Surrounding Counties - Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, Maury, etc.

Rural King

We went Saturday afternoon for the Jazz and Wine portion of Rivers and Spires. There were 15-20 Tennessee local wineries offering tastings and wine/food demonstrations. It was a blast.

And, from my understanding, the tickets are used in order to ensure that the festival gets its fair share of the profits. Vendors could easily keep cash without the festival promoters ever knowing. It is an inconvenience, but I understand why they do it.

Edited by miami1855

We went Saturday afternoon for the Jazz and Wine portion of Rivers and Spires. There were 15-20 Tennessee local wineries offering tastings and wine/food demonstrations. It was a blast.

And, from my understanding, the tickets are used in order to ensure that the festival gets its fair share of the profits. Vendors could easily keep cash without the festival promoters ever knowing. It is an inconvenience, but I understand why they do it.

Yep, I was in that area also on Saturday afternoon and had the good fortune to see a few selections from the US Navy Band. Didn't sample any wines though.

The fiance and I were planning on possible coming up to Clarksville to visit with her friend and husband who has just returned from 15 months in Iraq this past weekend. The plans were to attend River and Spires event as well as it would have worked out perfectly, unfortunately they had a full house still with their family, so we went to Gatlinburg instead. Maybe we can catch it next year, it sounds like a great festival that we would enjoy - and possibly we can't catch/meet some local forumers at the event as well.

^ Good to see that Clarksville is in the mix, I was just mentioning in the East Tennessee forum topic on this subject that I hear much about the Clarksville mega-site in contention for auto plants, then low and behold it is in the running for the plant. This just goes to show that Tennessee has great mega-sites to offer for manufacturers across the state as at least two of our mega-sites have made just about every short list for all the recent auto plants built in the US. They didn't mention the West Tennessee Auto Park site in Crockett County (WTN) though, and I am pretty sure it is still TVA certified, or at least was.

Anyways, I have to give TECD and local communities across Tennessee kudos for their great efforts to bring new businesses and economic opportunity to every region of the state.

I think the VW plant would be great for Clarksville. However, we really need more white-collar jobs in this town.

We have never had any trouble attracting industry. We really need businesses and corporations that attract higher-paying jobs. This would also benefit Austin Peay in that these companies could either co-op or develop working relationships with certain degree fields at the university.

But, a VW plant could help in that its high profile, high media attention could attract these type of businesses. So, it could be a win-win for Clarksville.

I think the VW plant would be great for Clarksville. However, we really need more white-collar jobs in this town.

We have never had any trouble attracting industry. We really need businesses and corporations that attract higher-paying jobs. This would also benefit Austin Peay in that these companies could either co-op or develop working relationships with certain degree fields at the university.

But, a VW plant could help in that its high profile, high media attention could attract these type of businesses. So, it could be a win-win for Clarksville.

I agree fully with you, miami1855, that Clarksville needs more white collar businesses and jobs. It is severely deficient in that area.

I also do not completely understand Clarksville's prioritizing getting an auto manufacturing plant. To be sure, such a facility would bring a lot of jobs to Clarksville and if that is the bottom line then so be it. However, the trend in the auto industry is toward severely decreasing wages and benefits for new hires and many areas of automobile assembly which were once performed by company employees are now outsourced. Many employees now going into work at an auto plant are actually Temps who work for some Temp service and they receive only a fraction of the wages and none of the benefits. The UAW has been trying to force auto manufacturers to at least hire a temp into the auto company if that temp has worked there x amount of time.

At any rate, one of the reasons I do not understand cities trying to lure these auto manufacturers (aside from creating jobs) is that one reason auto manufacturers were able to gain such high wages at about $25-$35 an hour is because that industry has an abysmal injury rate. Surgery or the need of surgery is commonplace as workers are especially susceptible to repetative stress disorders but also traumatic type injuries as well. Hence, I would think any city would want better for its citizens than to see so many of them crippled. It could potentially be good for physical therapists, pharmacys and physicians in a city but auto companies have brought all that "in-house" too.

The majority of the workforce in Clarksville, and in most of Tennessee, have skill sets that are more in line with manufacturing employment, so it makes sense to me that cities and the state try bring the most and best jobs in this category as possible. White collar jobs are not very useful if folks won't qualify for them or have the skill sets to tranistion into them. Cities of course still need to try to attract white collar jobs to diversify their labor-force and create new opportunties for younger more diversely trained workers entering the labor market, but when the majority of your workforce would benefit from blue collar manufacturing and/or service sector employment, then that's what you have to go after.

My understanding and experience is that most Japanese and German manufacturers treat and pay their employees very well. Unfortunately the examples I can think off the top of my head that use "temps" in the fashion described are all U.S. based manufacturers, which is not to say it's exclusive. It also seems to be mainly the US auto makers, and esp. some of their subsidary supply firms, who are having to cut wages, use temps, etc. to stay competative against their better managed competitors who have not had not incurred "legacy" benefit liabilities from operating within the US labor market for decades.

If Clarksville lands VW I think you will be pleasantly suprised at how good an employer and corporate citizen the city will have landed. I have never seen or heard of a city that has a foreign owned or domestic auto-maker who has not reaped substantial benefits for its local workforce and community. Look at Princeton, IN; Smyrna, TN, Bowling Green, KY; Canton, MS, Spartanburg, SC, etc. I doubt any of those cities would trade their plant for a white collar operation, as that is simply not the right demographic fit for those cities or their workforce at this point.

The majority of the workforce in Clarksville, and in most of Tennessee, have skill sets that are more in line with manufacturing employment, so it makes sense to me that cities and the state try bring the most and best jobs in this category as possible. White collar jobs are not very useful if folks won't qualify for them or have the skill sets to tranistion into them. Cities of course still need to try to attract white collar jobs to diversify their labor-force and create new opportunties for younger more diversely trained workers entering the labor market, but when the majority of your workforce would benefit from blue collar manufacturing and/or service sector employment, then that's what you have to go after.

My understanding and experience is that most Japanese and German manufacturers treat and pay their employees very well. Unfortunately the examples I can think off the top of my head that use "temps" in the fashion described are all U.S. based manufacturers, which is not to say it's exclusive. It also seems to be mainly the US auto makers, and esp. some of their subsidary supply firms, who are having to cut wages, use temps, etc. to stay competative against their better managed competitors who have not had not incurred "legacy" benefit liabilities from operating within the US labor market for decades.

If Clarksville lands VW I think you will be pleasantly suprised at how good an employer and corporate citizen the city will have landed. I have never seen or heard of a city that has a foreign owned or domestic auto-maker who has not reaped substantial benefits for its local workforce and community. Look at Princeton, IN; Smyrna, TN, Bowling Green, KY; Canton, MS, Spartanburg, SC, etc. I doubt any of those cities would trade their plant for a white collar operation, as that is simply not the right demographic fit for those cities or their workforce at this point.

Hello Rural King,

I do hear what you are saying and can concur with much of what you have stated. For instance, I will in no way deny that cities and communities reap tremendous economic benefits from such an industry. My point is at what cost to the vast number of people who actually work there. I have worked in one such facilty for over 15 years.

It is not just the US manufacturers which use Temps extensively. As a matter of fact, Nissan outlined plans to its workforce about one year ago an idea borrowed from "The Big Three" whereby work is now designated as being either "core" or "non-core"; "non-core" meaning any individual job which is not directly and physically involved with actually placing a part on the car as it is being built. "Non-core" jobs would be filled by temps "through attrition." That is worth 600 forklift operator jobs alone.

Toyota has been considering another idea; In a fairly recent memo produced and circulated amongst Toyota Management, they stated that when they first entered the US market as a maunfacturer that they used the big three as a benchmark for hourly wages. However, they stated, Toyota is now the leader in the industry and can now set the benchmarks. Rather than paying wages established within the industry they are looking into paying wages comparable to all industries in a region which, of course, would bring the hourly wages down considerably to around $15 per hour.

Yes, I agree that the city officials would not want to rid themselves of the Nissan plant and see it as a definite economic plus for the city. Afterall, Canton and the Jackson area was in desperate need for jobs and Nissan supplied them. However, I have not been looking at it from that perspective but from the perspective of the ones who obtained jobs there. Canton has had a most difficult time retaining workers and the Canton workforce is not a happy one in the least. After having written the last sentence, I just did a quick Google search for an old article I once read about the vast number of workers leaving the Canton plant. I found a few other articles instead such as the one provided below where a Mississippi Senator called the plant a "slave labor camp."

article

A big albatross hanging around the necks of the American Manufacturers is their vast number of retirees and the cost for their penchants and continued healthcare. The foreign transplants do not have that expense as of yet to any large degree and make no mistake that the transplants do NOT want to find themselves in the same position. they are doing everything possible to avoid it. Tis better to rid themselves of older workers before they retire than to keep the promises made to them when hired.

The Nissan Smyrna plant opened in 1981 and many would be entering reitrement but one does not hear of very many retiring because not very many of those then hired remain. Most don't make it! Of the 16 new hires (along with myself) within my original small workgroup over 15 years ago, only four of us are still employees and of that four only one of us has not had surgery due to some work related injury - that one being me - although I have been carried to the hospital once and have had more cuts, contusions, sprains, etc., that I can even count. Walking is now difficult and became so when I was still in my 30's.

My prediction is this; Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn will close the Smyrna plant within the next 5 - 8 years.

You think I will be pleasantly surprised by VW? Ha, I've been in this business too long for that. BTW, people at work, Management included, consider me to be a "company man" and one of the better attitudes. Unfortunately, they are right.

Here is a link to a Tennessean article about the possibility of a large insurance company relocating to middle Tennessee. They talk about Franklin (Cool Springs) and Nashville (DT in the AT&T building where Nissan is vacating) being two possibilities. Hopefully, Nashville can snag this one to help DT office vacancy, sorry Franklin.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...9/80507062/1164

The possible relocation of a division of the Jackson National Life Insurance Company to either Cool Springs or the AT&T building without incentives sounds great. This is a very positive sign that the Nashville metro is becoming quite attractive business locale via its own synergy and merits, perhaps enough so that incentives will play a less important role in luring new businesses/industries during these slower economic times nationally.

I sure hope it goes to DT, but I fear it won't because if it comes down to Franklin v. Metro, Franklin is always willing to shell out the cash to get businesses, sadly. BTW the Brentwood thing hasn't really panned out.... it's going, but it's a VERY, VERY slow process. If you go down there and look you'll hardly notice it's under way.

Thanks for the reply franktown. I haven't been to Brentwood in awhile. I am also guessing Franklin will win. Oh well, at least they are in middle TN and if they are coming from Mich. then it might bring more Predwings to town (helping the hockey image, even if they do cheer for the Red Wings)! :lol:

Edited by timmay143

As much as I hate it, it's good for the region as a whole to have companies here; even if they're in Wilco. For instance, Nissan is doing the partnership with the Nashville Symphony to help Metro Schools even though they're going to be in Wilco.... a rising tide lifts all boats. It's just too bad they'll end up in CS instead of DT.

CODA breaks ground on Camden Commons in Franklin.

http://nashville.bizjournals.com/nashville...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

There is still a lot going on in the greater Nashville area despite the slow down. This is a 70 million dollar project. By the time these finish the market should have corrected itself. This is going to take 3 years to complete.

A good article today in the Leaf Chronicle about the resurgence of downtown residential construction. One project that was mentioned was the planned 2nd Street Lofts and mentioned a rendering by the Architects, Lyle, Cook & Martin. I like the work of this firm and was wondering if that rendering is available to view on the internet?

I love the fact that more people are building and moving to the downtown area. Hopefully this will generate new life for that area of so much potential. All the projects do seem like small ventures thus far but it's a start.

Edited by Fallingwater

A good article today in the Leaf Chronicle about the resurgence of downtown residential construction. One project that was mentioned was the planned 2nd Street Lofts and mentioned a rendering by the Architects, Lyle, Cook & Martin. I like the work of this firm and was wondering if that rendering is available to view on the internet?

I love the fact that more people are building and moving to the downtown area. Hopefully this will generate new life for that area of so much potential. All the projects do seem like small ventures thus far but it's a start.

LCM does most of the architectural work for Austin Peay. While their work is solid, I see it as mediocre. I know there are budget constraints with any state school that limit what can be done. However, it seems as though they design the same types of buildings each time. I would like to see a little "envelope pushing" by them. Clarksville and APSU could both use the added building character.

LCM does most of the architectural work for Austin Peay. While their work is solid, I see it as mediocre. I know there are budget constraints with any state school that limit what can be done. However, it seems as though they design the same types of buildings each time. I would like to see a little "envelope pushing" by them. Clarksville and APSU could both use the added building character.

Insofar as LCM is concerned with respect to APSU I am only familiar with the new Rec. Center and I do consider that building to be very aesthetically bland especially on three sides of it! However, I thought the Courts Bldg. and FM Bank buildings, while not daring, were nice additions to downtown and complimentary of the surrounding architectural landscape.

That being said; I have no objection to someone pushing the envelope as you say - daring and bold! I do not like the idea of a city that sees its downtown as being completely married to what builders erected back in 1890.

So, how are the people of Clarksville reacting to the "Worst City in the Country" label?

With much jocularity from what I have read especially since the city just adopted the new "Tennessee's Top Spot" slogan which nearly everyone seems to hate. In regard to that slogan, many asked the question; Top spot in what? So now the slogan has some true meaning.

I think the distinction was worst city in the country to raise a family. Well, I think nearly everyone would strongly disagree with that, myself included. It is far from the worst place in the country to raise a family although I would not consider it anywhere near the best either. The funny thing is that Clarksville has rated quite highly in other such studies and polls such as Places Rated, etc.

• Like 1