Surrounding Counties - Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, Maury, etc.

Rural King

Maury County: Executives from General Motors Co. (NYSE: GM), South Korea-based LG Energy Solution and Gov. Bill Lee will make "an economic development announcement" at 2:30 p.m. Friday at the Tennessee State Museum.

The announcement pertains to the Ultium Cells LLC manufacturing plant now being built in Spring Hill, about 35 miles south of Nashville, on GM's longtime campus in Maury County. Ultium Cells is the name of the joint venture between GM and LG Energy Solution that will make batteries to power GM electric vehicles such as the Cadillac Lyriq SUV, which is being made at GM's Spring Hill factory.

The scope of the expansion was not immediately clear.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/12/02/ultium-cells-spring-hill-gm-lg-announcement.html

• Like 3

Although it’s good news for Maury County, find it hard to figure how GM can contribute anything as they are very close to another bankruptcy. They can’t even build vehicles with all the standard equipment that they are supposed to have. Guy I know was just told the Denali he’s been waiting for for six months, doesn’t even have cruise control! That company is just disastrous!! 

• Like 2

Williamson County: Franklin's Board of Alderman are continuing to debate the complete rebuild of City Hall (3 stories, about 90,000 sq. ft.) on the square.  New diagram released. 

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/williamson/2022/12/02/will-franklin-city-hall-happen-leaders-debate-location-cost/69683261007/

Franklin City Hall, Dec 2, 2022, diagram.png

• Like 4

So someone just showed me a article that says ,Murfreesboro is no 3 for growth nationaly . In everyone’s honest and professional opinions, how long until we see major developments including high rise come to the Boro? I know there’s lots of open land, but the price of property is higher . It would be cool to see a few over 15 story buildings along  I-24 or I-840. 

• Like 3

Rutherford County: Murfreesboro will see Ascension Saint Thomas build a 4 story, 102,000 sq. ft., $60 million  medical office building to house a cancer center with groundbreaking in 2023. It will include a 5 story garage that will be shared with the main hospital campus that should be open by 2024.

More at Murfreesboro Post here:

https://www.murfreesboropost.com/news/ascension-saint-thomas-rutherford-plans-to-add-cancer-treatment-center-in-murfreesboro/article_7db0164a-7256-11ed-80d5-4b0e33c98d4d.html?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NASH_12.05.2022_DEC&utm_term=NASHtoday: Subscribers - MASTER

And at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/12/05/ascension-saint-thomas-rutherford-plans-60m-office.html

Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 3.15.54 PM.png

• Like 4

Williamson County:  The 775 acre June Lake project will start work on Solstice by June Lake (ten 2 & 3 story buildings with 227 units. The first of 3 phases should be done by the end of 2023

Over the next 20+ years, June Lake will include over 2,900 residential units, 3.9 million square feet of Class A office space, nearly 1.3 million square feet of retail and restaurant space and 400 hotel rooms. Earlier this year Hy-Vee announced its first TN grocery store will be at June Lake.

More at NashvilleNowNext here:

https://nashvillenownext.com/2022/12/06/work-starts-on-the-227-unit-solstice-at-june-lake-in-spring-hill/

Solstice by June Lake, Dec 6, 2022, render 1.png

Solstice by June Lake, Dec 6, 2022, render 2.png

Solstice by June Lake, Dec 6, 2022, render 3.png

June Lake, Dec 6, 2022, site diagram.png

• Like 4

CRG, a national real estate development and investment firm, announced it has closed on a 200-acre property in Lebanon, Tenn., that can accommodate 2.8 million square feet of state-of-the-art industrial facilities. The project, branded as The Cubes at Sparta Pike, is located 30 miles east of downtown Nashville. At full buildout, the industrial park will comprise four buildings ranging in size from approximately 250,000 square feet to 1.4 million square feet, serving a range of users that will benefit from the accessible location and amenities offered by the city of Lebanon. The address is 1526-1846 Sparta Pike.

More at NashvilleNowNext here:

https://nashvillenownext.com/2022/12/07/developer-crg-enters-nashville-market-with-2-8m-sf-industrial-park-in-lebanon/#more-23651

Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 4.47.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 4.50.31 PM.png

• Like 3

Sumner County: Gallatin will see Station Commons, a 32 acre indoor sports complex including some commercial structures and 2. hotels at 190 Big Station Camp Blvd at the corner of Hwy. 386. The primary sports complex will cover 100,450 sq. ft.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/sumner/gallatin/2022/12/07/station-commons-seeks-to-build-a-youth-sports-complex-in-gallatin/69696294007/

Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 6.37.37 AM.png

• Like 4

Montgomery County was recently ranked as the fourth most attractive in the U.S. for new talent in a study released by Lightcast (formerly Emsi Burning Glass), an Idaho-based labor market analytics firm.

The ranking shows the county has continued to grow. In 2021, Montgomery was the sixth most attractive market, a huge step up from the year before, when it was 115th.

The top three communities according to the study are Phoenix, Dallas and Austin.

The Lightcast annual Economic Development Attraction Scorecard study measures how counties develop their talent pool based on migration data, job growth, educational attainment, skilled jobs and job openings per capita.

The community has seen 28% growth in educational attainment, a 10% rise in jobs, a 15% rise in skilled jobs and the highest percentage migration change from 2016 to 2020.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/12/08/montgomery-county-talent-attraction-lightcast.html

• Like 2

Maury County: The U.S. Department of Energy announced the closing of a $2.5 billion loan for Ultium Cells LLC (a partnership of GM and LG) on Monday. The loan will help Ultium finance ongoing construction of Ultium's battery factory in Spring Hill, as well as sister operations in Ohio and Michigan.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/12/12/ultium-cells-doe-battery-loan-tn-oh-mi-atvm.html

• Like 3

Someone who has access behind these paywalls, does it mention what happens to this Ultium project if GM goes under? Is it a separate entity that can continue to supply other companies? I say this because I just did a favor for a friend , and made a truck delivery to a dealership. The manager there ( in Ohio) told me that GM’s days are numbered if they don’t get their sh&@ together! And I just seen a article that the company is very close to bankruptcy AGAIN ! I hope if they crash , they don’t get bailed out again. 

Rutherford County: Stonemont Commerce Park 840 will be built on 157 acres near Murfreesboro at 4543 Sulphur Springs Rd.  It will include on e structure of 1.17 million sq. ft. of space, 40' height, 276 trailer stalls; another building of 273,000 sq. ft. and 76 trailer stalls.  Stonemont Financial Group is the developer.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/notes-wedgewood-houston-project-lands-22m-permit/article_afd002ea-7c9f-11ed-88d0-83cc9c3bade3.html

• Like 2

Sumner County: Hendersonville is the new location of Rhythm Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram dealership on 18 acres at West Main and Center Point South. It will feature a 54,767 sq. ft. structure, and should be open by early 2024. It is relocating from Madison.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/sumner/hendersonville/2022/12/22/rhythm-auto-dealership-to-move-from-madison-to-hendersonville/69745430007/

Rhythm Chrysler, Hendersonville, Dec 23, 2022, render 1.png

Rhythm Chrysler, Hendersonville, Dec 23, 2022, render 2.png

Rhythm Chrysler, Hendersonville, Dec 23, 2022.png

• Like 3

Williamson County: Franklin's Goldberg Companies mixed-use (6 stories, 426 apartments, 148,000 sq. ft. of office space, 170 room hotel, internal garages, $150 million) update: topped out.

Looking NW from intersection of Carothers Parkway and Southstar Drive:

Goldberg Companies, Franklin, Dec 22, 2022, 1.jpeg

Looking NE from Huffines Ridge Drive, 1/2 block north of Liberty Pike:

Goldberg Companies, Franklin, Dec 22, 2022, 2.jpeg

• Like 3

On 12/23/2022 at 10:00 AM, PillowTalk4 said:

Not a professional opinion, just my two cents :).  I think the bigger question is, does Murfreesboro have a desire to build taller?  Has there been any evidence to suggest that the city want developers to build 15-25 story buildings?  I just don't think the mentality of the surrounding counties that are part of the metro area of Nashville want to build towers.  I think Murfreesboro and Brentwood/Franklin areas would be ideal for town centers that include buildings that are 15-25 stories.  Much like the Tyson's Corner and Reston Town Center areas in northern VA which is northwest of Washington, DC.   Those areas have taken off over the last 15 years.  They now have multiple 20+ story office and residential buildings.  The Tysons area has a couple of 30 story buildings now.  It's really nice driving along I-495 in the Tysons area and the Dulles Toll Road leading out to Reston and beyond is just amazing now.  Especially now that the Metro rail system goes into those areas.  Reston and Herndon have really embraced developing around the Metro stations in the area.

These are developments incorporated into two of the Metro stations in Reston.

News - Reston StationReston, VA - The Skyscraper Center

Reston is certainly an area that proves that you can live and work in the suburb of a major metropolitan area and have all the amenities that go along with city living at your door steps.  I used to work in the Reston Town Center and I almost moved to the area.  But it wasn't convenient for my better half.  What they've accomplished is creating a city-ish environment while still maintaining community.    Murfreesboro could easily be built up like the Reston Town Center if the desire is there.  It would really be worth a visit for city leaders to see how they could grow Murfreesboro and still maintain a quality of life that is community and family friendly.

Agreed with all your points.

Town & county leaders don't want that level of growth, and really the area doesn't need it as long as Nashville has enough land to develop this form (midtown currently, East Bank next, then converting industrial land, either east along  Lebanon Pike or in South Nashville inside 440 along Murfreesboro & Nolensville Pikes). Middle TN is more likely to get 15+ story buildings in transit-oriented development at our dead malls (Crossings, Rivergate) than we are to get them in ring counties. The other development pattern I would expect is converting office parks into mixed-use neighborhoods, like this in Carmel, IN, or the proposed East Works District on Carothers Parkway in Franklin.

If Nashville sticks to 2016's NashvilleNext development plan, there's a lot of opportunity to build in the red and orange areas on this map. image.thumb.png.2c19d94a30de0dc4401b3b9a9f5b9cc5.png

Edited by andywildman
typos + NashvilleNext map
  • Like 2

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I tend to agree that for some reason, the ring counties really don’t have the desire to develop in this manner. But I think if this area remains in a upward projection of population, that sooner then later it will happen. Just as PillowTalk4 mentioned about Tyson’s and Reston Town Center and I think like the area in and around the 75-285 interchange in Smyrna Georgia, Murfreesboro and Cool Springs and even parts of Wilson County along the interstate are ripe for development of 15-20 stories. It seems to me , that the vast majority of home grown Tennessean’s just can’t wrap their minds around (nor do they want to )the fact of what is taking place. That Nashville and it’s surrounding areas are the hot market right now, that the places they live are ever changed, and growth is inevitable.