Surrounding Counties - Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, Maury, etc.

Rural King

I know this isn't development news, but mods please allow this one time. I volunteer within Rutherford Co. for an organization called Read to Succeed. It has programs for adult literacy and ESL. Read to Succeed

They are having a fundraiser at Carrabas Italian Grill in Murfreesboro Directions to the restaurant  on Aug 24-26 from 11 AM-10 PM. each day, The restaurant has agreed to donate 20% of the total check to the organization. All you have to do is enjoy your meal and alert the sever that youre there supporting Read to Succeed. 

If you live in Rutherford Co, or just want to help an awesome organization while eating out, please come! It is appreciated! 

Event Flyer

• Like 1

Franklin Synergy Bank is planning a two story office building on the SW corner of Medical Center Parkway and Gateway Blvd. 

Honda of Murfreesboro has submitted plans to relocate. Seems they want in where other dealers have went recently. The plan calls for a dealership on John R Rice Blvd across the street from the new GM dealership. I think this is a good idea. Their current lot on S Church St cant hold all of their inventory. Some of it is housed further west on Middle TN Blvd. 

A northern greenway trailhead near Walter Hill has been proposed. In addition, a new commercial structure has been proposed to join the lonely gas station in the St Andrews neighborhood off Cason Ln. 

Edited by MetroTN

Here are a collection of articles about the Highland Ave corridor in Murfreesboro and the city's plan.. 

City envisions arts corridor on Highland

Renovations continue at MTSU’s Bell Street Building

Old medical clinic will emerge as police HQ on Highland

Regarding the Arts Corridor plan, having looked at moving to Murfreesboro at one time, I looked at the Highland/Lytle Street area closely but saw no evidence of gentrification beyond a block or two of Main Street. Hopefully, this new zoning, along with the proposed police precinct, will encourage rehabbing of much of the existing bungalow housing  stock and encourage confidence that investment in housing will be rewarded. I might take another look at it if there are signs that the local market in that area moves away from cheap student rentals to a more polished family owned housing district.

• Like 1

Regarding the Arts Corridor plan, having looked at moving to Murfreesboro at one time, I looked at the Highland/Lytle Street area closely but saw no evidence of gentrification beyond a block or two of Main Street. Hopefully, this new zoning, along with the proposed police precinct, will encourage rehabbing of much of the existing bungalow housing  stock and encourage confidence that investment in housing will be rewarded. I might take another look at it if there are signs that the local market in that area moves away from cheap student rentals to a more polished family owned housing district.

There are a couple new East Nashville like homes on Jackson St. that were formerly rundown duplexes. The city has plans to rebuild Lytle Street from the new roundabout downtown/Bridge over Broad Street project all the way to Middle Tennessee Boulevard, forming a new entrance into MTSU. The Highland Avenue area has desperately been overlooked as a vital corridor connecting downtown residents to 231 North Corridor and Highway 70 East. The old medical office strip centers/low density dental offices were missed opportunities for the city to form a much needed retail/commercial area so that residents would not have to travel to Old Fort Parkway. The Highland Avenue area from Main Street to 70 East have a few black owned businesses such as Jeff's Family Restaurant, Kleer Vu, etc. as well as a few beauty shops and churches scattered about. Greenland Drive, Highland Avenue, Lytle, East Main Street are clearly underutilized for higher density development, retail, and restaurants. Until these corridors are rezoned to allow more uses, you'll get the same stuff that is currently allowed (title loans, gas stations, metal buildings, low quality food shops).

• Like 1

Franklin update: In two short years the density of Downtown Franklin is going to be remarkable. The three new projects alone will fill large surface parking lots . H.G.Hill plans to develop it's large property in the near future as well. Some heavy hitters are working to bring commuter rail to Downtown Franklin with a station at the corner of 2nd and margin street. I wish I could say more about this but, I don't want to derail process.

• Like 2

Franklin update: In two short years the density of Downtown Franklin is going to be remarkable. The three new projects alone will fill large surface parking lots . H.G.Hill plans to develop it's large property in the near future as well. Some heavy hitters are working to bring commuter rail to Downtown Franklin with a station at the corner of 2nd and margin street. I wish I could say more about this but, I don't want to derail process.

LoL!!  I am sort of surprised to hear that this "early" in time, for Franklin,  Brings back memories when I could still ride the train to the 2nd and Margin Depot back in the mid-'60s (on the way to Lawrenceburg and Pulaski).  They even had a a whole week of steam-excursion-train stops at that depot during Nashville's bi-centennial (1779) celebration in spring 1980, running between DT Union Station and Columbia.  I rode that too of course.

I always envisioned commuter-rail for Franklin, particularly since a lot of much larger urban areas have such service to some of the more "uppety" burb communities (Woodbridge, Libertyville, St. Denis, Wellesley...).  Of course, the proactive mayor of Franklin and other "heavy hitters" still would have to work steeply uphill (if not "overhead") with CSX, even though that Columbia branch is not as heavily utilized as the main to Birmingham (S&NA North Sub-division), that it diverges from at the extreme southern end of the CSX Nashville Terminal located at the skating rink in Brentwood.
-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 2

While I'm certainly not Cool Springs's biggest fan, I am LOVING what the city of Franklin has done, and continues to do with it's downtown area.  I don't think they could have handled it any better than they have.  I'm excited to see it continue to grow as a truly URBAN destination in decidedly SUBURBAN Williamson County.

And what's this about commuter rail?? 

• Like 1

Another new office building has been proposed in the Gateway. This one is near the Gateway Island, just behind where the Fountains project has started. It has 4 floors in the proposal. This is the 5th office project in the Gateway right now proposed/UC. 

A new, 4 story Home2 Suites hotel has been proposed on N Thompson Ln just north of the Tangerine spa. 

Marti & Liz (the shoe store) has proposed a new structure also on N Thompson Ln. This would be north of the Walgreens. 

A new Camino Real (yes, another one LOL) has been proposed on Fortress, behind the Sonic, near the new Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market just west of I-24. 

Looks like the Kroger on Middle TN Blvd will be moving over to the Mercury Blvd shopping center. They will also add a fuel station there. This isnt breaking news, but seeing it on the planning agenda confirms that they want to relocate. The renderings look really good so I hope it works out. This is also the Kroger that I shop at so I want it to move for personal gain also. :D

Edited by MetroTN
  • Like 1

Some of these I touched on in a previous post...

Kroger moving Middle TN Blvd Store (Renderings)

Buzz: Commercial boom hits Gateway

Im really hoping the Marti and Liz store moves soon. The rendering looks great and that empty lot behind Walgreen is an eyesore. 

City to study tax incentives

Our downtown is capable of so much more than what is currently there. Hopefully this will help it move in that direction.