Surrounding Counties - Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, Maury, etc.

Rural King

12 hours ago, opendrawerwhore said:

Murfreesboro would be nice.  Off 840 and Veterans Parkway?

There is lots of land there and easily accessible to 24 but I think it would have to have visibility from 24 or 65 if it is to be successful.  I'm thinking maybe off of Joe B. Jackson and 24 or maybe just south of the new I-65 Goose Creek interchange in the southern Franklin. I'm still not sure Nashville needs another outlet center though.

On 6/14/2016 at 10:28 AM, MLBrumby said:

French energy management and automation giant Schneider Electric has received IDB incentives for what is believed will be their American HQ.  The incentives are for the 1150 jobs with an average salary of $73k.  The governor's office is expected to make an announcement soon. Below is what their buildings (278k s.f.)at Two Franklin Park will look like. I have not been in that area in the past year or so, but I understand there are several clones of this building already underway/completed. Seems like there's on that's taller than the rest. 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/williamson/franklin/2016/06/14/williamson-approves-tax-incentive-schneider-electric/85845078/

635839544191975006-TwoFranklinPark.JPG

I work for this company.  I did not believe the N.America HQ is moving.  But the amount of jobs threw me.  So maybe you are correct.  The HQ moved from near Chicago to Boston a year or so ago.  There was a previous announcement of office people from La Vergne and Nashville Air Park would move to Cool Springs/Franklin a month or more ago.  Gee, you'd think they might want to tell the employees about this.  The offer of incentives would only apply to new employees, I assume.  There is already 800 to 900 at the existing facility's.  I guess what is confusing me is the article makes it seem like all new jobs.  After second look it is more like 250 new jobs.

Edited by nashbill

If you haven't heard of an HQ move, then it probably is not one.  I was repeating the speculation in the article and don't know for sure. Certainly Schneider has a lot of employees in the Nashville MSA.  It could just be a consolidation of area employees. Sounds like it is.  Perhaps a regional HQ.  No announcements have been made yet. Understood it will be made by Gov. Haslam. 

No, it still may be a North American  HQ move.  The Boston move was weird.  The Chicago area office was never closed.  I know Schneider Electric wants a highly visible building along an Interstate. Kind of like Nissan.  SE is trying to get there name known.  it is a large global company with about 200,000 employees headquartered in Paris.  It is pretty unknown.

9 hours ago, titanhog said:

If they had the new exit in Smyrna, that land between Sad Ridley and Almaville Rd would be good.

They are planning an exit at Rocky Fork Rd (and I believe a direct connection to Enon Springs) at some point. But I don't think that would be a great spot.

Also, "Sad Ridley" is a good name for that road.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2016 at 0:11 AM, opendrawerwhore said:

Murfreesboro would be nice.  Off 840 and Veterans Parkway?

No no no no no. That's how I get to work in the morning and I don't want that traffic! 

Every large lot out there has been getting zoned commercial though. I know it's just a matter of time until Veterans is full of stop and go traffic. There's just not enough traffic in that area for something like a large outlet mall. Across from the Avenue would be a MUCH better area for it. 

It is scheduled to be widened soon.  

7 hours ago, satalac said:

No no no no no. That's how I get to work in the morning and I don't want that traffic! 

Every large lot out there has been getting zoned commercial though. I know it's just a matter of time until Veterans is full of stop and go traffic. There's just not enough traffic in that area for something like a large outlet mall. Across from the Avenue would be a MUCH better area for it. 

That area is already congested and last I heard that person who owns that land across from the Avenue is not interested in selling...  That would be a nice spot for more retail though.

15 hours ago, markhollin said:

Looks like the A-Game Sports Complex is going to remain in its original form with a new ownership group in the works.  So, no office conversion after all. Good news for all of the hockey and volleyball teams/leagues that utilize that space.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/06/29/theres-a-new-deal-for-a-game-sportsplex.html#i1

It's what the owners should have worked out in the first place.  If the leagues had been told the owners needed to sell...I know for a fact those leagues would have joined together to find the money to purchase the building.  They even found the money and made offers once the owners told them they'd have to vacate...but the owners already had the other fish on the line (the one that eventually got away).

In the end...the owners wasted a year...and probably a lot of money...and they had a buyer already in the building this whole time.

• Like 2

Saw a sign beside the Lowes on Sam Ridley for a TJ Maxx.  I remember that before the recession a plan for a JC Penney anchored shopping center was planned for that wooded area.  Does anybody know if they are going ahead with the shopping center?  I've never seen TJ Maxx as a standalone building before.

So there is a Sears still open within 20 miles of me.  They should give up the ghost.  K-Marts are pretty desolate as well.  They may be clean but always have that dirty unkempt look about them.  Where is Roebuck?  Maybe he could fix this mess of these stores.  Who owns these stores now and are they purposely trying to bankrupt them.  To think that the iconic structure in Chicago is now called the Willis tower.  Sad places, sad spaces. 

The remodel at Stones River Mall never quite caught on as it was done around the same time the Avenue Mall was completed.  I think most people prefer the Avenue because of its accessibility.  Stones River mall is convoluted and small and the parking is limited.  As far as Sears is concerned, I have just not had a compelling reason to visit in 5 years.  The mall is adding a multiplex which should help traffic, but where would they park?  Sears parking lot I guess.

Jimmy O.

I really hate to see Sears go south as a company. As a tool lover, they hold a special place in my heart. Sears/Craftsman tools have historically been the go-to brand for the average joe. While they have never been the "Cadillac" of tool brands, they have always been high quality and the lifetime guarantee kept people coming back. As a tool lover and recreational woodworker, I own several craftsman tools that I bought for dirt cheap and brought back from the dead. Jointer, drill press, router table. All of which are 30-50 years old. Cast iron tables are as true as new and the motors hum like the day they were made. Good quality American made tools that will out live me if taken care of. 

Unfortunately, the tool business has reached a sad state of affairs. The box stores lure people in with cheap house brands (kobalt) where you can buy a hammer for $4. They last about one day. They also entice people with professional name brands on power tools (dewalt, makita) where the cast iron has been replaced with stamped aluminum and the belt driven motors have been replaced with dangerous direct drive motors. But people will pay to have those professional names in their shop.

If you want to step up to good quality, craftsman/professional grade tools (powermatic, jet), you're looking at spending thousands.

Sears/Craftsman will be missed whenever it finally goes. And I'm afraid that may be soon. Even Craftsman "believers", such as myself, are beginning to shy away from the brand. What good is a lifetime guarantee if the brand dissolves? 

• Like 3