Surrounding Counties - Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, Maury, etc.

Rural King

The truck lane from Cookeville to Monterey is needed the most and will be the most expensive, then Buffalo Valley

Correct about tunnel and extending the airport runway over I-40

Stopped at Hartman Drive only because that was a segment and gets thru the I-840 interchange. Next segment will go through Lebanon, but I don't know if that will be to 70 or a new East Hartman. Maybe some other folks here know, but not me

• Like 4

I shudder to think how long, expensive, and messy it will be to rebuild I-40 through a tunnel.   I hope I'm long retired by then so I can just avoid driving through Lebanon altogether once that gets started.  Surely it would be cheaper and quicker to extend the runway north across Leeville Pike.

32 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

I shudder to think how long, expensive, and messy it will be to rebuild I-40 through a tunnel.   I hope I'm long retired by then so I can just avoid driving through Lebanon altogether once that gets started.  Surely it would be cheaper and quicker to extend the runway north across Leeville Pike.

It should be fairly easy to place the cap over I-40, just $$$. It would be similar to building a bridge, just a bit longer. Ventilation would be required depending on length, but would most likely be required

It would make logical sense to do this and widening, at the same time...logical sense...

1 hour ago, LA_TN said:

It should be fairly easy to place the cap over I-40, just $$$. It would be similar to building a bridge, just a bit longer. Ventilation would be required depending on length, but would most likely be required

It would make logical sense to do this and widening, at the same time...logical sense...

This project is projected to go to design-build in 2023. I would expect the reason TDOT is thinking alternative delivery has to do with the runway cap.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LA_TN said:

Is it really going to be that easy?  I just can't see how they can just place a cap over I-40.  At that spot, I-40 is at the same elevation as the runway, maybe even a few feet higher.  They're going to have to do an awful lot of excavating  to get I-40 low enough to place a bridge or cap over it for the runway which will make that stretch of I-40 a royal mess for a couple of years.  The current end of the runway is just to the right of the interstate in this picture.

image.png.7841b750660451f8e3277535bd663d1b.png

Edited by jmtunafish

2 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

This project is projected to go to design-build in 2023. I would expect the reason TDOT is thinking alternative delivery has to do with the runway cap.

Exactly what does alternative delivery mean? does design-build mean they plan to start actual construction in 2023? Please explain. 

On 5/14/2021 at 4:22 PM, Luvemtall said:

Exactly what does alternative delivery mean? does design-build mean they plan to start actual construction in 2023? Please explain. 

The gist is, rather than doing a design, bidding it out to multiple contractors, then negotiating value engineering for cost purposes The contractor is contracted to client and the design team (rather than everyone being contracted to the client). This allows the pricing exercises to be done simultaneously to the design thus saving time and energy with the bidding and VE efforts. It also allows for valuable input on the construability of a project rather than waiting for all the documents to come out and the contractor submitting RFI after RFI to the design team. For certain projects like infrastructure, industrial and some residential it is very useful to take this approach. Some believe though that this approach takes a certain amount of "design say" away from the design team/client relationship, but in the instances I mentioned there tends to be less "design" in those projects anyways.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2021 at 4:22 PM, Luvemtall said:

On 5/17/2021 at 1:42 PM, Bos2Nash said:

The gist is, rather than doing a design, bidding it out to multiple contractors, then negotiating value engineering for cost purposes The contractor is contracted to client and the design team (rather than everyone being contracted to the client). This allows the pricing exercises to be done simultaneously to the design thus saving time and energy with the bidding and VE efforts. It also allows for valuable input on the construability of a project rather than waiting for all the documents to come out and the contractor submitting RFI after RFI to the design team. For certain projects like infrastructure, industrial and some residential it is very useful to take this approach. Some believe though that this approach takes a certain amount of "design say" away from the design team/client relationship, but in the instances I mentioned there tends to be less "design" in those projects anyways.

Alternative delivery is really any method other than the client/agency contracting with the designer, builder, etc. separately. Design-build (one method of alternative delivery) specifically in this context means that the client/agency requests bids on a project without final design plans and builders (contractors) hire a designer to produce the design so they can bid on it, with the winning bidder finishing the design with the agency's input. In the case of the I-40 widening, it will be released for bids in 2023, so if that schedule holds you might expect bid opening in 2023, design activities finishing in 2024 and construction through 2025-2026. You can see the rest of the planned TDOT alt-D projects here:

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/tdot/construction/Potential Alternative Delivery projects 1192020.pdf

Rather than design innovation, TDOT tends to use design-build either to get projects done in a hurry (I-65 interchange at Buckner Road, Interstate 440 reconstruction, Saturn Parkway extension, I-24/I-75 interchange) or to build projects they can't or otherwise don't want to fool with, often because it contains elements outside TDOT's control (also Buckner Road, Ocoee River bridge, Region 4 bridge bundle). This project (assuming the runway cap is included) would fall under the latter category.

• Like 4

Williamson Inc., the county's combined Chamber of Commerce and Economic Development Agency, says there have already been 12 formal requests regarding relocation to Williamson County in 2021.  Last year, there were 17. Several of these involve 250 to 500 jobs apiece. 

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2021/05/20/outlook-williamson-ecd-panel.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_34&cx_artPos=3#cxrecs_s

• Like 4

I don’t understand why Rutherford County / Murfreesboro / Smyrna haven’t spent more time developing the land along I-840 surrounding I-24 (which is also in close proximity to I-65 and I-40) for corporate relocations in the future.  Not that they will outdo Nashville or Williamson County…but could easily be #3 in the discussion…and bring in relocations if they provide infrastructure and up their game on $1 Million home building in the area.  

Smyrna is only 20 minutes from downtown Nashville and has a large corporate airport.  Murfreesboro is growing and offers some better retail / restaurants than they had 15-20 years ago.  Plus…the proximity to all of the local interstates is perfect.

murf smyrna corporate relocations.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, titanhog said:

I don’t understand why Rutherford County / Murfreesboro / Smyrna haven’t spent more time developing the land along I-840 surrounding I-24 (which is also in close proximity to I-65 and I-40) for corporate relocations in the future.  Not that they will outdo Nashville or Williamson County…but could easily be #3 in the discussion…and bring in relocations if they provide infrastructure and up their game on $1 Million home building in the area.  

Smyrna is only 20 minutes from downtown Nashville and has a large corporate airport.  Murfreesboro is growing and offers some better retail / restaurants than they had 15-20 years ago.  Plus…the proximity to all of the local interstates is perfect.

They’re marketing sites along Medical Center Blvd near the avenue as corporate relocation sites. I haven’t been that way in a while, but from what I remember that area is filling in quite a bit. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

It's happening off Veterans as we speak. St Thomas is going up and the proposed park has now been potentially changed to a business park area similar to the Fountains area off Medical Center. That being said, it get rather hilly once you pass the Veterans exit, so it may be a simple thing as geography holding back businesses. Tons of houses are going up in the area too. I moved out this way in 2014 and things have exploded all along Veterans. I'm seeing a LOT of "for sale commercial" signs going up. If we could just get a red light at the Veterans exit...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, satalac said:

It's happening off Veterans as we speak. St Thomas is going up and the proposed park has now been potentially changed to a business park area similar to the Fountains area off Medical Center. That being said, it get rather hilly once you pass the Veterans exit, so it may be a simple thing as geography holding back businesses. Tons of houses are going up in the area too. I moved out this way in 2014 and things have exploded all along Veterans. I'm seeing a LOT of "for sale commercial" signs going up. If we could just get a red light at the Veterans exit...

Where do you think the next “hot spot” along 840 will be after Vet Pkwy?  I’m guessing M’boro controls most of the land along 840 (I think Smyrna may control the land at the Old Jeff Pike and Alamaville Road exits).

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

Where do you think the next “hot spot” along 840 will be after Vet Pkwy?  I’m guessing M’boro controls most of the land along 840 (I think Smyrna may control the land at the Old Jeff Pike and Alamaville Road exits).

I'd think Jefferson Pike would be the next hot spot. If it weren't for the train tracks, Murfreesboro Rd (or Broad, or New Nashville Hwy or whatever it wants to call itself) would have been perfect.

• Like 1

Veteran’s Parkway is a good place for the “first strike” at a more corporate presence along 840 in Rutherford County.  

There’s some good farmland between the I-24 and MBoro Rd interchanges…but like you said Satalac…the railroad tracks hurt that scenario a bit…plus access.  And…you’re getting close to Stones River battlefield.

There seems to be a lot of farmland near the Sulphur Springs and Jefferson Pike interchanges that could provide enough land for corporate structures…but you do have to deal with the Stones River and maybe some flood plain issues?

Almaville Road area seems like it will be more residential…plus it seems a little more rocky in that area with less farmland.

RUTHERFORD UGB.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, titanhog said:

@satalacbeat me to it: Jefferson Pike. Gladeville could be the challenger, but with SRM already building HQ at Jefferson Pike, that could be enough to start the snowball rolling. Add to that, Jefferson Pike is about to become a 5 lane road

• Like 3

18 hours ago, satalac said:

I'm really annoyed about the 'proposed park' being converted into a business park. This land is really close to my house. Will be really interesting to see which builders get associated with this project because we certainly have a lot of folks with conflicts of interest in our Murfreesboro public offices at the moment (and have for awhile now that I think about it).

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, titanhog said:

The Murfreesboro, Smyrna, Lebanon, and Gallatin areas could really benefit from the densification of the 840 corridor in that area. Maybe not so much the connectivity to Franklin, because of the hilly geography. It's still possible for the portion that connects to Franklin to develop, but the cost of living/homes/taxes/infrastructure would be higher.  The areas east and north east of Murfreesboro is definitely doable. The land is flat and the plus of being close to 840.  Only if TDOT connected 840 upwards to either Gallatin or at the most I65N, it would have help spur some development in those areas. Also, building 840 upwards to I65N or Gallatin could have created more development near the Music Star.  

• Like 3