Surrounding Counties - Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, Maury, etc.

Rural King

Three buildings coming down today to make way for new hotel and apartments in downtown Franklin. The Hellers are going to make one last pitch to purchase City Farmhouse before the October start.

Is this the same development that everyone was throwing a fit over a few years back? Did it ever have a theater proposal attached to it as well? 

GM to build Cadillac SRX, add engine in Spring Hill

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/cars/2014/08/27/gm-confirms-plans-build-cadillac-srx-spring-hill/14682553/

General Motors is investing $185 million in small gas engine production in Spring Hill, along with moving assembly of the next-generation Cadillac SRX to the plant from Mexico.

• Like 1

GM to build Cadillac SRX, add engine in Spring Hill

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/cars/2014/08/27/gm-confirms-plans-build-cadillac-srx-spring-hill/14682553/

General Motors is investing $185 million in small gas engine production in Spring Hill, along with moving assembly of the next-generation Cadillac SRX to the plant from Mexico.

That's great news!

Albeit just inside Davidson County, AIG expanding by 200 jobs over the next three years. Also part of the announcement, they will build their new regional HQ in Seven Springs.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/09/aig-expansion-to-create-200-nashville-jobs.html

That seems sort of deceptive, since American General had its national HQ here (American General traced its roots to National Life and Accident, started in Nashville around 1900 -- built Tennessee Tower/Snodgrass -- owned WSM -- and Opryland....American General itself was based out of Houston, and bought another Nashville insurance company -- Life and Casualty -- eventually merged with National Life, but moved the HQ to Nashville -- which moved to its present location in the 90s). American General merged with AIG, and AIG kept it as a subsidiary until recently (I think the bad juju from the bailout prolonged their label under the American General name)....so with AIG taking over AG, that became a regional HQ instead of a national HQ. The article states they will be adding 200 jobs to 750 already there. IIRC, that location employed around 1,000 when I briefly worked there a few years ago...so in reality, this seems more like a jobs shakeup (or possibly the state giving incentives to bring a few jobs back) than a true "new investment" by AIG.

Still good news, but I find AIG to be a sketchy company.

Anyone know about about the work on the train tracks in Smyrna? They've been working on them for a while now and it appears they are adding a new line (I could be wrong, it may just be upgrading the current ones). Any chance this could be for commuter rail? I know CSX kind of killed the Music City Star line for Rutherford Co.

Heard on the news this morning that there is a planned study for a commuter rail from Clarksville to Nashville. I'm guessing this would be part of the Music City Star program. The details were limited.

Here is some info that was on News2

http://www.wkrn.com/story/26440570/remember-the-song-last-train-to-clarksville

• Like 1

Heard on the news this morning that there is a planned study for a commuter rail from Clarksville to Nashville. I'm guessing this would be part of the Music City Star program. The details were limited.

Hey, the more rail transit we get, the better, and I do understand that there are cost and rail rights concerns that kind of dictate where commuter lines can go, but it is a little bizarre to me that we seem to be going from back to front in terms of building the lines that would be most useful.  Well, I guess if that were totally the case we would've built a commuter line to Donelson or somewhere like that first, but anyway, my point is that lines to places like Williamson/Rutherford/Sumner are being put on the back-burner for lines to places with not nearly as many potential riders.  Why is that?

• Like 2