Surrounding Counties - Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, Maury, etc.

Rural King

Sumner County: Gallatin will see their initial FirstBank branch on 1.44 acres at 220 Maharris Drive as part of the Shops at Windsong center.  The bank purchased the land for $1.42 million.

More behind The Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/notes-metro-oks-two-major-projects/article_eaf91b2a-c369-11ed-8f86-770025ec6af3.html

M/I Homes Nashville has begun development on four new Middle Tennessee communities which will collectively add over 340 single-family homes to the region’s inventory:

Sumner County: 32 homes in the Carrellton subdivision community, which is located at the intersection of Long Hollow Pike and Big Station Camp Road.

Wilson County: Lebanon will see Hawk's Landing, and 11.2-acre property on Carver Lane with 32 single family homes.

Maury County: Columbia will see Waterford on 43 acres at the intersection of Pulaski Highway and Morrow Lane, with 125 single-family homes and approximately 65 townhomes; and  Silver Springs on 46 acres near the intersection of Butler Road and Carters Creek Station Road, that will have 84 single-family homes. 

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2023/03/16/mihomes-communities-nashville-gallatin-lebanon.html

• Like 1

Oh, I definitely know why. I’m just stating that’s the problem! Same ole - same ole , just keep doing the same mundane things. That’s the reason for suburban sprawl, car centric stuck in yesterday thinking . We need compact dense town centers , with some form of interconnected transit . Which would leave more open green space, and help reduce greenhouse gases and rising temperatures

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Luvemtall said:

Oh, I definitely know why. I’m just stating that’s the problem! Same ole - same ole , just keep doing the same mundane things. That’s the reason for suburban sprawl, car centric stuck in yesterday thinking . We need compact dense town centers , with some form of interconnected transit . Which would leave more open green space, and help reduce greenhouse gases and rising temperatures

Yep yep yep. But even with parking garages, that still encourages driving, but would obviously make suburbia less of a sea of asphalt. That’s why I get frustrated seeing all these parking podiums in Nashville. Not only are they ugly, but they’re encouraging driving in the place it should be discouraged the most! I get the transit sucks, but if you made people’s lives in the core miserable because they couldn’t get anywhere fast, then I’m sure there’d be more of an emphasis on a new transit plan. That’s also why I’m kinda happy the downtown loop hasn’t been upgraded in years. Keep it miserable IMO. Since it’s so horrible to drive, hopefully that’ll make people drive on it less in the future as it continues to worsen and choose to walk, bike, or take transit. That’s obviously a perfect scenario I know…

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

This was a good strategic move on Costco’s part, right across the interstate is Lebanon city limits, so they basically get position right between both cities. Only thing negative is asphalt desert for 800 cars, can’t they build structured parking above the store?

Def should have built this instead https://www.costar.com/article/899472246/new-costco-design-with-apartments-overhead-has-property-brokers-buzzing

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, sambo said:

Yes! That’s what I’m thinking. On five acres , they will get a Costco AND 800 living units plus you know there’s a parking garage for at least a few . Instead of a Costco and 10 plus acres of asphalt, this is forward thinking and great land use planning. And it just doesn’t need to be confined to urban areas, my point exactly. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, UrbanWes03 said:

hopefully that’ll make people drive on it less in the future as it continues to worsen and choose to walk, bike, or take transit.

Even biking and walking is challenging at the moment given the endless street work. My bike route from home to the dam is now like traversing defensive lines: 2nd Ave N, 1st Avenue N from Riverside Condos down to Church, all torn up and closed. Riding down 3rd is perilous.

15 hours ago, UrbanWes03 said:

I get the transit sucks,

Curiously, I have a friend who recently moved here from suburban Phoenix and who’s currently living in South Nashville who thinks WeGo is great. He travels all over town on it.

• Like 1

I know this is very vague, but a credo of sorts that I have had to adopt in my career is "Time, Place, Manner". I first heard this approach in my US History class in high school, but find it very fitting to the AEC industry. That link for the mixed use Costco is great, but it is also in Los Angeles, one of the hardest cities to get anything built in. While I agree that we all want developers to be more conscious about open space and existing greenery, the financials just don't align to it. That is why stormwater, street trees, parking islands are all included in development standards to try and soften the harshness of the development. 

Not every location is urban or could support an urban development. There will always need to be a balance struck between the two. Middle TN has not quite found it yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

I know this is very vague, but a credo of sorts that I have had to adopt in my career is "Time, Place, Manner". I first heard this approach in my US History class in high school, but find it very fitting to the AEC industry. That link for the mixed use Costco is great, but it is also in Los Angeles, one of the hardest cities to get anything built in. While I agree that we all want developers to be more conscious about open space and existing greenery, the financials just don't align to it. That is why stormwater, street trees, parking islands are all included in development standards to try and soften the harshness of the development. 

Not every location is urban or could support an urban development. There will always need to be a balance struck between the two. Middle TN has not quite found it yet.

Point taken, and I agree with your over-arching premise.  But I'm not even talking "urban" development necessarily in the case of a place like Mount Juliet.  Heck, at this point I'd just settle for development that wasn't egregiously inefficient.  With many of the single family home developments in particular in Middle Tennessee it almost appears as though developers are going out of their way to make them as lazily and as wasteful as possible.  Of course, it would be unfair for me to lay all blame at the feet of developers.  Municipalities share a large piece of the responsibility as well and don't help matters with their massive parking minimums and goofy street layouts and so forth.  I don't know what the answer is.  There is no magic bullet of course.  It's going to take a lot of time and effort and perhaps even money to reprogram the way the general public thinks about suburban development.  All I know is, the effort needs to start, like yesterday.  In anycase, this is more or less just an 'old man yells at cloud' moment from me, so thank you for indulging me.  😁

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

No amount of “reprogramming” (or reeducation or brainwashing) is ever going to make everyone want to live the way you want them to live. I’ll invoke the old expression, “different strokes for different folks.”  Some people love the rural lifestyle, some prefer the suburban way of life, and some others wouldn’t even consider anything other than an urban life. It’s okay for a society to have variety. Live and let live.

Oh goodness.  My man did you really just use the terms "brainwashing" and "reeducation" in reference to someone suggesting we reduce parking minimums and be more thoughtful about street layouts?  You don't think that might be a tad bit dramatic?  Lol.  Just go ahead and substitute whatever word you would feel comfortable with that also means 'people becoming accustomed to a different way of doing things.'   I don't mind.

I suppose I should thank you for illustrating another part of the problem that wasn't mentioned, which is that, especially in this area, anytime anyone so much as suggests we revisit the suburban development formula there is always a certain percentage of people who will react very loudly and very reflexively to that suggestion without really even taking a moment to actually reflect on what was said.  They start having fever dream freakouts about 'being forced to live in a government commie block,' or something to that effect, and then the discussion just sort of stalls and goes nowhere .  Ironically the current suburban sprawl model those folks supposedly want to protect involves more than it's fair share of top down bureaucracy itself, but that seems to be lost on those wanting to defend said model.    

Notice that not once did I suggest that people shouldn't be able to 'live how they want' or suggest that people shouldn't live in suburbia or single family homes if they so desire.  Heck I even went out of my way to emphasize that one would be a fool to suggest that urban core levels of density be applied to places like Mt. Juliet.  But nevertheless the implication made was that I was basically suggesting exactly that.  What gives?

All I'm actually saying is that in the interest of protecting our natural areas, and reducing peoples' travel times, and making infrastructure more efficient and cost effective (I could go on,) I wish that we could go from community to community and just revisit all the various suburban design guidelines and rules already in place and make an attempt to make them better and more thoughtful.  Probably pie in the sky on my part though.

Again, I absolutely agree that if people prefer to live in a single family home with a yard on a quiet suburban street, that they should absolutely, undoubtedly be free to do that.  But does that mean that vision necessarily has to come in the form of a sprawling subdivision of nearly identical tract houses with randomly meandering streets to nowhere full of dead ends, with only one entry and exit point, with no sidewalks or curbs, where the trees are clear cut and it takes fifteen minutes just to drive the kids to their school even though its just two miles away as the crow flies?  Does that mean that vision necessarily has to come in the form of giant insular big block stores each surrounded by more parking than a Six Flags built along an eight lane superhighway that accommodates nothing but car traffic?  I don't think that it does.  I don't think we should change the way anyone wants to live.  I just think we should make our communities function better, for the sake of all of us. 

Anyway, sorry for the rant.  I'm good for about one anti-sprawl rant per quarter.  Lol... carry on!  

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wilson County:  Mount Juliet will see Leon's Famous Deli, The Peach Cobbler Factory and Maniac’s Restaurant join the businesses at Charlie’s Place, on the west side of North Mt. Juliet Road. The development was named to honor music icon Charlie Daniels, who lived in Wilson County.

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/wilson/mt-juliet/2023/03/29/more-restaurants-announced-for-charlies-place-in-mt-juliet/70058124007/

• Like 3

What I can’t get over is the fact that Mr Charlie Daniel’s home , was and is in the Gladeville area east of I-840. I’ve been there and am good friends with his next door neighbor. Both their properties have a Lebanon address , but yet still Mt Juliet takes pride in trying to make people think otherwise. Just like they do when they say certain projects along I-840 are Mt Juliet when indeed they are not. I was at the City Council meeting when Loves Travel Center got approved from the City of Lebanon, yet Mt Juliet says it’s there. I’m not a big fan of Mt Juliet at all, and I think they overstep their boundaries a bit to much . 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Luvemtall said:

What I can’t get over is the fact that Mr Charlie Daniel’s home , was and is in the Gladeville area east of I-840. I’ve been there and am good friends with his next door neighbor. Both their properties have a Lebanon address , but yet still Mt Juliet takes pride in trying to make people think otherwise. Just like they do when they say certain projects along I-840 are Mt Juliet when indeed they are not. I was at the City Council meeting when Loves Travel Center got approved from the City of Lebanon, yet Mt Juliet says it’s there. I’m not a big fan of Mt Juliet at all, and I think they overstep their boundaries a bit to much . 

I’m not disputing your post, but even Charlie Daniels’ obituary indicates his ranch/home is in Mount Juliet. It seems he often spoke of Mount Juliet as his home. 

When not at their beloved ranch, Twin Pines, in Mt. Juliet, Tennessee, Charlie and Hazel spent most of their time touring with The Charlie Daniels Band across the country. A few months each year they would spend time at their Colorado home, where they enjoyed snowmobiling and dining with friends.”

• Thanks 1