Surrounding Counties - Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, Maury, etc.

Rural King

On 2/17/2022 at 4:31 PM, markhollin said:

Dickson County: Dale Tile has pledged $140 million for an existing 250,000 sq. ft. QuadGraphics manufacturing facility by Dec. 2023 that will create another 245 jobs.

Also, a new county health dept. will be built in Dickson with a $6.5 million grant.

And the historic Dickson County Courthouse (circa 1830) is being set for a renovation that could include a museum for the county.

A county-wide growth and transportation plan is being considered for growth over the next 40 years. 

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/dickson/2022/02/17/mayor-dickson-dal-tile-expanding-hwy-46-widening-new-facility/6828634001/

Dickson Co. has some potential, but too bad the landscape is too rugged. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MagicPotato said:

Dickson Co. has some potential, but too bad the landscape is too rugged. 

Oh yeah, DC has always been the "rugged" western outpost of the metro area (we still like our boots and hats, and not in fashionably ironic way). It is definitely behind the curve but that is slowly changing as you can see the growth happening now, albeit mostly people priced out of Davidson and Williamson counties. Its funny though, the city of Dickson almost serves as a hub for other surrounding counties, it isn't a micropolitan but it serves many of the same purposes. It is the last "large" stop between Nashville and Jackson. So this brings up the topic of "ring cities" that surround Nashville but play another role as hubs for the further out counties.  Is that a thing?

• Like 3

I actually get what you're saying Memphian.  I went to Dickson only a few times in the early 1990s (not since 2000)... and (on one hand) it seemed so far out in the hinterlands, and (OTOH) it has been "closed in" by suburban Nashville. I always thought it was at a great location (like Lebanon on the 'far east' of the metro) for small-to-medium manufacturing and "exurban" housing.   Maybe that's not such an insightful opinion, but I think it stands to gain a lot of manufacturing and basic growth as Nashville moves "out".  I'm starting to think that Dickson (and a few other smaller towns) may be the last "Mayberrys" in the Nashville MSA.  OK folks I haven't overlooked Ashland City and Springfield, but Dickson has a certain "outlying" feel to it (IMHO).  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

I like the looks of all of these 'new-urbanist' style mixed used developments going up in and around Franklin, and they are clearly far and away better than the traditional sprawly alternative.  However, they all seem to be very insular, inward facing communities unto themselves, and it doesn't seem like any of them really make any attempt to connect with and be cohesive with anything surrounding it to create a larger neighborhood.  

If we are being honest. The street design in many areas of Cool Springs (specifically around this project) almost require it. The road is designed for suburban office parks and inward facing structures. There is nothing human scale at the street and as a result, the larger projects turn their back on the street in order to create a nice atmosphere for humans to interact in. This also presents the problem for smaller developers. Either they have to face their building on to an uncomfortable street, or they have to risk a shit ton more to go big so they can create a development big enough to turn inward.

It is amazing just how much the street design can impact a building.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

I actually get what you're saying Memphian.  I went to Dickson only a few times in the early 1990s (not since 2000)... and (on one hand) it seemed so far out in the hinterlands, and (OTOH) it has been "closed in" by suburban Nashville. I always thought it was at a great location (like Lebanon on the 'far east' of the metro) for small-to-medium manufacturing and "exurban" housing.   Maybe that's not such an insightful opinion, but I think it stands to gain a lot of manufacturing and basic growth as Nashville moves "out".  I'm starting to think that Dickson (and a few other smaller towns) may be the last "Mayberrys" in the Nashville MSA.  OK folks I haven't overlooked Ashland City and Springfield, but Dickson has a certain "outlying" feel to it (IMHO).  

It has its own identity and it has the ability to be looped into the metro; that is kind of the best of two worlds. Definitely a sleeper city/area that is just beginning to stir before it wakes up. On the map it has quick access to Nashville, Clarksville, Franklin, and, thanks to 840, Murfreesboro. You can travel to Memphis, Southern Indiana or North Alabama/Mississippi/Georgia in roughly 2.5 hours which gives it a good location. We just need a few more retail options, another major supermarket would be nice.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Williamson County: June Lake (775 acre mixed-use with 2,900 residential units, 3.9 million sq. ft. of office space, nearly 1.3 million sq. ft. of retail, and 400 hotel rooms) in Spring Hill is starting its first section of homes.

Construction on the Buckner Road extension and interchange will be starting soon as well. There's EPSC up on the western segment of roadway, should start seeing dirt move next week.

• Like 2

On 2/22/2022 at 5:39 PM, MLBrumby said:

I'm starting to think that Dickson (and a few other smaller towns) may be the last "Mayberrys" in the Nashville MSA.  OK folks I haven't overlooked Ashland City and Springfield, but Dickson has a certain "outlying" feel to it (IMHO).  

Springfield has too much drug use to feel like Mayberry. :( 

Sumner County:  Hendersonville's proposed 74 acre Goat Farm (mixed-use, including a twin ice rink being co-developed by the Predators, commercial office, retail, restaurant, residential and an approximately 140-room hotel) is seeking a tax increment incentive.

More at The Hendersonville Standard here:

https://www.hendersonvillestandard.com/news/tax-increment-incentive-sought-for-ice-center-development/article_01231f90-9431-11ec-9f99-3b8dd9403d11.html#:~:text=An estimated %24200 million development with an ice,the project that includes a tax increment incentive.

363802714_ScreenShot2022-02-25at8_18_01AM.png

• Like 4

On 2/23/2022 at 8:57 AM, Bos2Nash said:

If we are being honest. The street design in many areas of Cool Springs (specifically around this project) almost require it. The road is designed for suburban office parks and inward facing structures. There is nothing human scale at the street and as a result, the larger projects turn their back on the street in order to create a nice atmosphere for humans to interact in. This also presents the problem for smaller developers. Either they have to face their building on to an uncomfortable street, or they have to risk a crap ton more to go big so they can create a development big enough to turn inward.

It is amazing just how much the street design can impact a building.

City planners in that area would do well to visit the Reston/Herndon Virginia area outside of Washington, DC.  Probably 20 years ago, that area was being developed in the same manner as the Brentwood/Franklin corridor is today.  Mostly business parks with roads that weren't designed to address the overall aesthetic of the area.  But as Reston in particular shifted to more a town center plan, development changed.  Streets changed to be more like a small city grid where possible.  Office towers in the 15-20 story range started popping up.  Those buildings started addressing their total surroundings far better.  They have in essence developed a corridor of mixed use facilities along a major stretch of highway (Dulles Toll Road) that expands about 3 miles.  The core of the Reston Town Center is literally like a micro-city.   Just looking at a satellite view of the Cool Springs Galleria area as a whole, I don't see how that could be accomplished today.   Not without tearing down the mall and using that land to build a town center concept similar to Reston and shifting to street level retail/dinning with office, hotel and residential towers above.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PillowTalk4 said:

City planners in that area would do well to visit the Reston/Herndon Virginia area outside of Washington, DC.  Probably 20 years ago, that area was being developed in the same manner as the Brentwood/Franklin corridor is today.  Mostly business parks with roads that weren't designed to address the overall aesthetic of the area.  But as Reston in particular shifted to more a town center plan, development changed.  Streets changed to be more like a small city grid where possible.  Office towers in the 15-20 story range started popping up.  Those buildings started addressing their total surroundings far better.  They have in essence developed a corridor of mixed use facilities along a major stretch of highway (Dulles Toll Road) that expands about 3 miles.  The core of the Reston Town Center is literally like a micro-city.   Just looking at a satellite view of the Cool Springs Galleria area as a whole, I don't see how that could be accomplished today.   Not without tearing down the mall and using that land to build a town center concept similar to Reston and shifting to street level retail/dinning with office, hotel and residential towers above.

Reston/Herndon are also proof in the pudding of the "build it and they will come" concept behind the development of the Silver Line. If Nashville had anything even remotely similar to the Metro, I think we'd see a lot more incentive to build dense, walkable developments. But so long as the only option to commute (unless you live and work right next to a Star stop) is driving, Nashville will never see this dense satellite-city style of development, let alone one that allows for reverse commuting.

That being said, Reston/Herndon and especially Tysons Corner still have a LONG way to go before I'd really call them walkable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

Reston/Herndon are also proof in the pudding of the "build it and they will come" concept behind the development of the Silver Line. If Nashville had anything even remotely similar to the Metro, I think we'd see a lot more incentive to build dense, walkable developments. But so long as the only option to commute (unless you live and work right next to a Star stop) is driving, Nashville will never see this dense satellite-city style of development, let alone one that allows for reverse commuting.

That being said, Reston/Herndon and especially Tysons Corner still have a LONG way to go before I'd really call them walkable.

I don't disagree.  However, the Reston Town Center took off well before the Silver Line.  But the continuation of development after the Silver Line in Reston can be contributed to its existence. 

The central portion of the Reston Town Center is quite walkable.  Tysons and Herndon not so much.  Quite frankly, I doubt that they ever will be unless there is a major sell off of older residential and even some commercial properties that will be redeveloped to fill the gaps between new developments.  The layout of existing streets also plays a role in achieving walkability and I just don't see that changing significantly in Tysons or Herndon.  To bring this back to the Cool Springs area, I think that is much of the same issue there as well.   Even if the Nashville Metro region agreed to a mass transit rail system, it would need to still tie into a localized bus system to be effective as the current layout of the Cool Springs area is not conducive to creating a walkable environment from a single line rail system into that area.  Keep in mind much of the DC Metro system is designed primarily to reduce traffic in and out of DC, not to eliminate traffic in the suburbs nor to create walkable communities outside of DC.   The Metro System does not split into smaller localized lines outside of DC.  Should the Nashville Metro area ever build a rail transit system it would probably be similar in functionality.

• Like 1

Dickson County: Eubank Asphalt and Paving was approved by the county commission for the work on Two Mile Road. The work is being paid for Titan Partners as part of the county’s settlement with Titan, which is building a 500 acre fuel terminal at the SW corner of the I-40/I-840 interchange.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/dickson/2022/03/01/dickson-county-approves-local-company-road-fuel-terminal/6942636001/

Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 8.00.04 AM.png

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Dickson County: Several new townhome projects are percolating.

1) White Bluff will be a 70 unit development on Hwy 47.

2) Timber Crest will be a 42 unit project on Hwy 47 next to F&M Bank.

3) Eagles Nest will be a 36 unit development on Carriage Way, just south of Hwy. 70.

4) East Forge will be an 18 unit project in the Bell Forge subdivision.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/dickson/2022/03/02/multiple-white-bluff-townhome-developments-underway/9322972002/

• Like 3

Sumner County: Goodlettsville has approved  a new zoning classification that could lead to an industrial building plan on Highway 31W off Interstate 65. Company Al. Neyer requested a rezoning of just over 26 acres for a several hundred thousand sq. ft. warehouse/industrial space.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/sumner/2022/03/03/new-zoning-class-may-precede-bwill-approval-of-new-zoning-class-preuilding-plans-31-w-goodlettsville/6927796001/

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 9:06 AM, markhollin said:

Dickson County: Eubank Asphalt and Paving was approved by the county commission for the work on Two Mile Road. The work is being paid for Titan Partners as part of the county’s settlement with Titan, which is building a 500 acre fuel terminal at the SW corner of the I-40/I-840 interchange.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/dickson/2022/03/01/dickson-county-approves-local-company-road-fuel-terminal/6942636001/

I've been curious about this project ever since I saw the tank farm going up next to the interstate. Do you have any idea how they plan on connecting it to I-40/840? Surely they're not sending the associated traffic down to Highway 46...that area is already pretty overburdened with truck traffic. Totally spitballing here, but I assume that the proximity to the pipeline and perhaps the geology of the location is why they chose this particular spot, but it also seems like it was chosen out of proximity to the interstate junction, which would imply a potential future construction of an interstate exit (a la the new exit servicing the VW warehouse and H.T. Hackney west of Knoxville).

Wilson County: Central Logistics Park East will be a two warehouse complex with a combined 491,400 sq. ft. of space on 40 acres at I-840 and Central Pike in Lebanon. Stonelake Capital Partners is the developer, and just secured a $36.25 million loan to begin construction in 2 weeks. 

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/02/25/stonelake-capital-lebanon.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_34&cx_artPos=8#cxrecs_s

Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 11.12.42 AM.png

• Like 2

Williamson County: Franklin will have a new 2 story mixed-use project at 249 Fourth Ave. North w/ 16,000 sq. ft. of office and personal service spaces. 906 Studio Architects will take up the 2nd floor as their new HQ.  It is scheduled to be complete by fall of this year.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/new-mixed-use-building-in-downtown-franklin-set-for-fall-2022/article_40c6894a-4ea6-5775-ae07-586cca2b8826.html

Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 12.57.03 PM.png

• Like 2