Surrounding Counties - Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, Maury, etc.

Rural King

Sumner County was always isolated, transportation-wise, with no freeway until State Route 386 (Vietnam Veterans Blvd.) was extended about a decade ago. Former Governor Bredesen's shelving of the north loop of I-840 was also a killer.

Even with 386, Gallatin is still not very well tied into the freeway system. SR 109 needs to be 4-laned all the way to I-40. It will take some time to catch up.

• Like 2

Any one been down to the new massive Berry Farm's development in last few months?  It's incredible how big it is, incompassing 3 different parts and they are just getting started on the residential part.  This is the project that will contain Dave Ramsey's new offices.  I mainly work in Davidson county and was surprised to see that much development south of the main exit for Franklin.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wreynol4 said:

Any one been down to the new massive Berry Farm's development in last few months?  It's incredible how big it is, incompassing 3 different parts and they are just getting started on the residential part.  This is the project that will contain Dave Ramsey's new offices.  I mainly work in Davidson county and was surprised to see that much development south of the main exit for Franklin.

Someone who gets around that part of town needs to take some pictures for us too see. I wonder how large it is

On 1/3/2017 at 8:27 PM, SumnerCountian said:

I look around all of the growth happening in Williamson Co. and Rutherford and I just do not understand why the civic leaders of Sumner county are not doing more to attract similar business ventures into our county. I know much of the problem stems from the fact that there are those in power that would be very happy going back to just being a quiet little suburb of Nashville and not have to face the issues with all those "outsiders" moving into our area. Not very progressive minded.

I've personally witnessed state and county civic leaders try to woo industry to Gallatin.  As well, there has been a campaign for several years from the local ECD folks to live and work in Gallatin.  I think there were billboards at some point.  Are their efforts enough?  All subjective to one's perspective.

http://www.gallatingetsit.com/now-hiring/

• Like 3

Interesting conversation on growth in Spring Hill: a friends neighbor who was a city planner for Spring Hill just left his job and moved to another state. The reason for this was because he had had it with the city not listening to him regarding the dire need for sewer upgrades, etc.  According to the friend, and this is second hand info, if ONLY the construction currently planned now is built, the city will exceed their sewer capacity in 2.5 years.  However, they're not even sorta slowing down on construction projects.  Makes me wonder how other municipalities are doing in relation to this.  I know Williamson is making some water plant improvements, but the rest is a mystery.

From today's Nashville Post:

According to information RE/MAX of Tennessee has released in its Market Trend Report, the average price for a home sold in Murfreesboro in December increased by about 20 percent compared to the figure of December 2015.

Specifically, the median price for a home sold in the Rutherford County city in 2016 was about $242,000. The figure was $202,000 the year before. 

On 1/3/2017 at 9:59 PM, MLBrumby said:

So here's an interesting tidbit (for some of us anyway)... around the next census, it's possible that Willco will have 245-250K... Rutherford will have 335-340K... and Davco 730-735... which altogether (1,290-1325K) will exceed the total MSA population just 20 years earlier... 2000's 1235K.  And regarding Sumner, it's growing fairly rapidly... just not steroidal like the other three.  It should be nudging 200K by 2020. There are several huge housing developments that will draw thousands of people there as a less expensive alternative over the next five years. 

It is easy to forget how big Rutherford County is.  It is now larger than Lexington-Fayette County in Kentucky which is Kentucky's second largest city and a center for educations, banking, healthcare, etc., for the eastern half of Kentucky.  The urbanity isn't as intense as Lexington, but in terms of populations and economy is more sizable.  My hope is that Rutherford starts looking at itself as being more akin to an urban center as opposed to a suburban county. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hey_Hey said:

It is easy to forget how big Rutherford County is.  It is now larger than Lexington-Fayette County in Kentucky which is Kentucky's second largest city and a center for educations, banking, healthcare, etc., for the eastern half of Kentucky.  The urbanity isn't as intense as Lexington, but in terms of populations and economy is more sizable.  My hope is that Rutherford starts looking at itself as being more akin to an urban center as opposed to a suburban county. 

But part of the problem is the "urban growth boundaries" that were drawn back in the early 2000's.  You suddenly have this little war going on between Smyrna and Murfreesboro over the boundary close to I-840...which is even encouraging sprawl with both cities.  There's already one huge, new development along that border that is in the drawn-up Smyrna UGB...but the developer petitioned Rutherford County to make it part of Murfreesboro, and they gave it to Murfreesboro.  So Smyrna is doing all it can to hold onto that Almaville Road exit on I-840 as part of their city limits...meaning they are spending time and money trying to develop an area 10 miles from their center and providing services to what many would consider Smyrna's own "suburbs."  Murfreesboro is doing the same thing.

Smyrna really needs the new Rocky Fork exit on I-24...but the state / feds demand that they first make a bunch of improvements on Sam Ridley...and also show that the exit has "regional" benefits.  So...to show regional benefits, they propose lengthening Rocky Fork away from the heart of Smyrna's "urban" district and on into the county...towards Almaville Road and eventually spurring a large highway all the way to I-840.  This will encourage even more development from Smyrna to the Williamson County line south of Nolensville all the way to I-840.  Smyrna is having to focus so much attention on their southern border to ensure they don't lose any of it to M'boro that they aren't able to keep up with their more "urban" core the way they should.

It's hard for me to see how Smyrna will be anything other than suburban for a long time...and probably Murfreesboro, too (thought there's a little more hope for Murfreesboro).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hey_Hey said:

I would say that there is a difference between the two. Both have just over 300k population, but that's where it stops. Rutherford has just 482 persons per square mile in 619 square miles. Lexington-Fayette has 1,107 persons per square mile in a small 284 square miles. Lexington is an actual city of its own accord, whereas Murfreesboro is a secondary one that has reached such growth virtually entirely because of its proximity to Nashville (it didn't even break 10,000 residents until the 1950 census or 25,000 until 1970). To be equal to Lexington's urbanity, Rutherford would have to be closer to 700,000 people.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fieldmarshaldj said:

I would say that there is a difference between the two. Both have just over 300k population, but that's where it stops. Rutherford has just 482 persons per square mile in 619 square miles. Lexington-Fayette has 1,107 persons per square mile in a small 284 square miles. Lexington is an actual city of its own accord, whereas Murfreesboro is a secondary one that has reached such growth virtually entirely because of its proximity to Nashville (it didn't even break 10,000 residents until the 1950 census or 25,000 until 1970). To be equal to Lexington's urbanity, Rutherford would have to be closer to 700,000 people.

So... in a couple of years then

• Like 2

Didn't the state pass a law a couple of years ago stating that cities can no longer annex land unless the people affected vote for it?  If so, I think that will put a halt to a lot of the wanton annexations that have been going on, Urban Growth Boundary notwithstanding.  I'm not sure what kind of impact that new law has on urban/suburban sprawl or how it affects the rampant suburbanization of Rutherford County.

5 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Its so funny that Eagleville has Urban growth boundaries. Raise your hand if you have been to Eagleville. Then you would know what I am talking about.

Used to go through there before part of SR-99 west of I-65 was commissioned as US-412.  It's been probably not since 1978 that I last was in Eagleville.   Urban growth boundaries?  That has to be a joke.  I've had more reason to go to nearby Allisona, an even smaller Podunk.

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1