Surrounding Counties - Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, Maury, etc.

Rural King

On 10/19/2018 at 3:44 PM, markhollin said:

Oman, a 34 acre luxury home development at 900 Franklin Rd. in Brentwood, will have 21 lots.  Home prices are expected to range from $2 million to $7 million, with construction to begin in summer of 2019.

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/homes/2018/10/19/new-luxury-home-development-planned-brentwood-farmland/1651818002/

Bubble?

52 minutes ago, japan said:

Bubble?

If the buyers of those homes were locals who were trying to upscale while times are good, I would agree with the "bubble" idea, but I think there is a new buyer in town.

After hearing about Tony G's plans for Paramount, I'm wondering if this Oman development is also targeting a very high-end buyer who has been present in middle Tennessee in such large numbers before. When your personal net worth is $50 million +, buying a home for $5 million is easy.

Also, some of the people moving here from high tax states are wealthy.  Reducing their annual state income tax bill by moving to TN is a significant move for them.  It's why Alliance Bernstein is coming.

Edited by Mr_Bond

It surprises me that with such a booming population, development happening all around town, and a major university not two miles away, that downtown Murfreesboro is still more or less exactly the same sleepy place it was twenty years ago.  What's up with that?  I mean, don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying it should be filled with skyscrapers by now or anything, but with how much the city is growing you'd think there'd be some tangible progression in downtown during a time of great change for the city overall.  

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3

One problem with Murfreesboro's square is the proliferation of law office that take up all the street level retail spaces.  It's hard to build any synergy downtown when there is little retail/restaurant space available because of all the law offices.  That being said, things are slowly changing more reseraunts and retail  are  pushing there way in.  The old neighborhoods are also improving with lots of renovations and infill as well.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

It surprises me that with such a booming population, development happening all around town, and a major university not two miles away, that downtown Murfreesboro is still more or less exactly the same sleepy place it was twenty years ago.  What's up with that?  I mean, don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying it should be filled with skyscrapers by now or anything, but with how much the city is growing you'd think there'd be some tangible progression in downtown during a time of great change for the city overall.  

With the addition of Medical Center with the Avenue and other restaurants and shops nearby, there really isn't much of a reason to get to the square, plus it's not really close to the interstate, other than at 231. I will say that it has gotten better since my college days. Not really any visible changes, but the restaurant scene is notably better now. This new multi-use area that they're going to build on the old church site may be the catalyst that begins the visible change though. Honestly, I like the low key vibe that the square has, it's pretty relaxing.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NashvilleObserver said:

I don't think anyone moves to Murfreesboro expecting or wanting a vibrant fun city to live in... they're moving there for the cheaper-than-Nashville cost of living. 

I'm not even saying downtown Murfreesboro needs to be vibrant or fun.  It's just weird that it's frozen in 1985. 

• Like 2

Maplehurst Bakeries will expand it's Wilson County operations that will produce 90 new jobs and in investment of $53 million.

Wilson County has seen more than 4,000 new jobs since 2011.

More at Nashville Post here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/economic-development/article/21029308/bakery-business-to-invest-53m-in-lebanon-expansion

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Murfreesboro is an interesting city. About half of the residents will identify directly with Nashville (for instance, they will tell an non-Middle Tennessean or out-of-stater they are from Nashville). The other half will make a case for Murfreesboro's independence from Nashville. I tend to disagree; I think the Boro couldn't sustain 130,000 people without Nashville nearby, but that's their call.

I imagine the I-24 commute is a nightmare. Unless they've expanded it, most of that stretch is two lanes only. I'm not sure what the numbers are for Rutherford Co. residents commuting to Davidson is but I'm sure it's comparable to Williamson.

Murfreesboro is growing like Mesa, Arizona. It's an absolutely massive suburb. You have to go to Atlanta to see suburban cities like Murfreesboro. It's unreal.