bought the final chunk this week for $4.8 million, bringing their total investment on the 800 acres to $19.9 million.

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/06/05/deal-dash-facebook-data-center-real-estate.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

• Like 4

Beazer house builder has a contract on 222 acres at 6775 Hickory Ridge Rd in Lebanon for 700-775 homes.  They hope to have the first homes completed in late 2021. 

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/wilson/2020/06/05/beazer-aims-build-700-new-houses-lebanon-near-40-and-s-r-109/3153285001/

Information pulled from an interesting SportingNews article talking about how NASCAR got  a race to Nashville, but at the wrong track....

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nascar/news/nashville-nascar-race-track/1w0yfyfpip6711mdagxv1ull3e

Some highlights from the article:

• Speedway is in "good shape" and would need some modernization costing in the range of 8 to 10 million dollars.
  • Disappointment around the garage and sport's media circles about adding another intermediate track.
  • Quote from Speedway Motorsports’ president and CEO Marcus Smith: "Our efforts to work with state and local government officials to revive the historic Nashville Fairgrounds Speedway will continue. We believe that the beloved short track in downtown Nashville provides tremendous opportunity to be a catalyst for year-round tourism and entertainment development.”

According to Bob Pockrass, some purse / sanction fees and revenue information has been released:

image.png.aa038a836f771accafb80c36061df87c.png

There are still concerns about the use of the track including from one of the most popular drivers in the sport:

image.png.eeb877a37797a29a8a2b794fe705f8e3.png

Edited by Bos2Nash
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, FranklinTn said:

They’re building a lot of high quality stuff all over the city. Most of the development is aimed towards walk ability, even though I think Berry Farms has way too much surface parking. 

I also wish the much older Franklin residents would stop with the “Keep Franklin, Franklin” mantra. If it weren’t for them you’d see buildings taller than 12 stories in Franklin. The old Franklin is long gone—population nearing 100,000.

Welcome @FranklinTn! I think we'll agree on that; however, those folks have protected the downtown square very well (and Carter House). The result of those efforts have paid big dividends for the city, making it a jewel in the Nashville area 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, LA_TN said:

Welcome @FranklinTn! I think we'll agree on that; however, those folks have protected the downtown square very well (and Carter House). The result of those efforts have paid big dividends for the city, making it a jewel in the Nashville area 

Thanks.

i can respect the preservation of the downtown area. The height limit in Cool Springs and Berry Farms is what agitates me.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:
  • Disappointment around the garage and sport's media circles about adding another intermediate track.

As much as I hate to say it, moving a Dover date (usually an interesting or at least unique race ) to the superspeedway is a downgrade. The only thing the track has going for it from a racing perspective is the surface.

• Thanks 1