Surrounding Counties - Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, Maury, etc.

Rural King

• 2 weeks later...

Cafaro announces major renovation of Governors Square Mall...

http://www.theleafchronicle.com/article/20140219/NEWS01/302190011/Carpeting-contemporary-design-coming-Governor-s-Square?nclick_check=1

This is our main mall and really hasn't been renovated extensively since opening in the mid-80s. Clarksville could really sustain another mall on the southeast/Sango side of town as well. Oak Grove has plans for an outdoor mall/movie complex already.

It's nice to see this happening. And I agree Whistle-Stop, with the growth between exit 8 and 11 plus a lot of in-fill housing development, the city should be able to support another major retail center. I know that the old mall on Riverside has posted signs for some time about increases in retail space, advertising spaces as large as 80K square feet. Doesn't seem as though anyone is biting though.

So the "big news" at CoolSprings is that Belk is expanding into the former Sears location.  Are we supposed to get excited about this?  Is this the best that CBL can do?  Yes, I know Belk has some nicer stores (like at Phipps Plaza in Atlanta) but seriously, this is just depressing.  What happened to trying to make CoolSprings more upscale?  Don't get me wrong, I like Belk, but a "flagship" Belk just doesn't sound all that special.  Why can Birmingham have a Saks and a Von Maur, but Nashville is stuck with just a Nordstrom and a "flagship" Belk for high-end department stores?

• Like 1

Cool Springs is in a funny spot for high end retail. It is obviously close to a very large base of wealth, and it has definitely attracted some higher end brands compared to most other areas of town....but it seem Green Hills still rules the rich in terms of shopping. My guess would be that if we do attract another nice brand, it will try to stuff itself into a small box in Green Hills before it will go to Cool Springs.

Now that I've had some time to cool down, I agree with what you said.  I suppose if another high-end department store comes to Nashville it would want to be in Green Hills, too.  I guess I was hoping that Von Maur--which has stores in suburban Birmingham and Atlanta--would be a good fit for CoolSprings.  I'd rather see a place like Saks or Bloomingdale's in Green Hills.  But who knows what will happen.  I remember reading somewhere that another CoolSprings development, I think on the other side of I-65, is going to have a few hundred thousand square feet of "upscale" retail which, hopefully, would include a Von Maur.

Belk's are lowbrow... cannot stand them and their stupid commercials.

Belk's are not lowbrow.For many small southern markets, they are the only true department store offering good deals for the community and generally have very friendly staff. The one in Murfreesboro is their basic (two-level) prototype similar to what you will find in many of their markets. It is on par with Kohls, J.C. Penney, Goody's, and below Dillard's.Their premier store, however, which is what is currently in Cool Springs is more on par with Dillard's and a standard Macy's. I have been to the flagship locations in SouthPark and Phipps Plaza and they are definitely on another level, much like a standard Saks Fifth Avenue (Birmingham) or Nordstrom (Nashville). If this store will be anything like those, then it is a great thing for the community.

Belk's are not lowbrow.For many small southern markets, they are the only true department store offering good deals for the community and generally have very friendly staff. The one in Murfreesboro is their basic (two-level) prototype similar to what you will find in many of their markets. It is on par with Kohls, J.C. Penney, Goody's, and below Dillard's.Their premier store, however, which is what is currently in Cool Springs is more on par with Dillard's and a standard Macy's. I have been to the flagship locations in SouthPark and Phipps Plaza and they are definitely on another level, much like a standard Saks Fifth Avenue (Birmingham) or Nordstrom (Nashville). If this store will be anything like those, then it is a great thing for the community.

Even the nicest Belk stores don't offer the high-end designer labels that Nordstrom and Saks carry. 

• Like 1