Surrounding Counties - Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, Maury, etc.

Rural King

What is downtown?  I haven't been in Clarksville (except driving past on I-24) in more than fifteen years.  Is their downtown showing signs of life?

The downtown has seen up and down periods since the tornado. Recently, there have been several local businesses close up shop or move out of the downtown area. Unfortunately, its just an inaccessible area for visitors and has long been a haven for lawyers offices that feed off of the courts complex and jail. Only a few retail and restaurant choices available.

They are building an upscale restaurant tied to the new Liberty Park and Clarksville Marina. It will come will some future added retail development on that site. Should boost the Riverside Drive area even more.

• Like 2

Key word "standard" Nordstrom and Saks. Trust me Nordstrom in Nashville carries dockers and clarks, those are certainly not high end. 

You refer to the Nashville Nordstom as "standard" which carries several designers that you will never find at a Belk (Gucci, Chanel, Dolce & Gabbana, Lanvin, Alexander McQueen, Armani, Versace, J Brand…from the top of my head). I'm not trying to be argumentative, but if you think the "flagship" belk will be on par with Nordstom (Nashville) then you will be disappointed. 

You refer to the Nashville Nordstom as "standard" which carries several designers that you will never find at a Belk (Gucci, Chanel, Dolce & Gabbana, Lanvin, Alexander McQueen, Armani, Versace, J Brand…from the top of my head). I'm not trying to be argumentative, but if you think the "flagship" belk will be on par with Nordstom (Nashville) then you will be disappointed. 

I never suggested it carried the same brands, but don't kid yourself about Nordstrom either. The one in Nashville is nice, but certainly not a Neiman's or even a flagship like what you will find in Seattle. There really is no reason to attack Belk and make it out to be "Wal-mart." By your pre-judgement I can confirm you've never visited a flagship Belk.

Are those apartments they're building on top of the hill behind Target in Smyrna?

Also...they seem to be building something on Sam Ridley next to the Goodwill drop off station.

Looks like apartments.  Was actually over there the other day.  Ate at Cheddar's with the parents.

One hotel next to I-24 in the 'Vue is topped out.  Looks like another one is beginning.  Normal suburban hotel types.  Not sure what the brands are.

New apartments are under construction near the Comfort Inn and Suites (Smyrna). Tire Discounters is also coming soon next to Discount Tire, don't ask lol.

Looks like apartments.  Was actually over there the other day.  Ate at Cheddar's with the parents.

One hotel next to I-24 in the 'Vue is topped out.  Looks like another one is beginning.  Normal suburban hotel types.  Not sure what the brands are.

Residence Inn by Marriott and a Holiday Inn.

Edited by Justiceham
  • Like 1

I never suggested it carried the same brands, but don't kid yourself about Nordstrom either. The one in Nashville is nice, but certainly not a Neiman's or even a flagship like what you will find in Seattle. There really is no reason to attack Belk and make it out to be "Wal-mart." By your pre-judgement I can confirm you've never visited a flagship Belk.

I would also definitely not place a Belk in the same category as Goody's. Somewhere between a JC Penny and a Dillards, to be honest.

This was posted in the Friends of the Music City Star Facebook page.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20140219/WILSON01/302190103/Lebanon-eyes-urban-development-Mill?gcheck=1&nclick_check=1

New apartments or condominiums, in a century-old complex of buildings just steps from Public Square and the depot for the Music City Star commuter train, may be in Lebanon’s future.

The Mill at Lebanon, which occupies 14 acres a block from the square, could include urban loft-style residences as part of its adaptive reuse of the former Lebanon Woolen Mill. The complex of buildings, built in 1908, also has 200,000 square feet of mixed-use space available for shops, restaurants, offices, events, artisan manufacturers, art galleries and museums. A hotel also is part of the long-term plan for the property.

I just imagine these would be popping up everywhere if we had a line to Murfreesboro or Franklin or even north/NE to Gallatain! Kudos to Mt. Juliet and Lebanon for taking advantage of the commuter rail.

• Like 1

I have heard about this proposal. Originally, an access controlled by-pass was proposed for Dickson as part of the Highway 70 corridor plan, but with Highway funding being cut to the bone, the Department has looked for other, 'smarter' ways to deal with traffic congestion.

One way is to use new technology to help operate traffic signals more efficiently along existing streets. New traffic signals are probably going to be added at low volume intersections in long, non-signalized stretches of the artery based on the 'Progression Warrant' which allows installation of traffic signals with signals dedicated to maintaining progressive signal control. 

Simply put, signals will platoon vehicles on the artery into groups so they can travel through progressively timed, well spaced green phased signals with little stoppage and delay.

The project apparently involves almost exclusively the installation of signals and fiber optic interconnection along with the traffic controllers required to coordinate them. Eight million sounds about right for such a project. Any roadway improvements would cost a lot more.

As for the marketing for DIckson Commons report, it appears to me to be a little  optimistic. There probably is a large area (I would not include southern Cheatham County) that is under served by a higher scale retail around DIckson, but it is very large and sparsely populated. And unless they are talking about  a Murfreesboro type 'The Avenues' project, I doubt it would be enough of a draw to get motorists to make 20 to 30 mile trips to support it. I don't see another 'The Avenues' in this proposal.

However, the TDOT project and the Commons project seem to be unrelated in my opinion.

Edited by PHofKS

Some construction photo updates by Tapestry in Brentwood. This thing is massive! I wonder why no one protested this development?

1925222_664655783573743_312843648_n.jpg

That thing is indeed massive! How many units is that?

You're right about the Nimby's. No protests here even though this thing looks to double* the population of Brentwood.

*obvious exaggeration for dramatic effect.

I was eating dinner with my grand parents last night in Brentwood and they told me about a survey they received from the city.  It asked questions generally about how they felt about the urbanization of Brentwood and increased traffic.  I told them that whom ever sent it was obviously trying to receive a specific response.  other wise I would have also received it.  but it seems apartment dwellers are not the target audience. 

I asked if they still had it so I could read the questions. I have a feeling they were written very carefully to get the response wanted. My grand parents said it was from the city and the city certainly wouldnt send out a biased survey.  I tried to explain that it happens all the time but they wouldnt listen.

anyway, from what my grandmother said it was clear that it was easy for them to make clear that they want no more large apartment complexes built, and no more large scale proposals. 

I was eating dinner with my grand parents last night in Brentwood and they told me about a survey they received from the city.  It asked questions generally about how they felt about the urbanization of Brentwood and increased traffic.  I told them that whom ever sent it was obviously trying to receive a specific response.  other wise I would have also received it.  but it seems apartment dwellers are not the target audience. 

I asked if they still had it so I could read the questions. I have a feeling they were written very carefully to get the response wanted. My grand parents said it was from the city and the city certainly wouldnt send out a biased survey.  I tried to explain that it happens all the time but they wouldnt listen.

anyway, from what my grandmother said it was clear that it was easy for them to make clear that they want no more large apartment complexes built, and no more large scale proposals. 

I say Brentwood could learn from Murfreesboro. Just keep the project a secret, approve it in secret meetings, and start building it immediately. If you build it they will come...or leave in Brentwood's case. Aside from the sarcasm, I think the major issue besides traffic concerns posed by the NIMBYs is that they are uneducated in terms of new urban development and what the look and feel of the designs mean in current times. They have the notion that apartment and retail always means a suburban style complex with a huge parking lot and Dollar General Store in front (Antioch). They think the area will become crime ridden and ruin property values, as evidenced by what they experienced in the past; suburban style, poorly planned thoroughfares, that are eyesores today (Broad Street in Murfreesboro or Dickerson Pike in Nashville). When Tapestry and the Synergy Projects prove successful, then you may begin to see a change in the attitudes of the residents.

• 2 weeks later...

Would it be possible to pin this topic similar to Murfreesboro? There is tons of development in Montgomery County, but this topic tends to get lost.

I would definitely welcome more news from Clarksville/Montgomery Co. I usually hear the big stuff, but with how much the city has estimated to have grown in the past few years, I feel like I'm missing quite a bit.

New commuter rail station at Hamilton Springs in Lebanon, from the Tennessean, with rendering...  http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/03/lebanon-developmentreceives-1-6m-grant-for.html

I really like this project and wish there were more like it around the rail stations. With the right mix of housing (townhomes, single family homes, apartments) and retail, this will definitley succeed.

Don't let the State legislature hear about this....might pass a law restricting all new rail stations from being built. Glad they didn't have to go through the state for any funds for this.

• Like 4

Wilma Rudolf blvd. is seeing lots of new development. Toyota is building a brand new dealership near Governors Square Mall, a few fast food restaurants have been approved, and a hotel is also under construction. Governors Square Mall has also been given the green light for renovations.