Surrounding Counties - Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, Maury, etc.

Rural King

Im happy to see new stores come to town, but I really desire a Trader Joes! 

Id like a Whole Foods too but would strongly prefer a Trader Joes. 

It is a Fresh Market though. If you read the hints in the article (not saying you didnt) then Fresh Market is the only one that fits. 

I would also like to say that the new Starbucks on Memorial Blvd is progressing. Its across from Hastings. Seems to be a secret as I haven't seen it on the planning agenda nor have they installed any signs outside. 

BJ's Brewhouse at the avenue is coming along, too. I wonder if that whole space between Macaroni Grill and Culvers will be used or just half?

I think it sounds more like a Sprouts as they have around 160 stores and usually open in large parking lot formats. Also the fact that they mention bulk organic items tells me it's a Sprouts. They are headquartered in Phoenix and are expanding rapidly. Hendersonville and Huntsville will also have stores very soon. I like Fresh Market though. 

The Fresh Market was founded by Ray and Beverly Berry on March 8, 1982 in Greensboro, North Carolina. The Berrys' idea was to develop a better grocery store that brought back the feeling of open European-style markets.[2] The company operates 160 stores in 25 states, located in the Southeast, Midwest, Mid-Atlantic, Northeast, and West with plans for continued expansion throughout the country. Their first store in the West opened in October 2012 in Roseville, California.However in March 2014, the company announced that it was closing all three of its Sacramento area stores including its Roseville store.[3]

From Wiki... (take it for what it's worth)

"I can't say who it is, but it's something we've been looking for," he said after the meeting, adding the company has about 160 stores nationwide.

From DNJ

In Cool Springs on Carothers north of McEwen there are two apartment complexes being built. One on each side of Carothers. Does anyone know the name of them?

Crescent Cool Springs on the east side which just finished construction and Cameron at Franklin Park to the west, I was told first move-ins are happening this month.

• Like 1

Fresh Market has a store in Chattanooga, in a shopping strip at Gunbarrel and Shallowford (a high traffic intersection). It's been there for years, and does steady business.  Chattanooga also has a Whole Foods, which actually bought a "home grown" store Greenlife.  It also does good business on the North Shore. These stores do go where the money is. 

I really like The Fresh Market and am delighted to see that they're expanding to Murfreesboro.  Frankly, I don't understand why they don't have more locations in the Nashville area than just the one in Brentwood.  They have two in Knoxville and three in Memphis.  It is definitely an upscale store, but it's more than a stretch to refer to it as an "organic grocery store."  It does have some organic produce and meats, but no more than they have at Publix.  Anyone who thinks that The Fresh Market is like Whole Foods will be sorely disappointed.  On the other hand, the meat department at The Fresh Market is outstanding, and their bakery isn't too bad, either.  And until Publix came to Knoxville, The Fresh Market was the only place in town where I could find some stuff I used to get when I lived in France.  The cheese selection alone is a good reason to shop at The Fresh Market.

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 1

It could be I guess. Ive never been in one before. Id actually prefer that I think over a Fresh Market. 

Is it like a Whole Foods?

Knoxville was supposed to get one but Im not sure if they are sitll or not. 

It is a hybrid between Whole Foods and Trader Joes. They have all the same departments (meat, deli, bakery, etc.), but their stores are in an open format and typically not as large as Whole Foods. They are significantly less expensive than Whole Foods because they offer most of their items in bulk. No fancy shelves, snobs, or Hipster gimmicks. Just quality food and service that have been missing in Murfreesboro. I have petitioned all of the organic stores to come to Murfreesboro, and after reading the comments it sounds like Fresh Market is finally coming. Whole Foods and Trader Joes managers and reps told me they have no interest in Murfreesboro because our demographics don't meet the requirements. Fresh Market's hot bar and deli are very very good. Kroger better watch out.

I really like The Fresh Market and am delighted to see that they're expanding to Murfreesboro.  Frankly, I don't understand why they don't have more locations in the Nashville area than just the one in Brentwood.  They have two in Knoxville and three in Memphis.  It is definitely an upscale store, but it's more than a stretch to refer to it as an "organic grocery store."  It does have some organic produce and meats, but no more than they have at Publix.  Anyone who thinks that The Fresh Market is like Whole Foods will be sorely disappointed.  On the other hand, the meat department at The Fresh Market is outstanding, and their bakery isn't too bad, either.  And until Publix came to Knoxville, The Fresh Market was the only place in town where I could find some stuff I used to get when I lived in France.  The cheese selection alone is a good reason to shop at The Fresh Market.

Yeah it's definitely not an organic grocer lol. All the hype had me laughing. I am also surprised Nashville doesn't have any more locations either.

• Like 1

Frankly, I don't understand why they don't have more locations in the Nashville area than just the one in Brentwood.  They have two in Knoxville and three in Memphis.

I am not totally surprised they don't have a bigger presence. While they have a very good meat and a solid bakery, they don't seem to carry the same weight with name recognition that places like Whole Foods do.

Nashville is also sort of a grocery/market battlefield. Obviously Kroger and Publix are the giants, but there are also a handful of Harris Teeter stores, a couple of Whole Foods, and a Trader Joes, all which have some level of overlap on the upscale or trendy crowd that Fresh Market caters to.

What surprises me is Fresh Market's strategy (or lack thereof). The aforementioned places are all located south/southwest side of town (Green Hills, Belle Meade, Brentwood, Franklin). That's a crowded market for a niche store like Fresh Market. While not as large or concentrated, there are definitely other parts of town where I believe a store like that would thrive. Murfreesboro is one of those places. The area between Hendersonville and Gallatin is another. Perhaps Mount Juliet as well.

My parents live less than 5 minutes from 2 Krogers, 2 Publix, Harris Teeter, Fresh Market, and a Walmart Neighborhood Market. Fresh Market should seriously look at some areas with just one or two other options in the area. 

• Like 3

I have sad news. Mr Chens, my favorite Chinese restaurant, on Thompson Lane has closed. Its being replaced by Fulins. 

Does anyone know what's going into the old Fulins at the Avenue?

Whatever it is, they've taken a vacant space next door to incorporate as well. My guess is that it's probably a huge restaurant, but nobody knows just yet.

Aww... The Avenue location closed?  :cry:

My first job in Murfreesboro was at Fulin's right after they opened. I had just moved to town and was a poor, broke college student--that place treated me well. Lots of memories there.

I have sad news. Mr Chens, my favorite Chinese restaurant, on Thompson Lane has closed. Its being replaced by Fulins. 

Forever 21 is moving from Stones River Mall to The Avenue. Honestly, I hope we don't get stuck with a dead mall, but SRM is slowly being picked apart and with 2 anchor tenants that are in less than stellar financial standing (Sears & JCPenney) the clock is ticking. 

Forever 21 is moving from Stones River Mall to The Avenue. Honestly, I hope we don't get stuck with a dead mall, but SRM is slowly being picked apart and with 2 anchor tenants that are in less than stellar financial standing (Sears & JCPenney) the clock is ticking. 

I hope we don't either, but it is looking pretty empty inside the mall. I just walked in there last night and the only place that was somewhat busy was Dillard's and it is not even attached to the mall. I don't see Sear's being open another year, same goes for J.C. Penney. The mall needs better anchors and tenants to compete with the Avenues. A Macy's would be a welcome addition to the mall as well as a sporting goods store like Gander Mountain. 

Kind of shocked... Sprouts instead of Fresh Market.

I thought so when they mentioned the bulk grains part. This is great news. Sprouts is a full service grocery store, and a much needed addition to Murfreesboro. They also mentioned at the planning commission that two high end restaurants will also be part of the site...interesting what "high end" will mean lol when they just approved a strip center to be anchored by Arby's across the street.

Edited by Justiceham

I thought so when they mentioned the bulk grains part. This is great news. Sprouts is a full service grocery store, and a much needed addition to Murfreesboro. They also mentioned at the planning commission that two high end restaurants will also be part of the site...interesting what "high end" will mean lol when they just approved a strip center to be anchored by Arby's across the street.

Wouldn't really call it high end, but J Alexanders would be a great addition to the Boro and would do well with the higher incomes on the North Side. 

Edited by Rocky@theTop
  • Like 1