Surrounding Counties - Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, Maury, etc.

Rural King

• 2 weeks later...

Wait...redevelopment...does this mean some of those buildings are coming down??

Also...I don't know if Brentwood would want it to resemble Meridian Cool Springs (a suburban development that I actually find somewhat attractive)...anything that could be seen as urban and dense breeds crime according to Preserve Brentwood.

I don't think anything is coming down. This has been on the books for a while and I have a first round rendering that is about a year and a half old that wraps the mansion.

If that's the case, I'm not sure exactly what Boyle is going to do there. A hotel is nice (I have noticed a number of folks that walk commute to work -- I assume temporary work) from hotels on the east side of 65 to Brentwood (this is another time I say HEY BRENTWOOD, WOULDN'T IT BE AWESOME IF YOUNG PROFESSIONALS COULD LIVE IN APARTMENTS AND WALK TO THEIR JOBS?? WOULDN'T THAT HELP WITH...YOU KNOW...TRAFFIC??).

But the idea of creating another Meridian-style development without either tearing down buildings or adding parking garages is confusing to me. Brentwood already has ample restaurants and retail. What they don't have right in the "downtown" area can be found a few miles to the south in Cool Springs. What exactly is Boyle trying to do here?

Now I could see, if Brentwood wasn't populated by rich bumpkins and scared transplants, if Boyle wanted to buy the property, tear down or extensively remodel the buildings one by one, and create sort of a town center/downtown psuedo urban environment (like Meridian) that it would be worthwhile. A semi-urban office park, along with a hotel, and along with the adjacent Tapestry development...and the proposed-but-doomed-to-fail Streets of Brentwood (in any proposed form) would actually create a rather neat *NEW* subruban downtown.

But if he's just planning to stick some retail and a hotel on that property...it's probably going to look like a bunch of jumbled crap and really do zero for Brentwood (both from an urban design perspective, and a traffic/amenities perspective).

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of Ashland City, B&C, which stands for Bacon & Caviar catering, a barbecue restaurant and caterer located in the Farmer's Market and in the Melrose Kroger shopping center, has announed that they are opening a location in Ashland City, to be called the Ashland City Smokehouse or something like that.

A new Smyrna interchange could have regional and economic benefits. I decided to post this here given the potential road's effect on traffic patterns and development plans between Smyrna and Cool Springs.

http://www.dnj.com/article/20130710/MICRO0501/307100014/Interchange-plan-remains-iffy

This would go right behind my neighborhood in Smyrna. I'm kind of torn about it. I fear increased traffic through my neighborhood, but I do like the thought of quicker access to the interstate (not that it takes long to Almaville anyways). The plans for a 5 lane to Cool Springs is interesting as well. Right now I enjoy the drive down Rocky Fork, Clovercroft, Wilson and McEwen, but it can be a pain when stuck behind a slow driver. It would be nice to have a more direct route from Smyrna to Cool Springs, I'm just not sure the actual need for it. I'm sure it's mainly to satiate Nissan. 

The Downtown Franklin development is incredibly well thought out and planned. I wonder how the council meeting went last night.

I went to the meeting and I think it went well. There were only a few minor criticisms. Traffic being the biggest issue. They still have to strike a deal with the city on public funding for the 500 space parking garage. I think that will be their biggest battle. They also have to close on one more key property in order to move forward with the design as it is now. Otherwise, they will have to come up with a new layout. I hope it goes through. Franklin desperately needs a hotel downtown. 

The DT Franklin project is certainly interesting. I haven't decided whether or not I am fully in favor of it.

From the rough renderings and site plans, it does seem to be pretty well thought out...and Franklin seems to be ahead of the curve including Nashville) when it comes to providing parking access for its downtown (in an attractive setting).

The style/design elements appear to be appropriate for the area. I think the idea for a hotel is excellent.

Here are the concerns I am pondering:

-the scale of the project. The height seems appropriate. It's a little taller than most DT Franklin buildings, but not to the point of being out of place. In fact, I think up to 6 floors for a smaller footprint building would be fine. But this project is massive. It's a massive block of development. There is nothing even close in terms of footprint for something like this there. Even the abomination of the Franklin City Hall is about half the size.

-40,000 sq ft of retail is a decent bit...it's a lot for one time in a place like DT Franklin. What kinds of stores will they attract? One of the biggest draws of DT Franklin is that most of the retail is made up of local businesses, boutiques, and restaurants, lending to a unique feel to the area. Would this provide for an influx of chain stores? And while it is close to the main commercial strip (about 1.5-2 blocks walking distance), would it detract from the current retail experience there (basically, will this be the new destination downtown)?

-200 apartments 'may' be converted to condos. I think this is one location where I would just build them as condos. I'm pretty certain that they would sell like hot cakes. Forget the rentals. Nothing against rentals, but DT Franklin is more of a 'home ownership' type of place in my mind. It's not like Streets of Brentwood where I think high end rental units are badly needed.

-Buildings to be demolished. I'm going to go ahead and guess that with this proposal, none of the buildings slated to come down could possibly be on the historic register...that would make it a no-go from the start. But a number of buildings will have to come down. I'd like to take a closer look as to what will be razed before I give my thumbs up here. Off of the main strip, most of the houses are single family (or converted to businesses). Will a big ~4 story block of buildings take away from that feel? On the other side of downtown, you have the Franklin Brownstones, which I think are very well done...they take up about a half block...and they are taller (3 floors) than most of what surrounds them. But they are broken up into several different little blocks of buildings...so it doesn't lend to the same feel that a massive wall of building would.

I'm going to have to think about this for a bit. I'm not against the spirit of the project...but they could probably tweak a few things, especially on the back end where the apartments are slated to go.

• 2 weeks later...